Proper Etiquette to Leaving an Airplane for the Most Efficient Deplaning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Etiquette to Leaving an Airplane for the Most Efficient Deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Someone proposed this idea a while back. The huge issue here is that the people who sit in the window seats on rows 1-4could actually end up being the last to deplane.....
Giving priority to F (and/or J) is fine, and doesn't slow everybody else enough to matter.

But if you'll note the actual protocol I proposed, they'd be the first to exit in the second group. (I didn't have the people at the back move up with the line.)
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by chris19992
I sit back and laugh as I watch people fall all over themselves trying to get out of their seats and into the aisle, they stand there for ages waiting for the doors to open and then when they finally do, that's my cue to stand up and just walk into the aisle and grab my bag and off the plane.
We're the ones who are tired of sitting. Nothing wrong with that. Most of us will wait our turn to get out.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by sethb
The whole point of it is to keep the flow moving.

Consider: everybody who is standing in the aisle when the door opens walks right off. As the end of that line passes a row, someone (or more) in that row stands up and gets ready to leave. When that first group is off the plane, the entire aisle is again full of people ready to leave, who all walk right off. Repeat as necessary. This gets everybody off the plane at walking speed with very few gaps, in about half the time it normally takes.
The thing is that you need time and room to take down your suitcase from the overhead bin. This activity more than anything else is why you’re waiting forever to get out of the plane. Subsequently you need the most people to take down their suitcase in parallel. Say one seat per odd numbered row in every aisle takes down his suitcase, then those people deplane, followed by the even numbered rows. Then a round of the next seat etc etc. The people will follow if the airline’s deplane policy makes sense to them.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The etiquette for deplaning in the most efficient and respectful manner can be boiled down to a few simple points:
  1. Gather your belongings ahead of time so you're ready to move when given the opportunity.
  2. Take your bags down without blocking traffic in the aisle. Do it either while standing at the aisle seat, or from the aisle if the aisle isn't moving.
  3. Don't stop in the aisle to wait for people who aren't ready. That creates more delays. But...
  4. Don't push or cut off people who are trying to move. That's hostile and doesn't help empty the aircraft any faster.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
With this many interpretations of what proper etiquette even is, you'll never get a concensus. And without true concensus deboarding will just continue to be what it is: get out while you can. And if you're in the back rows of the plane, that likely means you're waiting for quite a bit. Live with that, because it's not going to change.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
Has anyone had people push past them while they are already standing in the aisle? I have had this happen 2 times...I wasn't taking a long time to get my bag from the bin, just the normal time to stand up, and pull it out and go. And when I say push past them I mean you are taking up most of the aisle and the person really has to move by you, not that I'm standing in the aisle and there is room to pass.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by aaflyer1
Has anyone had people push past them while they are already standing in the aisle? I have had this happen 2 times...I wasn't taking a long time to get my bag from the bin, just the normal time to stand up, and pull it out and go. And when I say push past them I mean you are taking up most of the aisle and the person really has to move by you, not that I'm standing in the aisle and there is room to pass.
Why are you blocking the aisle when there are dozens of people already in it waiting to get off the plane?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are you blocking the aisle when there are dozens of people already in it waiting to get off the plane?
We get it, you're in a huge hurry. Just expect an ugly glare from me if you try to crowd past me when I'm retrieving my bag from the overhead.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
We get it, you're in a huge hurry. Just expect an ugly glare from me if you try to crowd past me when I'm retrieving my bag from the overhead.
Because, after all, your time is much more important than the time of the 40 people standing in the aisle.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because, after all, your time is much more important than the time of the 40 people standing in the aisle.
Yeah, just like it's more important than that of the people standing in line behind me at the supermarket, or the people behind me in line at the McDonalds drive-through.

Yeesh.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Yeah, just like it's more important than that of the people standing in line behind me at the supermarket, or the people behind me in line at the McDonalds drive-through.

Yeesh.
At the supermarket, the cashier is working 100% of the time, so none is being wasted. Only the order is in question, and it's first-come first-served.

Leaving an airplane, the limit is walking through the doorway. When you block the aisle, you cause there to be nobody walking through the doorway for a while. That's a waste of time.

The equivalent at the supermarket is waiting for the cashier to finish ringing you up, and then realizing you might have to actually pay so you slowly start searching for your checkbook. Do you do that, too?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
I didn't mean to say I was blocking the aisle, let me put it this way, I was getting my bag from the OB and someone tried to squeeze past me instead of waiting the less then 2 seconds for me to get my bag. If there was room sure I wouldn't care, but if you have to touch me? Absurd.

The other thing I find is people won't yield if you are ready to go....so if someone is coming from an aisle further back and I've got my bag and am ready to go, they'll try to go ahead of me, when it is obvious I am ready to leave....Should be the aisles furthest forward move first.

Last edited by aaflyer1; Aug 15, 2015 at 4:59 am
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:00 am

What happened to simple courtesy? Planes should empty from front to back unless someone has a tight connection. Even then, there is no need for rudeness. A simple excuse me and thank you is enough.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I don't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist about this poster. Getting one's bag down from the overhead rack is part of the normal deplaning process, especially if one was in a window seat and had no opportunity to do that until the exit of the aisle and center passengers let him/her into the aisle. As long as the passenger isn't taking an inordinate amount of time to get it down and start moving, that by itself does not justify pushing past.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't mean to say I was blocking the aisle, let me put it this way, I was getting my bag from the OB and someone tried to squeeze past me
How was that not blocking the aisle? Because they were able to squeeze past you?

instead of waiting the less then 2 seconds for me to get my bag. If there was room sure I wouldn't care, but if you have to touch me? Absurd.
Am I the only person in the world who can get a bag down while standing in front of an aisle seat so the I don't block the aisle, and people can walk down the aisle while I'm getting my bag?

The other thing I find is people won't yield if you are ready to go....so if someone is coming from an aisle further back and I've got my bag and am ready to go, they'll try to go ahead of me, when it is obvious I am ready to leave....Should be the aisles furthest forward move first.
If you've got your bag and are ready to go, then why aren't you moving?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.