Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What will happen if one goes on month-long vacation & never watches/reads the news?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will happen if one goes on month-long vacation & never watches/reads the news?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
I never seek out "the news" and somehow I still hear/see/read things through the normal course of the day. It only anecdotal, but I feel as though I'm much happier in general than people who religiously follow the news. Ignorance is bliss, I guess! So my answer to what will happen: your happiness will improve!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
It's wonderful...everything really does go on without me ...It is soooo relaxing to ignore it for a while.
+1
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
What will happen if one goes on month-long vacation & never watches/reads the news?(newspaper, TV, internet, word-of-mouth, or whatever?)
You will lose weight, your blood pressure will go back to normal, your outlook on life will be bright, you will be rested, cheerful, and fun. You will have more energy, a fine complexion, a wonderful set of memories, you will be smarter, sharper, and attractive to everyone.

The trick will be to avoid all news once you return.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pogopossum
You will lose weight, your blood pressure will go back to normal, your outlook on life will be bright, you will be rested, cheerful, and fun. You will have more energy, a fine complexion, a wonderful set of memories, you will be smarter, sharper, and attractive to everyone.

The trick will be to avoid all news once you return.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
I feel wonderful already after your reply!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Most news is 90% theatre 10% news.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I assume people who travel for weeks or months rarely check the news, or is that just me?
Why? Other than a week on the Galapagos islands, I've had internet access and check in on world goings-on for quite some time. Before that, there were newspapers.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

When you return you will join those legion of folks who are News Illiterate. Can you imagine being so out of touch that you did not know of the moon landing, or 9/11? As long as you have internet access or even that daily condensed NYT 2 page news update, you will be informed on what is going on in the world.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by artemis
What happens? Nothing - except that you come to realize just how unimportant closely following the news is.
This is true...I used to be better at it when my trips were longer and to places like SE Asia. I go back far enough (though barely) to pre-Internet, pre-cable-TV days when newspapers with the AP wire were among your best hopes for getting info from outside that country.

Tim Ferriss recommends going on a "information diet" in his Four Hour Work-week book, pointing out that most news is negative and not actionable in any way. A car chase caught on camera from a helicopter in L.A> may be dramatic info-tainment, but it won't affect your life.

Am also a believer in "unplugging" as much as possible, i.e. none of this always-being-available bit.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'd feel fine. The news is depressing enough.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: LH HON
Europe would still be battling over Greece.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckx2
Europe would still be battling over Greece.
Funny you should mention Greece, because that's precisely where I'm travelling to .
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by mikeef
You'll be happy.
I think it's worth trying. I'm way too plugged in normally.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Which ever political party you despise will end up in power
That'll happen anyway, since I despise all (major) political parties
(the only ones with a chance of winning).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Not having TV at home and not having any newspaper subscription counts? If so, I've being living such life last 15 years.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:31 am

What will happen if one goes on month-long vacation & never watches/reads the news?(newspaper, TV, internet, word-of-mouth, or whatever?)
Well, the news will be the same as it would have been otherwise, but you won't know about it.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
You'll feel much happier and relaxed. I don't closely follow the news that much even at home. You will realize some things like:

- The really historic events you would hear about whether you want to or not, through word of mouth - which is still a thing even in the digital age.
- Most of what is passed off as "news" is gossip or distraction theater of some sort.
- The rest is almost always something you can do nothing about other than fuss and worry over.
- Even the "important" things are only important in our narrowly focused minds at the moment and not in the grand scheme of history in this world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.