Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Car seat but no baby - what should we do?

Car seat but no baby - what should we do?

Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Okay, I'm back with just a few more questions. We have packed almost all of the baby stuff into the original car seat box and taped it up. Will the airport bag it up into a plastic bag or do we need to bring it already in the plastic?

And secondly, the only item that could not fit into the box was one of the car seat bases. It is too big to pack into carry-on luggage and we don't have a need for a large suitcase - we just want to do carry-on for our belongings. Could we just just carry the car seat base loose in our hands onto the plane? We can put the base under the seat in front of us, so it can be secured safely. I've seen countless people bring shopping bags full of crap onto planes, so I'm hoping this won't be an issue. Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Sure, carry-on the car seat base. I've done that many times.

Just confirm that the total HxWxL of the box meets the airline's dimension requirements for your free checked bag. I know one of our carseat/base contraptions came in a huge box that might have been considered oversize by airlines.

We have one or two family members who occasionally assume we can take things for them on flights. They think we're EXP or 1K or whatever and can check a virtually unlimited amount of stuff. Star Gold and AA Gold don't go nearly as far as they used to...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks pinniped! Just to confirm that I'm correct - according to the United website, my bag allowance measurement is 62". My box is 15"x18"x28" = 61", which means it should be accepted, yes? It's soooooooo close to the limit that I'm just wanting to check before arriving and getting hit with an oversize bag fee. Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Don't worry too much about it. Travelling with car seat boxes is not exotic! You'll be fine with walking on with the base as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.