Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

letting the window seat deplane - what's the protocol....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:01 pm

Heh. Amusing thread. My wife and I travel on Southwest four or five times a year. I am typically in the aisle seat, she is in middle. She likes it that I will step up out of the aisle seat and physically block the aisle and let her out. I remind her that I fly a lot and know how people act, don't want her to get run over!

I encountered same getting off a flight from MGA Sunday. Was up in the big seats, had some guy push right past while I was extricating myself from my row and grabbing my carry-on. I'm not slow at either, by the way. Came out of the gateway to find him having to wait at the top for his traveling companion, who hadn't had the opportunity to push past me. I made a remark to my traveling companion that he must be in a real hurry to get to Customs to be so rude. He then showed up in Global Entry with us! Sigh.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting thread. I don't often remember my dreams, but one I do recall having more than once involves my getting out of my aisle seat to deplane, only to be slammed to the ground and trampled by pushy passengers from seats further back.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Efrem
They are not "filtering" into anything. If they're seated forward of you, standard protocol is that they leave before you if they're ready.
When I say filtering, I mean they weren't in the queue, only when the Aisle pax from that row moves do they then get a chance to join in to the queue.

Like me, I usually have a window seat and cannot join the queue straight away, only when the people next to me are gone can I then get in behind them in the queue(filtering in).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Given that it takes a lot longer to move sideways from a window seat than forward, if the aisle seat passenger just leaves there's plenty of time for another passenger or two to get past that row before the middle seat passenger is even ready to enter the aisle. But as we've seen, some people don't care about the 50 people standing behind them because invisible people don't matter.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
If I'm sitting in the aisle, I'll get out and back up a little to let the person at the window get out.
Most flights I've been on follow this procedure.

Most people at the window do give some indication they want to get out by turning, getting up a little etc although there are occasions when they're in no rush.

A couple of times I've had a seat mate in the aisle who showed no inclination for moving so you can't go anywhere even though you're giving him an indication that you want out.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My approach is when the light goes off to get up from my aisle seat, take a half- step back, open the overhead, retrieve my bag and let the people in the middle and aisle seat go out before me. I'll even help them get their bags out of the overhead to move things along faster.

I have the advantage of being tall and wide enough that pushing or attempting to go by me will be a futile and unrewarding experience.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by sethb
Given that it takes a lot longer to move sideways from a window seat than forward, if the aisle seat passenger just leaves there's plenty of time for another passenger or two to get past that row before the middle seat passenger is even ready to enter the aisle. But as we've seen, some people don't care about the 50 people standing behind them because invisible people don't matter.
Why not reserve a seat closer to the door?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Why not reserve a seat closer to the door?
I take whichever seat is available. These days I usually book early enough to be forward in C+; but Irrops had me in the last row for one flight last month.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Most people at the window do give some indication they want to get out by turning, getting up a little etc although there are occasions when they're in no rush.

A couple of times I've had a seat mate in the aisle who showed no inclination for moving so you can't go anywhere even though you're giving him an indication that you want out.
whether the window or middle makes an indication or not, and whether they are getting off the plane or not, the truth is, they're not going anywhere until the people in the rows ahead move.

if i'm in an aisle several rows back, it is far more comfortable to sit in my seat, rather than stand at my seat. either way, neither i nor the person in the window or middle are moving until the people in front of us move.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by crabbing
whether the window or middle makes an indication or not, and whether they are getting off the plane or not, the truth is, they're not going anywhere until the people in the rows ahead move.

if i'm in an aisle several rows back, it is far more comfortable to sit in my seat, rather than stand at my seat. either way, neither i nor the person in the window or middle are moving until the people in front of us move.
I would rather get myself into the aisle ASAP so when people in front do start moving, I go with the flow rather than being held back (especially if I've a connection, want to get somewhere etc.)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:03 am

Interesting thread...I always sit in the aisle seat and have always stepped back to let my row out. The immediate passengers in front of me do the same and, judging from the empty seats as I am leaving the plane, others do the same.

I understand that the flow may work better, but the way I have seen people act, it may take awhile for those I left behind to get into the aisle to leave.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jane42
Interesting thread...I always sit in the aisle seat and have always stepped back to let my row out. The immediate passengers in front of me do the same and, judging from the empty seats as I am leaving the plane, others do the same.

I understand that the flow may work better, but the way I have seen people act, it may take awhile for those I left behind to get into the aisle to leave.
You mean those in your row? It won't, because someone a row or two behind you will stop and wait for someone in his row to get into the aisle. That delay creates a gap into which the other people in your row can step.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I always have a window seat,as I always travel with hand baggage only,I am in no rush,I let everyone get off,then stroll past the baggage claim whilst they are all still waiting for their luggage.easy,works every time.^
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K

I have to agree with some of the posts that imply the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... it's unfortunate that those if us who try to be efficient have a perceived rudeness. I won't push past anyone but if you haven't lifted your butt out if your seat and I will only occupy our intersection for less than a second, I'm moving along. Having said this, when I'm in the aisle waiting for the for the door to open, I offer to grab bags for folks, again to get everyone off faster

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.