Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Upcoming travel quandry/expediting passport- advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming travel quandry/expediting passport- advice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by rsqrott
Thanks, everyone, for all of the suggestions. His current plan is to apply for a 2nd passport now, cancel his appointment with the Brazilian embassy and reschedule it for after he's back from Mexico. If he expedites the 2nd passport via the USPS (no need for confirmed travel plans) it gives him ample time to receive the 2nd passport (3 weeks) and have it on hand for subsequent trip to Mexico while the first passport is in the process of getting a Visa.

Thank you for this, and for the detailed outlined. My husband likes it. It makes me nervous as he may have to leave for Mexico on the 24th and his appointment at the embassy is on the 18th. But if he chose this option and he was in fact traveling on the 24th he'd already have his tickets by then.

However, this brings up another question. If he uses his existing passport when he books the tickets for travel to Mexico, then uses a second passport when he actually uses the tickets to travel to Mexico won't there be a problem with him having a different passport #? I'm assuming that the 2nd passport will have a different #.

NYC is close enough, I commute there every day for work and would welcome his company on the train so going to the passport agency is no more of a hassle than getting downtown on a regular work day .

Thanks as well, MSPeconomist, for the suggestion on getting a passport card as well and for the info that 2nd passports are only good for three years. This kind of travel should only be a temporary thing for him.
Don't bet on 3 weeks expedited, my husbands "expedited" passport took over a month. That was in May.
On the plane ticket bought with old passport and flying with new, I just went online to our flight NYC to Dublin and edited his passport information.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rsqrott
However, this brings up another question. If he uses his existing passport when he books the tickets for travel to Mexico, then uses a second passport when he actually uses the tickets to travel to Mexico won't there be a problem with him having a different passport #? I'm assuming that the 2nd passport will have a different #.
It is not a problem to book with one and check in with another. The airline will want to verify the details and update the flight manifest but otherwise not a problem at all.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
you can get a passport in a few hours in downtown NYC at the passport agency. Personally, I'd have just gone there and applied for a new one and a 2-year valid second one. Yes, it costs a few extra bucks, but I'm assuming these trips are for business, not to mention less aggravation of waiting for something to come back in the mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.