Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

letting the window seat deplane - what's the protocol....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

letting the window seat deplane - what's the protocol....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
My self imposed rule is:-

If people are in front of me and moving to get out of their seat then I will wait till they move, sometimes to my detriment when they start reorganising their carry on in the aisle.

If they seem to be waiting for any reason then off I go past them. Just a mixture of common sense and politeness.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
Slightly off topic, but somewhat related. When on 757 and the door is in between F and Coach, I'm always embarassed when I'm UG'd and they FA is holding the coach pax back so we can deplane. That's on case where it is being rude to the other pax, though the FA means well, I hate it.
I agree on that one, sort of. The F pax should have priority; but when there's a gap in the F pax leaving, there's no reason not to let some Y pax through. (And I say that as someone who flies Y a lot more than F.)

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I think you are out of sync with the general notion of politeness. I hear what you are saying, but cooperative behavior, in addition to making life more pleasant overall, has been shown to have evolutionary advantages. As someone upthread has said, it's just a few more seconds at most, and contributes to the general good feeling in the cabin. It is true that there are people who take their sweet time, but most do not, and most people (myself included) really appreciate it when people smile and signal me through out of my window seat. It's just a quality of life thing, and probably more important than getting to the nasty gate area 10 seconds earlier.
They're "cooperating" with the 3 people they can see, and "dis-cooperating" with the 50 people standing behind them.

And it's not "just a few more seconds". It might be only an extra 10 seconds per person, but for someone 20 rows back, that can be over 10 minutes. I've missed connections by less.

Originally Posted by dgilman
Again, you seem to be confusing inconvenience with rudeness, and/or equating inconvenience with rudeness.

It may be inconvenient that people are in line (or on line if you prefer) ahead of you. But the fact that they are there is not rude.
If they're in line (in the aisle) ahead of me, fine. But it's the people who aren't in the actual line but who (to use your terms) cut in that I object to.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 29, 2015 at 12:07 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member. Suggest using multi-quote feature.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Then there are also the ignorant few who having aisle seat and get their overhead bag before seatbelt signs go AND then charge up the aisles 10 rows or so as soon as plane stops but before seatbelt buzzer/light goes off to say you can
These are certainly the most special ones.

Was on a CR9 a couple days ago. Guy in 4C stayed on his laptop all the way through landing, despite the FAs telling him to put it away multiple times during their final cabin walkthrough. (Sidenote: Dude needs to get a privacy screen. From 5B in a dimmed nighttime cabin I couldn't help but see all the onboarding materials from his (very large) consulting firm, read the reviews on the wallet he was buying off Amazon, and observe him set up a new fantasy football league at Yahoo Sports.)

We hadn't even turned off the runway when he stood up to pull his backpack down, and was waiting at the 1L door with the FA yelling at him while we were still turning to pull into our gate, a solid 10-15 minutes ahead of schedule.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Yeah, that's also one thing that I don't like either. I've seen the FAs stand in the aisle, with their arms spread out wide and their back to the passengers, so that all of F can deplane first.

I've also been sitting in the bulkhead row on the 757, and been told by the FA that I have to wait to F deplanes. Nope, the door is right there, and I'm heading out of it as soon as it opens.
If you're on the left side (ABC) then you should certainly exit first, so as not to be in the way of F pax.

And there are times when I'm in F that I take several minutes to repack stuff. I've never seen them block Y pax during that time.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hdtv4me
Or the Sky Priority gate lice that clamors around the priority boarding lane knowing full well they aren't in FC, yet, feel the need to clog it all up anyway.
GAH, this is definitely one of my pet peeves. That said, flying Air China was a lot worse. The boarding order was ignored by all, including the GAs.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by sethb
I agree on that one, sort of. The F pax should have priority; but when there's a gap in the F pax leaving, there's no reason not to let some Y pax through. (And I say that as someone who flies Y a lot more than F.)
Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. Nothing says F has priority on deplaning. A large share of those in first paid the same fair as those in coach but got an upgrade because the airline couldn't sell the seat. I fly DL and have DM status, but I'm no better than anyone else on the flight. Granted, many in F would agree with you however.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. Nothing says F has priority on deplaning. A large share of those in first paid the same fair as those in coach but got an upgrade because the airline couldn't sell the seat. I fly DL and have DM status, but I'm no better than anyone else on the flight. Granted, many in F would agree with you however.
It's DL (or at least most FAs) who think F should have priority. It makes sense to me that they do; it's something that provides more value to F, allowing DL to make more money at no cost.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ND76
What is really interesting (er, depressing), is the way that women are treated by men during the deplaning process...
My wife, a PM, who often travels by herself and gets upgraded quite a bit, reports the same treatment from time to time.
Not disputing their experience at all - I watched by wife being purposefully pushed back into her seat row so that a rogue passenger could walk by - but I have been rudely and callously pushed by female passenger on numerous occasions.

Here in Asia, [edited by Moderator: the pushing is] quite gender and age neutral and come from all layers of society, though in North America, I have only be pushed by females and I always attributed this to them being above the law. But your experience tells me that it is a more complex phenomenon .

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 29, 2015 at 12:12 pm Reason: Per FT Rule 12.2, to respect FT's diverse, multi-cultural community.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
This is one of those threads that makes flyertalk such a great - and entertaining - place to be. Totally love Often1's comment about first class and sethb's "oozing into the aisle" - way too funny and true. I wish everyone here a quick and efficient way off your next flights
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ND76
That really frosts my tushie.
Heaves to Betsy!!!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
I usually have an aisle seat, I always allow the window seat person to leave in front of me.
Same here, though as with at a 4-way stop, if you pause/hesitate for more than 2-3 seconds, I'll proceed.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
The way I see it, people are going to filter into the line from their middle/window seats, the further back in the plane you sit, the more people will filter into the line ahead of you.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
I usually have an aisle seat, I always allow the window seat person to leave in front of me.
Exactly what I do also.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:38 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Had a chap yesterday standing behind me while I was letting wife and daughter out on a 737. Before my daughter could step out he started squeezing past me. I turned around and asked him "can I help you?". He stopped and waited.

But I do the same even when not family - as long as you're ready to go, and I am sitting on the isle seat, I will block the way for you to get out... (as long as you're ready to go).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by chris19992
The way I see it, people are going to filter into the line from their middle/window seats, the further back in the plane you sit, the more people will filter into the line ahead of you.
They are not "filtering" into anything. If they're seated forward of you, standard protocol is that they leave before you if they're ready.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.