Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Outside food in hotel club/executive lounges

Old Jun 22, 15, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE

I know airline lounges prohibit this but I could not find any information on hotel lounges. I ask primarily with respect to decorum/etiquette, as formal policies vary -- is it acceptable to bring your own food?
Old Jun 22, 15, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Eating food in the lobby is very different from eating outside food in the hotel's executive/concierge/club lounge. In some hotel chains (Residence Iinn or aloft, for example), it seems to be accepted if the outside food isn't competing with the hotel's own sales and if people are over 21 for alcohol. More upscale hotels will forbid this, especially if it's a lobby bar of if the hotel has a restaurant which is open.

In a club lounge (or whatever it's called), often it's permitted to order room service and staff might help with this. Otherwise, I can't imagine why someone would even try this: smelly/messy food, expecting to use hotel dishes and utensils to consume food for which some other business makes a profit, "taking over" the lounge and inconveniencing other guests, leaving trash behind to look horrible and expecting staff to clean up, etc. A Westin lounge staff member told me recently about people doing a birthday party for their toddler (and many relatives, some of which weren't hotel guests) in the lounge, with outside cake, etc.

Increasingly I see hotels putting up signs saying that outside F&B can only be consumed in one's own room. This shouldn't be necessary: IMO it's common sense.
Old Jun 22, 15, 11:11 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
I've never seen any signs prohibiting it in hotel lounges. But are you asking if it's permissible or if we think it's socially acceptable to do so?

I imagine it doesn't come up often in hotels. Where are you going to get the food, other than from somewhere else in the same hotel?
Old Jun 22, 15, 11:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY View Post
I've never seen any signs prohibiting it in hotel lounges. But are you asking if it's permissible or if we think it's socially acceptable to do so?

I imagine it doesn't come up often in hotels. Where are you going to get the food, other than from somewhere else in the same hotel?
The Westin I mentioned above put up signs the next day. Good work on their part.

My answer is it's generally not permissible--even if there isn't an explicit sign--and it's not socially acceptable. It's downright tacky and rude to others.

Food is either carried in from outside vendors or people order food like pizza to be delivered to the hotel. IMO no hotel should permit delivery of pizza, etc. to occur on their property (which is private), although they obviously can't and shouldn't permit someone from bringing outside food and drinks to the guest's own room and consuming it behind a closed door.
Old Jun 22, 15, 11:44 am

I haven't seen a formal policy about it though I haven't seen people doing it either. I mostly stay at Hilton's. I doubt anyone would really care as long as you weren't bringing lutafisk or something really smelly. Call the hotel, ask to be transferred to the lounge and see what they say.
Old Jun 22, 15, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

I'm not sure if OP is asking because he wants to bring in food and is seeking a means to do so.

The lounge question seems to have been answered. If you are looking for a way to bring in food I would ask about using a conference room. hotels often have one (or several) multipurpose rooms that can be set up for birthday parties and club dinners etc. and often the hotel will allow outside food. Some may charge a fee while others will not. That would be simpler than trying to use a lounge.
Old Jun 22, 15, 12:15 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Why do you say this?

I have occasion to be at a property... and did not have transportation. Having the option to have food delivered was important to me.

What difference is it if I bring it personally or a restaurant delivers it to me?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Food is either carried in from outside vendors or people order food like pizza to be delivered to the hotel. IMO no hotel should permit delivery of pizza, etc. to occur on their property (which is private), although they obviously can't and shouldn't permit someone from bringing outside food and drinks to the guest's own room and consuming it behind a closed door.
Old Jun 22, 15, 12:20 pm

I will write from the assumption that you intended to say "prevent" rather than "permit" in the second part where a guest is bringing outside food to their room.

When I am on the road, the hotel is my home away from home. In previous jobs, I was often in the same hotel for two, or more, weeks at a time. Eating in the hotel restaurant is expensive and soon becomes boring. This is exacerbated when chain hotels have pretty much the same menu across the all of the properties.

While I would certainly not entertain that the hotel should insert themselves into the transaction neither am I ok with the concept that I would have to go outside to the parking lot, or to the sidewalk as the closest not private location, to exchange money for pizza. Unless there is a general security restriction on the floors, I expect that the delivery person can come to my door. Baring that, I will come to the lobby.

A fair number of budget chains have pizza delivery ads on their keys or flyers in their rooms. I recognize that this is not necessarily relevant since the generally have no lounge and no attached restaurant.
Old Jun 22, 15, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by sjclynn View Post
I will write from the assumption that you intended to say "prevent" rather than "permit" in the second part where a guest is bringing outside food to their room.
I'm glad someone else caught this.
Old Jun 22, 15, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE
I'm asking about ordering Olive Garden to go and eating it in the club lounge, which has dining tables, instead of in my room, which does not. I am not hosting any guests or parties.
Old Jun 22, 15, 1:07 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
You're not going to find a consensus here anyway. If the lounge allows it, I'll leave the etiquette of it up to you.

I solve the issue by eating in my room.
Old Jun 22, 15, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD
IMO no hotel should permit delivery of pizza, etc. to occur on their property (which is private), although they obviously can't and shouldn't permit someone from bringing outside food and drinks to the guest's own room and consuming it behind a closed door.
Um, what? Did you mean "permit," or "prevent?"
Old Jun 22, 15, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
At the kinds of hotels found near an Olive Garden - thinking bland, midrange suburban Marriotts and Sheratons here - it's highly unlikely that the one lone bored lounge attendant or two other guests in the lounge are going to say anything to you.

Me personally? I still wouldn't do it. But if the question is whether anyone will *stop* you from doing it, I'd guess no.

Why don't you try it and report back?
Old Jun 22, 15, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I know airline lounges prohibit this but I could not find any information on hotel lounges. I ask primarily with respect to decorum/etiquette, as formal policies vary -- is it acceptable to bring your own food?
I always bring Chinese food into the club lounge
Old Jun 22, 15, 8:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I wouldn't do it, to me it's kind of tacky.

Bring food in to eat in the privacy of your own room is fine.

Bringing it in to a club or lounge, then all the aroma/smell of the food is forced on anyone else in the area.

Search this Thread