Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

letting the window seat deplane - what's the protocol....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

letting the window seat deplane - what's the protocol....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by sethb
Being polite to 3 people at the expense of the 50 people waiting in the aisle behind you is not, overall, any sort of politeness. It's extreme rudeness. Just because you can't see the other people doesn't mean they don't exist.

Planes would empty a lot faster if right of way belonged to the people in the aisle who are already moving and ready to get off the plane at full walking speed, rather than the people who have to slowly climb into the aisle.
I think you are out of sync with the general notion of politeness. I hear what you are saying, but cooperative behavior, in addition to making life more pleasant overall, has been shown to have evolutionary advantages. As someone upthread has said, it's just a few more seconds at most, and contributes to the general good feeling in the cabin. It is true that there are people who take their sweet time, but most do not, and most people (myself included) really appreciate it when people smile and signal me through out of my window seat. It's just a quality of life thing, and probably more important than getting to the nasty gate area 10 seconds earlier.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by hdtv4me
I see the same thing every single flight I'm on. Front or back. Usually by the same sort of d&ck head that puts his elbow in my rib cage in an attempt to block out "his" arm rest territory the entire flight. Or the Sky Priority gate lice that clamors around the priority boarding lane knowing full well they aren't in FC, yet, feel the need to clog it all up anyway. Or the morons that stand right at the edge of the baggage claim carousel instead of standing back so everyone can see, then stepping forward when they see their bag. People are so self-indulged and self-important these days that nobody can be bothered to take the time to act civilly.
Odd, I don't really witness it. Maybe I'm just seeing the first 2-3 rows ahead of me. The carousel thing I see ALL the time. Sometimes it's tempting to just stand to the left of them to block their view.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by dgilman
No, you're not.

Just because your actions inconvenience someone else doesn't mean you are being rude. Rude means "offensively impolite or ill-mannered"..
Really? Is the definition that narrow?

I always found people who waste my time rude. Those being slow cashiers and staff who chat with customers while there's a line ... that matches my threshold for 'rude'.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:18 am

It's not like I could reach their bag without rudely shoving them out of the way. But maybe that's what I should do.

My point is that just because someone seems ready to slowly ooze into the aisle, that doesn't mean he's anywhere near ready to get off the plane.

By waiting for the person in the seat in front of you to get in the aisle, you're being nice to one person and rude to the 50 standing behind you. But because you're not looking at them, they don't matter.
Seems a little absurd to me... The only situation I can think of that would make your point is if a person stood there waiting 30 seconds for someone to get out while the aisle ahead had no others in the aisle as they had already deplaned. But just to let someone in and get going (assuming they move quicky) is not being rude to those in higher number rows. To imply otherwise is a little DYKWIA'sh, IMO.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Being polite to 3 people at the expense of the 50 people waiting in the aisle behind you is not, overall, any sort of politeness. It's extreme rudeness. Just because you can't see the other people doesn't mean they don't exist.
Again, you seem to be confusing inconvenience with rudeness, and/or equating inconvenience with rudeness.

It may be inconvenient that people are in line (or on line if you prefer) ahead of you. But the fact that they are there is not rude.

David
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
What is really interesting (er, depressing), is the way that women are treated by men during the deplaning process.

About 10 years ago, my 21 year old daughter (an FO in those days) and I were sitting in row 4 of the F section on a 757 on a BWI-SLC sector. She was the only female out of 24 F pax. She was sitting in the aisle seat. When we got to SLC and the bell rang, she got up and was promptly pushed aside by a couple of DYKWIA-style goons. My wife, a PM, who often travels by herself and gets upgraded quite a bit, reports the same treatment from time to time.

One would expect better from successful men, to show a little common courtesy toward women.

Fortunately, there is an abundance of courtesy on most flights that I am on. Not all, but most.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: UA-S
My personal favorite are those in any given ERJ/CRJ/other small jet who blindly push everyone out of their way to deplane as soon as possible only to wait on the jetway with everyone else to retrieve their gate-checked bag. No airline is safe from this particular flyer.

Always makes me feel better when their bag is among the last delivered.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rmorenc
Always makes me feel better when their bag is among the last delivered.
^

Likely because they were also pushing and shoving during boarding to be the first ones to have their bag loaded. I've found that most of the time with pink tags, first on = last off.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by ND76
What is really interesting (er, depressing), is the way that women are treated by men during the deplaning process.

About 10 years ago, my 21 year old daughter (an FO in those days) and I were sitting in row 4 of the F section on a 757 on a BWI-SLC sector. She was the only female out of 24 F pax. She was sitting in the aisle seat. When we got to SLC and the bell rang, she got up and was promptly pushed aside by a couple of DYKWIA-style goons. My wife, a PM, who often travels by herself and gets upgraded quite a bit, reports the same treatment from time to time.

One would expect better from successful men, to show a little common courtesy toward women.

Fortunately, there is an abundance of courtesy on most flights that I am on. Not all, but most.
Just because they are sitting in F has little or no correlation to their being successful men (or women), and unfortunately common courtesy is in short supply these days in a lot of situations.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Just because they are sitting in F has little or no correlation to their being successful men (or women), and unfortunately common courtesy is in short supply these days in a lot of situations.
Slightly off topic, but somewhat related. When on 757 and the door is in between F and Coach, I'm always embarassed when I'm UG'd and they FA is holding the coach pax back so we can deplane. That's on case where it is being rude to the other pax, though the FA means well, I hate it.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
Slightly off topic, but somewhat related. When on 757 and the door is in between F and Coach, I'm always embarassed when I'm UG'd and they FA is holding the coach pax back so we can deplane. That's on case where it is being rude to the other pax, though the FA means well, I hate it.
Yeah, that's also one thing that I don't like either. I've seen the FAs stand in the aisle, with their arms spread out wide and their back to the passengers, so that all of F can deplane first.

I've also been sitting in the bulkhead row on the 757, and been told by the FA that I have to wait to F deplanes. Nope, the door is right there, and I'm heading out of it as soon as it opens.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by weero
Really? Is the definition that narrow?

I always found people who waste my time rude. Those being slow cashiers and staff who chat with customers while there's a line ... that matches my threshold for 'rude'.
The rudest are cashiers who, while ringing up your order, insist on talking to someone else in line. That really frosts my tushie.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am moving this over to TravelBuzz where it belongs.

RSSrsvp - moderator
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:12 pm

If I'm in the aisle ready to go, I will wait for passengers ahead of me to get going, even if that means waiting a second for them to pull their bags down. I've never seen it take particularly long, so the gap created is small. The gap usually disappears up front anyway, as people slow down a bit to make the turn up front and step onto the jet bridge.

If they are not prepared to get up and I can get past without bumping into them, I will. Some people want to take their time, which is fine with me. I doubt anyone has been bothered by my jumping past when they weren't even ready to step into the aisle.

In general, I've had very few problems with deplaning when the flight is on time. I rarely see people being especially slow or large gaps forming.

When flights are late, I see more issues. I will try to push past as well if I have a tight connection, but I will say so and try to politely ask people without connections to wait. Sometimes people are accommodating, sometimes not.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Then there are also the ignorant few who having aisle seat and get their overhead bag before seatbelt signs go AND then charge up the aisles 10 rows or so as soon as plane stops but before seatbelt buzzer/light goes off to say you can

This is really annoying as passengers like myself who take aisle seats wish to stand up, and put our jackets on, and can't because some ingnoramus passenger is now standing by my seat flexing there elbows and backside and are these types can be verbally abusive too as happened on a recent flight LHR-AMS , the culprit was an African Merican mid twenties USA accented female so no male stereotype here !

I got whacked in my kidneys as I was attempting to stand up into aisle from my seat with her elbows with quite some force and she physically pushed me back into the seat having knocked me off balance ... And I am not small As I weigh about 100kg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.