Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

letting the window seat deplane - what's the protocol....

Old Jul 27, 15, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

...b/c I almost lost a leg last night..... thanks dude!

so I like to sit in a window seat, I admit. Last night deplaning from DTW-BWI, I was in 2D. There were three rows of FC behind me. The nice gentleman in 2C handed me my luggage from the OHB and then cleared the aisle. I was the next one to "go", right? WRONG. the moron behind me nearly knocked me back into my seat attempting to brush past me. Had I not been holding on to the seat I truly would have fallen. Luckily, I was able to get my bag in the aisle and deplane before him and I don't think I delayed him for more then about 3 seconds before he needed to rush off to the brain surgery he was leading........ (it was 11:20PM, Sunday night)

what the heck? This has happened enough recently that I'm wondering, is it the expectation that those in the window should deplane last OR should deplaning happen by row number (unless one needs to "swim upstream" to retrieve their bag then it makes more sense to let others pass, first?) Thoughts?

and one final note, the flight was not delayed, we were supposed to get in at this time, in fact we were a bit early in case someone wonders if the moron was "making up lost time" or something............
Old Jul 27, 15, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First class is a designation for the seating chart, not the people who occupy those seats.
Old Jul 27, 15, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
First class is a designation for the seating chart, not the people who occupy those seats.

People should always yield to those ahead of them who are ready to deplane.

So rude.
Old Jul 27, 15, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie View Post

So rude.
I see the same thing every single flight I'm on. Front or back. Usually by the same sort of d&ck head that puts his elbow in my rib cage in an attempt to block out "his" arm rest territory the entire flight. Or the Sky Priority gate lice that clamors around the priority boarding lane knowing full well they aren't in FC, yet, feel the need to clog it all up anyway. Or the morons that stand right at the edge of the baggage claim carousel instead of standing back so everyone can see, then stepping forward when they see their bag. People are so self-indulged and self-important these days that nobody can be bothered to take the time to act civilly.
Old Jul 27, 15, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
post of the week ... and it's only Monday!
Old Jul 27, 15, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1P, Starwood Plat
I've given up with assuming order takes precedence. When I am on window I wait for a normal person who sees me waiting or for a break and I slide out. I may force my way if I have a tight connection but even then I save a few seconds. A lot of this goes to what kind of person you are. Considerate people will act that way all the time and vice versa.
Old Jul 27, 15, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie View Post

So rude.
And how is one to know if the person is ready to deplane? I've often seen people who appeared ready, only to watch them get into the aisle and spend the next few minutes attempting to coax their bag out of the overhead.
Old Jul 27, 15, 9:17 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I look on it like the merge lane on a highway. Some people will let you merge into the aisle, and some will speed up to deny you entry. My feeling is if you are in that big a hurry to get somewhere, I'll let you go. Makes things go smoother.
Old Jul 27, 15, 10:07 am

If anyone in any of the rows ahead of me are ready and waiting to get out of their row, I stop to let them out.
Old Jul 27, 15, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Marilu View Post
If anyone in any of the rows ahead of me are ready and waiting to get out of their row, I stop to let them out.
This . . . .

and

Originally Posted by tvnwz View Post
My feeling is if you are in that big a hurry to get somewhere, I'll let you go. Makes things go smoother.
This.

Old Jul 27, 15, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.6MM, IHG Spire Elite
I usually have an aisle seat, I always allow the window seat person to leave in front of me.
Old Jul 27, 15, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM (segs), Hilton DM, Marriott Pt, TSA Opt-out Platinum
In general, it should always be the forward row who goes first, unless they defer to the peeps behind them (i.e. if they need to swim upstream for a bag). But good luck with this anywhere outside of North America. In Europe/Asia/Latin America, people don't seem to respect lines. They'll run right over you.

Originally Posted by soxfanndc View Post
he needed to rush off to the brain surgery he was leading........ (it was 11:20PM, Sunday night)
Haha, this makes me think of all the posers that fly around in scrubs. I once asked an ER doctor friend about why people would wear scrubs on a flight (because obviously they'd be contaminated)? His answer: "Because they're D-bags".
Old Jul 27, 15, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

Just scream "just like an elevator, people!"
Old Jul 27, 15, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
And how is one to know if the person is ready to deplane? I've often seen people who appeared ready, only to watch them get into the aisle and spend the next few minutes attempting to coax their bag out of the overhead.
well by that logic all aisle seats on the plane would be off before any window seats get a chance to get out.

If you are ready to go and step into the aisle as soon as the person next to you clears, I will let you step into the aisle and let you get your bag. if its big I might even help you get it down (I typically only travel with a shoulderbag as carryon so I have my hands free).

But if you are still sitting on your butt by the time its your turn I will not wait for you, I will fly past in under a second while you start to get up.
Old Jul 27, 15, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
post of the week ... and it's only Monday!
Yep

Search this Thread