Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Checking in luggage to a connecting city.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

I am in a strange set of circumstances at the moment, I have a situation whereby I can reclaim expenses on a flight between point A and point B.

I've found flights on EK that connect through BKK then through to my final destination, part of the condition of reclaiming expenses is that the flight must go straight there and not take any stopovers.

Has anyone ever bought a ticket and managed to have their luggage checked to a specific point en route rather than their final destination? I want to leave the plane at BKK and buy another ticket onto my final destination.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Some carriers will permit it and others will not. Some agents will do it and others will not. Even if a carrier says that it allows it, you may hit an agent who won't.

If you want to defraud whoever is buying your ticket, just take hand luggage as the allowance is so large that it should not be a problem.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Some carriers will permit it and others will not. Some agents will do it and others will not. Even if a carrier says that it allows it, you may hit an agent who won't.

If you want to defraud whoever is buying your ticket, just take hand luggage as the allowance is so large that it should not be a problem.
^^^

I can do up to 10 days with carry-ons and that includes 3-4 pairs of shoes and a whole ton of make-up and hair supplies. Wear "mix and match" generic-looking clothing so you can reuse it without being noticed. Don't pack pj's unless you absolutely have to wear them, etc..

If you're in BKK, you might sweat too much to re-wear clothing, so expect to pay for hotel laundry, which shouldn't be too expensive there, or get the company to pick up the tab. (I assume you're going for business if someone is paying for it?)

If you can't handle living on carry-ons alone then you're risking quite a bit as airlines can be quite difficult for unusual questions. It really is hit and miss and depends more on the person checking the bag than policy.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I've spent 2-3 months out of a carry-on so thats not an issue, unfortunately in this instance I'm moving residence so being without my luggage isn't possible.

I think I may choose a flight with a long (9h+) layover then use that as an excuse to need my luggage as I will be using a hotel outside the airport for the duration.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: PLT AA 2MM, Silver US, DL, NW

this seems like a hidden city ticket. while you are unlikely to get caught, it is inappropriate
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why not ask your employer/client to buy you a ticket from A to B?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's call short-checking. Some airlines won't allow it, some will at the passenger's choice, and some will force you to short-check if there is a long layover. Maybe check the EK board here?

The whole concept of "hidden city" usually involves an uncompetitive fortress hub airport and a third city where healthy competition exists. Even if you miss a connection, you haven't necessarily committed a CoC violation in the airline's opinion - it typically has to be done for the purpose of evading the fortress hub's fares. I don't know where BKK fits into the grand scheme of things, but as long as your destination isn't someplace with notoriously cheaper fares than BKK fares, it's unlikely to raise any kind of red flag.

Have you priced a multi-city itin? Why not do that, and price the regular A-B fare, and offer to pay the client/employer the price difference between A-B and A-BKK,BKK-B? Seems like that'd be easier than what you propose, which could theoretically find itself rerouted in the case of IROPS. Probably less expensive for you as well, a win-win-win for all.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
Why not ask your employer/client to buy you a ticket from A to B?
I read it as the client *will* buy a fare from A to B, but not A to BKK and BKK to B. OP wants to buy A-B, with a connection in BKK, and then later buy a separate BKK-B.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:41 am

If you're relocating due to an employer, you should have enough leverage to insist upon the ticket that you want. I wouldn't work for a company that would not be somewhat flexible under these circumstances UNLESS they were paying me beaucoup bucks.

....Of course if they are paying you that much, perhaps it would be wiser to just buy your own ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:26 pm

Go to the airport super early, so if the gate agent does not want to short check it you have time to make your case to the on duty supervisor. Repeated polite requests some times does the trick.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
If you're relocating due to an employer, you should have enough leverage to insist upon the ticket that you want. I wouldn't work for a company that would not be somewhat flexible under these circumstances UNLESS they were paying me beaucoup bucks.

....Of course if they are paying you that much, perhaps it would be wiser to just buy your own ticket.
Employment isn't the case.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:17 am

So what exactly *is* the case? Why not buy a multi-city itin or just two tickets?

The short-check, in this case, seems designed to deceive *someone*. Maybe not the airline, as I don't see FT full of great hidden-city stories involving BKK. But someone nonetheless...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
So what exactly *is* the case? Why not buy a multi-city itin or just two tickets?

The short-check, in this case, seems designed to deceive *someone*. Maybe not the airline, as I don't see FT full of great hidden-city stories involving BKK. But someone nonetheless...
I am, I'm buying a ticket to point B with a long layover then not taking the connection.
I'll pay my own way to point B from thereon.

Simples.

Last edited by khizman; Aug 13, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by pinniped

^^^

I'm sure the OP had good intentions, but I don't really know if he'll get very helpful responses.

It's ok to say that it's for personal reasons, but unless we know the reason for this mysterious dilemma, it's difficult to give good advice.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Have you considered shipping your luggage to HK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.