Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Emergency onboard at the gate protocol

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by trooper4574
In a medical emergency onboard, I would rather trust a seasoned paramedic then a physician. Unless the doc happens to work in a ER.
ER doc is a good option. I would also argue a critical care doctor or an anesthesiologist are also good options too..

FDW
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Originally Posted by emma dog
I believe standard of care is that you can transfer care of a patient to a qualified individual. For example, if someone suffered cardiac arrest and you defibrillated them via AICD in the airport, you don't have an obligation to transport them to a hospital with the paramedics. I believe you do have an obligation to ensure you transfer care to a qualified individual with complete report. I've assisted in at least a dozen out of hospital emergencies and this is what I've always done.

I graduated medical school in 1998, so I'm neither old nor young.
Oh I will readily say that I'm up there in years, but I've earned every age line! I have not been in what one might term active practice for over fifteen years, having been in the pharmaceutical industry in clinical research. I still do practice through medical mission and of course through MOC, but the standard probably changed and I missed it. Dealing with FDA and the pharma bureaucracy has taken its toll on the currency of my practice!

Thanks for making that clear. I didn't know what the current standard was.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Just a thought for you docs, nurses and other health care types: If you fly a lot, for whatever reason, take some Flight Physiology CME/CEU sessions.

I'm a RN, boarded as a CFRN and am amazed everyday by the amount of cool stuff there is to learn about Flight Phys that isn't taught in A&P.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
At MEX? Sounds spectacularly fast to me.
Typically after the use of a POB ( portable oxygen bottle ) it must be replaced by maintenance before departure. This would easily take an hour with the time to get it to the aircraft and get the paperwork signed off.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I am a physician and have had to assist in several inflight emergencies. I don't think the time elapsed in this situation sounds unusual at all. They probably called for the paramedics at the same time that they paged for a doctor on board. Obviously the paramedics aren't just standing at the gate, so it is going to take a while for them to arrive. Sort of like when a lady at my church had a stroke during services. They called the ambulance at exactly the same time that I was summoned to assist. It took several minutes for the ambulance to arrive.

The medical kits I have had to use on board planes are highly varible. Best on was on an AA trans-Atlantic flight. It had everything including drugs to run a cold blue, an AED, a delivery kit. Worst was on Fiji Airways. A paltry supply of drugs and a stethoscope with no bell. I had to palpate blood pressure. Most helpful FA's in a medical emergency would be a tie between AA and Qatar Airways. I think one of the Qatar Airways FA's I dealt with was a trained nurse.

The other issue as someone pointed out is that the person who was having the emergency could well have not wanted to be removed from the flight, so they were having to argue with that person. Then their luggage has to be found and off loaded. I have seen this situation once, and it did take at least an hour to take off afterward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.