Search

Proper Etiquette to Leaving an Airplane for the Most Efficient Deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
The initial suggestion was ridiculous on its face. If someone needs to recalibrate their BS detector that badly, then there is no hope for them.

I thought I was dealing with a crowd that was better than that.
This is the DL forum. Many of the DL folks would seriously suggest or agree with what you suggested.

(No smiley.)
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I believe they should exit in the same order as they board: F and DM leave first, followed by PM, GM, SM, then the no status types.

Much better all around.
I agree, for amusement value alone. I want to watch the DM in 15A exit before the PM in 15B who exits before the GM in 15C.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by sethb
When the seat belt light goes off, some people get into the aisle. They must take their bags down. (If they put their bags someplace they can't reach them, they have to leave the aisle.)

When the door opens, everybody in the aisle just walks off the plane. Do not stop to let someone go in front of you.

Look at it from the viewpoint of the doorway: at any given time, either there is a person going through or a gap. When enough people have gone through, the plane is empty. The total time taken is the time for all the people plus all the gaps, therefore we want to minimize gaps.

Gaps are created when the person at the front of the line stops moving. Whether that's to take down the bags he put 15 rows ahead of him, or to let someone slowly climb into the aisle and then get down their bags, doesn't matter. Creating gaps slows the plane emptying.
This is fine if the flow is moving, but I do try to let those in my row have a chance at exiting without getting stuck. If they choose not to take advantage, I will leave them be. I do believe that a constant flow if possible.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by ThompsonBr
Fine as well, but what kills me is the guy/gal that blocks the aisle for the for the row of seats in front of him/her and then acts annoyed that they are not ready to deplane. He is part of the overall problem.
Yes!

For those who are tall and uncomfortable, just stretch your legs before the descent! If everyone except those needing to go upstream just sat in their seat until close to the time their row were deplaning, we could all get our bags and be ready (even me in the window) when our row was up.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:28 am

I believe they should exit in the same order as they board: F and DM leave first, followed by PM, GM, SM, then the no status types.

Much better all around.
Better for priority flyers but no one else. I would guess a flyer with priority would be near the front so your plan wouldn't be so bad, but what if they are in the back? Should the whole economy cabin wait for them to disembark?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
This is fine if the flow is moving, but I do try to let those in my row have a chance at exiting without getting stuck. If they choose not to take advantage, I will leave them be. I do believe that a constant flow if possible.
The whole point of it is to keep the flow moving.

Consider: everybody who is standing in the aisle when the door opens walks right off. As the end of that line passes a row, someone (or more) in that row stands up and gets ready to leave. When that first group is off the plane, the entire aisle is again full of people ready to leave, who all walk right off. Repeat as necessary. This gets everybody off the plane at walking speed with very few gaps, in about half the time it normally takes.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by ThompsonBr
Fine as well, but what kills me is the guy/gal that blocks the aisle for the for the row of seats in front of him/her and then acts annoyed that they are not ready to deplane. He is part of the overall problem.
Aisle lice.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
What makes me laugh is that anyone actually believes that any of this deplaning "stuff" is ever going to change. I've been at this pretty much weekly (8 times last week, 8 times this upcoming week, and 4-8 pretty much every week) since the end of 1995... it has always been the same and will never change... never. So if venting about it here makes you feel better, carry on!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NoleATL
Perhaps folks didn't catch the sarcasm because your sarcastic suggestion really isn't farfetched from what some DM's think should happen.
That's exactly it. Given that I've seen some pretty ridiculous suggestions that were dead serious from the people who've posted them. Without the emoji's it's often difficult to determine who is being sarcastic and who isn't around here. Based on later responses in the thread, it seems others agree with my sentiment too.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jul 25, 2015 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by sethb
The whole point of it is to keep the flow moving.

Consider: everybody who is standing in the aisle when the door opens walks right off. As the end of that line passes a row, someone (or more) in that row stands up and gets ready to leave. When that first group is off the plane, the entire aisle is again full of people ready to leave, who all walk right off. Repeat as necessary. This gets everybody off the plane at walking speed with very few gaps, in about half the time it normally takes.
Someone proposed this idea a while back. The huge issue here is that the people who sit in the window seats on rows 1-4could actually end up being the last to deplane.....
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

This discussion — which pertains to the proper etiquette of leaving an airplane in general and is not specific to Delta Air Lines — has been separated from its origin and now has its own discussion here in the TravelBuzz forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
My father advised me at an early age that there was no need to rush to wait, since most people will have to wait a while at baggage claim or to board their next flight. So I've always tended to just keep my seat until it is convenient to get up. If I'm in the rear, I may be among the last to exit the plane.

On one occasion my little family was just taking our time packing up diaper bags and such when a FA came back to inform me that the "bus" was waiting. I think it was at Dulles, and they used some people-mover contraption to cart everyone to the terminal. We were a bit embarrassed when we finally stepped on board while 100 or so people glared at us.

If I have a connection to make or only have hand luggage I might be more aggressive in my effort to deplane, but my primary rule is to just sit and wait.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:33 pm

My routine is to stand up at the ding and get my briefcase squared away (put my book, headphones, etc. back). Then I'll see if I can get anyone in the middle or window their bags to help out and generally try not to take up too much space in case anyone else wants to stand. If there's room, I'll pull my suitcase down but usually there isn't, so I'll wait until the line is moving and grab it when it's my time to go.

I don't feel the need to stand up because I think it's that important to shave seconds. I just like standing after sitting for the whole flight and I might as well be productive during that time by getting ready to go. I only feel the need to move quickly once the line ahead of me opens up, as I don't want to delay anyone behind me. If I'm tired or maybe had a few too many drinks, I'm happy to sit and wait.

This all assumes I don't have a tight connection. If I do then all bets are off. I'll get my bags and be ready to run as soon as there's an opening. It's nice when the FA asks people to remain seated if they don't have a tight connection, but that doesn't seem to happen each time that there's a delay.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
For me, sometimes I let the ones in the row in front of me get up and get their stuff, and sometimes if I feel I can shoot by them before they reach the aisle, then I'll shoot that gap. Perhaps I'm just too influenced by my formerly frequent contact with air traffic controllers at my old job where I got to learn from them how to safely shoot gaps on intersecting runways with planes. How else do you think they can launch 60-80 planes an hour and also land 60 as well?
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I sit back and laugh as I watch people fall all over themselves trying to get out of their seats and into the aisle, they stand there for ages waiting for the doors to open and then when they finally do, that's my cue to stand up and just walk into the aisle and grab my bag and off the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.