The obsession with alcohol - Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The obsession with alcohol - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ou81two
...and the number of times people ACTUALLY get hurt by passengers like this?
...the percentage of flights impacted is?

If you don't like airlines that serve alcohol, don't fly on airlines that serve alcohol. Pretty simple. You could also move to several fundamentalist muslim countries where alcohol is banned.
I know I've got a bad memory but I don't remember talking about airlines serving alcohol in this thread.

This thread is about drunken, disruptive passengers who board an aircraft and cause stress and fear to their fellow passengers and the cabin crew through their disruptive behaviour.

One airline (as stated in the article I posted a link to) has decided to ban such passengers for life. Others airlines could follow. This is something I happen to agree with.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I have yet to see the famous drunk pax scenario yet (especially the awful ones brought up in "screaming kid" threads)

At one point, I chalked it up to flying full service carriers on city pairs that were mostly business and/or higher end tourism. At this point, I think it's a moral panic without substance.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Never heard about violent drunks? I've seen enough personally, fortunately quite a while ago.

I still don't get the logic allowing people to consume one drug with high potential of abuse and addiction which makes number of people violent and ban another one which actually slows them down...
No one has ever claimed it was a decision grounded in logic
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Emirates SkyAwards Silver
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I have yet to see the famous drunk pax scenario yet (especially the awful ones brought up in "screaming kid" threads)

At one point, I chalked it up to flying full service carriers on city pairs that were mostly business and/or higher end tourism. At this point, I think it's a moral panic without substance.
Agree 100%.

In defence of MAN i fly out there almost weekly and have never encountered disruptive drunks.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Never heard about violent drunks? I've seen enough personally, fortunately quite a while ago.

I still don't get the logic allowing people to consume one drug with high potential of abuse and addiction which makes number of people violent and ban another one which actually slows them down...
I'm all for legalising weed too.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
I think there is problem - route and airline specific - Yes

I had the experience of flying LON LAS on VS along with a fifty strong stag group. Virgin unfortunately didn't have the wit to seat them together in one section so the whole of economy endured their shouting down the plane at each other, vile language, and drunken staggering (pulling on the seat backs as they went). It was the longest ten hour flight ever and despite hundred of thousands on BIS miles under my belt (or should that be butt?) it's the only flight I've ever felt unsafe on as the cabin crew had zero authority if anything had escalated. Had Virgin seated them in one section the odds are the disruption to other passengers would have been minimal.

I place the blame firmly on the airline however -as these far from teenage men were clearly tanked up prior to boarding and were still served throughout the first few hours of the flight.

Refusing boarding to anyone under the influence and stopping service if a passenger appears to have had too much is apparently a concept that VS/Ryanair notably don't have a grasp of.

I do think it's far more of a problem with British carriers than US carriers (and one reason why I choose US carriers over UK ones when flying to Vegas specifically)

If a bar gets uncomfortable due to the behaviour of drunks - you can head out the door- not an option at thirty five thousand feet though !

Does it happen on all UK vacation destination flights- no of course not - but I can choose to avoid Virgin and BA specifically on those kind of routes and dramatically reduce the possibility of having to contend with an unpleasant flight. An economy seat varies little between carriers -and Ilike most frequent travellers don't rely on IFE or expect much from inflight catering -but a reasonably peaceful flight is a basic expectation.

If all drunks fell asleep as soon as they reached a certain point of inebriation -it wouldn't be a problem - but not everyone is that kind of a drunk unfortunately.

A couple of well publicized bannings and the problem would mostly disappear -Virgin choose not to do this - so I choose not to fly with them. I have friends who choose not to fly Virgin because they find Virgin's shutting off all drinks service 4 hours out of London (in economy) irritating ...as I do too. I don't want a drink at 10 am shortly after take off - but a few hours in (and it's after lunch not breakfast ) then a little libation is very nice - but by then Virgin have claimed to "run out" in Y - to justify cutting off the drunks so the grown ups get cut off too.

Last edited by duchy; Jun 27, 2015 at 6:31 am
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm all for legalising weed too.
If Dancing Deer gets in the brownies business, I'll be switching to SkyTeam tomorrow
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Thank you. You saved me the hassle of having to spell it out.

I'm amazed that just because people haven't experienced an abusive drunken passenger on one of their flights, they consider the problem of people boarding flights in a drunken state as a non-issue.

I would imagine it's a really big deal for crew to call the police to meet the aircraft upon landing.

I would be very surprised if a cabin crew member would get the police called simply because they didn't like a passenger!

Don't they have to seek advice and an opinion from the cockpit and the captain makes the decision?
In answer to the fisrt point, its because 99% of people on this forun dont think its a problem, they can only make this assumption based on personal experience.

Inn answer to 2, the CSD can certainly decide this for theselves, not a big deal.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Why ban? If we make 250ml Bud Light for $15 and 183ml of Charles Shaw for $20 - there won't be many takers, plus it will be source of revenue.

Regarding drunks - Russian based airlines have list >2000 people over last 5 years who become disruptive during the flight.

Wanna see drunks (bunch of them) during flight - go on one of those charter/seasonal flights going from Russia to Egypt or Thailand. You'll get full house.
I flew UTA and KLM between Europe and Africa where the entire business class were oil fields workers. To Africa was not a problem. Going home 2/3 were drunk before the flight started and drank non-stop until they passed out.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Going home 2/3 were drunk before the flight started and drank non-stop until they passed out.
You guys are in quite stress-generating business, no doubt.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
You guys are in quite stress-generating business, no doubt.
It was more like a bunch of 40 somethings trying to relive their teenaged years.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
It was more like a bunch of 40 somethings trying to relive their teenaged years.
..and they found that it does not work...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I..2/3 were drunk before the flight started and drank non-stop until they passed out.
Which then auto-solved the issue QED.

The opposite is much more often the persistent problem: the parents who refuse to mix spirits and/or tranquilizers into the babyfood so that the Little One can rest in thin air. ...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Amelorn

+100. Like we need more of that!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Out of the many thousands or tens of thousands of people flying daily, very few cause any trouble. This is a non-issue
Try MILLIONS:

On average, every day more than 8 million people fly. In 2013 total passenger numbers were 3.1 billion—surpassing the 3 billion mark for the first time ever. That number is expected to grow to 3.3 billion in 2014 (equivalent to 44% of the world's population).
http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-12-30-01.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.