Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The most ridiculous reason why your luggage did not arrive with you...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

From here

My niece, her partner and his 8-year-old child finally landed about an hour ago (very hot and tired after numerous delays) to discover they had no luggage. AirAsia only told them when they were waiting at the carousel in Denpasar that apparently 'the plane was overweight so they needed to remove some baggage'.
OK, granted, this is quite an unusual situation now at DPS, but removing pax's lugguage from non-stop flight without these pax know about it - this is something I have not seen yet.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Maybe better to remove luggage than to remove passengers.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Maybe better to remove luggage than to remove passengers.
Maybe better than that to ask for volunteers for compensation, then remove those passengers and their luggage. Instead of twenty passengers or thirty sets of luggage, IDB fifteen matched sets of both.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it snowed!!! we arrived LHR couple days before year end. london had snow. maybe 2". heathrow did not have equipment to off load luggage(from a 747). in addition to our luggage, were the instruments for an 80 piece marching band. the luggage was delivered 3 or 4 days later.(got no comp).
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
Maybe better than that to ask for volunteers for compensation, then remove those passengers and their luggage. Instead of twenty passengers or thirty sets of luggage, IDB fifteen matched sets of both.
Which would make the plane way late while they fished the baggage out of the hold.

I would think a better solution would be mandated compensation if your bags weren't on the carousel, rather like we have mandated IDB compensation now.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
A sudden baggage handlers strike! I arrived in Israel a few years ago and the captain came on the PA system and said he had good news and bads news. Good news was were were in Tel Aviv and our bags were all there, right under our feet in the hold, the bad news was the plane would be departing in 2 hours with our baggage still in the hold as there were no baggage handlers due to a lightening strike. I jokingly said that a few passengers, me included, could help unload the bags but no bueno.

The bags went to Larnaca in Cyprus, then to the UK and then back to Tel Aviv. I picked up my bag from the carousel 7 days later as I was leaving. That was a fun week (Not!)....

Last edited by timfountain; Jul 12, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Which would make the plane way late while they fished the baggage out of the hold...
No, it wouldn't, or at least not nearly as late as you might think. They do it now on any flight with positive baggage matching when a passenger doesn't show. They know how to do it quickly - not in an instant, but way faster than you might expect by looking at the problem from the outside. Plus, they would know about this situation and whose bags should be offloaded well before the doors are scheduled to close, which gives them time to go through the process. The impact on arrival time would be negligible.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:52 pm

Angry Island Air offloaded my underwater photo gear

I went to Little Cayman for a week of underwater photography. Stranded on Grand Cayman because Island Air's puddle jumper had a red light, thus couldn't land at Little Cayman. Missed a day of Diving.

Next day, new plane, but as we waited for takeoff I saw then offload the bag with all my photo gear. "Plane's too heavy."

I .....ed up a storm, but didn't impress Island Air. A white knight in the form of one of the resort owners persuaded Island air to return my gear and offload his. Slobberingly grateful, I vowed my next trip would be to his resort.

Oh, and Island Air lost my luggage on the return trip.

I never made good on my vow. Distaste of putting my fortunes in the hands of Island Air has deterred me from ever returning to the Caymans.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by invisible
OK, granted, this is quite an unusual situation now at DPS, but removing pax's lugguage from non-stop flight without these pax know about it - this is something I have not seen yet.
Happens relatively often. Usually on smaller planes, but occasionally on larger ones, too. Flights get weight-restricted due to weather, aircraft performance limits or other factors. And when that happens the carriers can either offload passengers, bags or both. Generally they go for bags first.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My favorite. Ever.

The old Midway Airlines. MDW-MSY. Perfectly normal day, arrived at MDW in plenty of time. No weather, flight on time.

Arrived at MSY but our bags didn't.

After much clicking and a call to ORD the agent said "they aren't here because we didn't put them on the plane."

Runner up. UA ORD-LHR. At ORD the agent checked our bags onto the right flight but used the wrong passenger. He then didn't show for the flight and they pulled the bags. Name was off by one letter.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
Originally Posted by invisible
From here

Uhhh, that's pretty common operationally on many aircraft types near their range limit, especially if diversion weather is longer than usual (something that can change at the last minute.) Unfortunate, but not unusual at all.

Doesn't really serve much purpose to tell you before departure, since you can't do anything but stew in anger on the plane the entire flight, or you and a bunch of fellow passenger raising a DYKWIA fusstival on board, delaying the flight.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Because the Beijing Symphony Orchestra was shipping 4,000 pounds of sheet music to San Francisco and they could not take all the passengers' bags.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold

I was on a small Cessna commercially operated flight to a remote airport for a golf trip. When we got off, all the baggage for the 8-9 passengers came off except for my bag (luckily my clubs were there.) I asked the airport staff to check the plane before it departed back to the major airport we departed from to make sure my bag was not left on it. They didn't.
Couple hours later I got a phone call from the major airport and my bag had flown back.
They had just not unloaded it. It took about 24 hours to get it, but all worked out.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Because the Beijing Symphony Orchestra was shipping 4,000 pounds of sheet music to San Francisco and they could not take all the passengers' bags.
A Chinese carrier?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by timfountain
A sudden baggage handlers strike! I arrived in Israel a few years ago and the captain came on the PA system as said he had good news and bads news. Good news was were were in Tel Aviv and our bags were all there, right under our feet in the hold, the bad news was the plane would be departing in 2 hours with our baggage still in the hold as there were no baggage handlers due to a lightening strike. I jokingly said that a few passengers, me included, could help unload the bags but no bueno.

The bags went to Larnaca in Cyprus, then to the UK and then back to Tel Aviv. I picked up my bag from the carousel 7 days later as I was leaving. That was a fun week (Not!)....
I have heard that cabin crew including pilots pitched in to unload at Southwest !

Efficiecy and CUSTOMER first attitude. just imagine how much it cost the airline to take a 747 of luggage to fly all over. Think of the cost in goodwill.

BTW What happened to the pax luggage on that outbound ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.