Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you accept a full refund in exchange for taking down a TripAdvisor review?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you accept a full refund in exchange for taking down a TripAdvisor review?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
Unless, of course, you're being paid to not tell the truth about your experience.
Doesn't that make me the ultimate 'TRAVEL HACKER?!' Traveling for free, as much as I can, without getting caught.

FTU contacted me and wants me to keynote their event with my ULTIMATE FREE STAY TRAVEL HACK (available to FTU Advanced customers only).

Rolling Stone magazine wants to hang with me on Lake Como for free, hobnobbing with GCloon and Amal, using this one simple trick.

Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
on Lake Como
Did I guess the property correctly? Or have there been more reviews since 2013?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
Did I guess the property correctly? Or have there been more reviews since 2013?
There is at least one review from 2014. As a VRBO-type multi-unit property it may have multiple TA listings for the various units...
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If it was a chain hotel with thousands of reviews, maybe.

You have a dark view of humanity.
It's a realistic view of humanity. Stories of people going to establishments asking for special perks "or else they will post a bad review" have been making the rounds for years now.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many guests receive service recovery including 100% refund (and more) after raising issues experienced with appropriate people.

total number of guest stay/dine/etc is nearly infinitely higher than number of reviews.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If it was a chain hotel with thousands of reviews, maybe.

You have a dark view of humanity.
Realistic view
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
It's a realistic view of humanity. Stories of people going to establishments asking for special perks "or else they will post a bad review" have been making the rounds for years now.
That's completely different from this thread; and if we allow the 1% jerks to color and drive all our decisions, the hospitality business will fail utterly.

I've never ascribed to the "if we let one do it, they'll all demand it" meme.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it would be a great thing, that everyone would benefit from, if service standards improved, from both guest side and supplier side. service recovery is part of that.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
We're talking 1300 euros. Would you take the 'bribe?'
I am a travel whore so I think I would have done.

BUT - BUT BUT

Originally Posted by KRSW
I would modify the review, maybe revise the star rating, but wouldn't be willing to remove it entirely. I'd probably quickly mention what went wrong but then spend a greater portion of the review praising the owner's actions for going out of his way to make things right. Attitude matters a lot in this business. Sometimes staff are caught in the middle between an owner who doesn't want to spend a dime and guests who paid good money and are expecting the hotel to look like the brochure. I'll make sure to emphasize which/where staff truly did what they could vs. slumlord owner.

I have a saying: It's always good to get things right the first time, but the true test of a company is how they handle the situation when things go wrong.
Originally Posted by obscure2k
My favorite response. @:-)
AGREED - having now read the entire thread.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:20 pm

Yes. Tripadvisor is a joke anyway, most people on there expect complete perfection and feel a Super 8 should be comparable to a Four Seasons and so they most reviews are not subjective in anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by industry_killer
Yes. Tripadvisor is a joke anyway, most people on there expect complete perfection and feel a Super 8 should be comparable to a Four Seasons and so they most reviews are not subjective in anyway.
I would say they're VERY subjective. Just not very objective.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm a big Yelper. In 2010 I received a yelp message from the owner of a roofing company we had used about three years earlier. We had a terrible experience with them and I described it in my review. He wanted me to change it. This was the second time he asked. Jokingly I suggested he refund some of the money we paid. I don't remember what amount I said but it was at least $1000. He agreed, but I was so angry by what had happened during the job, that I declined.

On a much smaller scale, when I have posted negative reviews of restaurants, a select few owners/managers have contacted me to offer something such as a free meal etc. In those cases I have amended my review and raised the "stars". I have done this both when I accepted the offer or declined it (for example if I really did not like the food and they offered a free meal).

All that said, in this particular case, I would have accepted the refund. I may have just deleted the review because writing openly that I got a refund might encourage others to write bad reviews.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:42 pm

Yes, I would remove it because they tried to resolve the situation. An alternative is to say in general terms that there was a problem that was resolved. If you are vindictive, then don't, but realize that you are nasty.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I have been in CUSTOMER facing work all my life.

I complain loudly and go out of my way to acknowledge great service.

In this case , owners appear to be sincere, have shown readiness to refund ALL in exchange of a three star review takedown.

If you think about it, when one complains what keeps them coming back is the speed and action taken by the business.

Take the offer, explain to readers that you are very satisfied the action taken by the owners .
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:28 pm

I rarely post negative review without first having notified the owner or manager on duty of my experience. I think it's only fair to give them a chance to rectify, or at least know about what might be an easily rectifiable issue. I've often been asked to return as a guest of management to "give them another chance." Everything ends quite favorably for all parties.
However, last Thanksgiving we booked dinner at a country inn renowned in the area for top notch service and their gourmet chef. We were very disappointed with the entire experience: lackluster presentation, bland food, etc. All for a premium holiday price.

Upon arriving back home I immediately wrote a negative review on the inn's Facebook page. I received a call from the owner that night. She was in tears. She explained that this was the first holiday she has been away from the inn in many years and apologized profusely for our bad experience. She asked us to return as her guest for another dinner, or in lieu of that, offered a refund of the meal. Since the inn is a good distance from our home and we don't often have the opportunity to get that way, we accepted the refund.
She did not ask but I then told her that I would take down the review and apologized to her for not having talked to her before I posted it.

It was a win/win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.