Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Skin conditions and traveling

Skin conditions and traveling

Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1p
Leprosy is not very contagious at all and is spread by cough or sneeze - not contact with the skin lesions. If the person is getting blood, pus or weeping fluid on the armrest, the concern would be HIV or hepatitis only if he/she were infected. Otherwise, unsightly, but not a risk.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'd be totally revolted too unfortunately for the man that can't help it. I would of done everything I could to stand in the galley or wherever for as long as possible to avoid sitting next to him.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: US Gold
Annalisa12: That comment is a full explanation of why people who grow up with skin conditions as adults snarl at people who comment on their skin.

wg
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
that is really gross, and I would have asked the FA for a blanket to cover my arms and shoulders--ugh.
Sorry, that is not a "hazard of travel" that is total inconsideration for others--we dont know whats contagious or not!!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wendyg
Annalisa12: That comment is a full explanation of why people who grow up with skin conditions as adults snarl at people who comment on their skin.

wg

she said nothing about commenting on it, just that she didnt want to sit next to him.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:44 pm

While I sympathy for people with skin conditions like that if you have open sores that are oozing pus they need to be covered full stop. The skin condition itself may not be contagious but who knows what else they may have that could be spread.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by wendyg

wg
I don't COMMENT on their condition. I would just not want to accidentally touch that person if their condition was like the poster explained - bloody and oozing.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nlkm9
that is really gross, and I would have asked the FA for a blanket to cover my arms and shoulders--ugh.
Sorry, that is not a "hazard of travel" that is total inconsideration for others--we dont know whats contagious or not!!
+1

Best reply to this post. Asking for a blanket is totally a great idea. Not making a big deal out of what is probably a harmless condition, but covering yourself up just to feel a little better about the situation.

Overall, this post makes me think that traveling with long sleeves is also the best solution no matter what. I almost always due because I freeze on planes, but I suppose there are other reasons.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club

Imagine sitting next to this guy. The good news is, he's not going to use the armrest.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Imagine sitting next to this guy. The good news is, he's not going to use the armrest.

Love it. Anything that gives me full control over the armrest is ok with me. Just give me a plastic bag and a blanket and I'm fine.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have asked the FA to be reseated. The condition itself may not be contagious (and as I doc I wouldn't know) but there are dozens of diseases that can be transmitted by blood / pus, and it is not a chance I would take.

Yes, I feel badly for the passenger with the skin condition, but first and foremost is my own health and safety. I wouldn't call attention to it, simply speak to the FA in the galley and ask to be reseated. Chances are, that would also benefit the passenger with the sore arms, as the last thing he would want is me knocking against him.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by emma69
I would have asked the FA to be reseated. The condition itself may not be contagious (and as I doc I wouldn't know) but there are dozens of diseases that can be transmitted by blood / pus, and it is not a chance I would take.

Yes, I feel badly for the passenger with the skin condition, but first and foremost is my own health and safety. I wouldn't call attention to it, simply speak to the FA in the galley and ask to be reseated. Chances are, that would also benefit the passenger with the sore arms, as the last thing he would want is me knocking against him.
Why should you be reseated? The FA should re-seat that passenger.....OFF THE PLANE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.