Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cure Me: You couldn't sleep on long flights, then you found the cure...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cure Me: You couldn't sleep on long flights, then you found the cure...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by MtlTourist
ZzzQuil. http://www.zzzquil.com/
I take 2 caplets before a cross-country flight from EWR to LAX or EWR to SEA. Caplets last 4-6 hours for me. Non habit forming and it works.

I tried other OTC meds without success until ZzzQuil.
I hadn't heard of that but I'm going to look out for it.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, just another traveller.

Another OTC option is hyoscine, an anti-motion-sickness tablet sold under the brand name Kwells (possibly others). A listed side-effect is sleepiness, but mainly (as I understand it) it helps your brain "tune out" the noise, the lights, the motion (which is how it prevents motion sickness) so you can relax, rather than just knocking you out cold.

As with the other options above, I'd suggest trying it at home first.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Emirates SkyAwards Silver
In the UK we have OTC tablets called Nytol.

These have been a saving grace for me, both on flights and beating jet-lag on arrival.

When working in the states, regardless of how tired i was, id ping wide awake at like 3-4am. One Nytol, an hour before bed and problem solved.

I hope you find something that works for you, it can be a horrible feeling.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I use Benadryl and an Advil and an alleve. Doesn't always work. I fly business when I have long overnights. Last night I was on a flight that left at 11:30 pm, arrived at5:00 am in "economy comfort". Awful, awful. Didn't take Benadryl because was a short flight. Got to hotel, ate breakfast and slept for four hours.

If nothing works, just tell your family you need a long nap
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:32 am
Suspended

A couple of Grand Marnier and I'm snoozing nicely!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've tried a sleeping pill, but it didn't really kick in until near landing time and then I was a zombie for about 36 hours. I now use the herbal version of Nytol or Sominex both of which seem to allow for a light in and out sort of sleep - better than nothing.

However, my best tactic is to choose my trips according to the likelihood of upgrades on the overnight portions (5 out of 5 when booked in economy so far this year). If there's no likelihood of an upgrade I'll book two day flights and spend the night imbetween - wasteful, yes, but vital for me.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: LH HON
More Champagne!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Zopiclone. 3.75mg (half a tablet) for a 6 hour flight. 7.5mg for 10 or more.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jun 15, 2015 at 3:26 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
All the Nyquil, Tylenol PM, Sleepy pills etc all have Benadryl as the stuff that makes you sleep. Might as well just get plain old generic allergy meds: $4/100 at WalMart in the pink and white bottle. Compared to Ambien, it's slower acting (1-2 hours) longer lasting (8-10 hours) and frequently will leave you with a bit of a hangover affect when you wake up.

I'm a fan of Ambien for knocking down time zones. It's my circadian rhythm defibrillator. That said, DO NOT let the first (or second, third or fourth) time you take Ambien be on a plane or in a strange hotel room.
Try it 5 or 6 times AT HOME, WITH YOUR SPOUSE (or someone you won't mind discovering you had sex with the night before ;-) ).
Also, do not take it before you go to bed. Take it IN bed.
If your spouse is concerned about your behavior while under the influence of ambien (you won't remember a thing), don't take it on a plane.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by airmotive
All the Nyquil, Tylenol PM, Sleepy pills etc all have Benadryl as the stuff that makes you sleep.
Benadryl is a brand name, and is diphenhydramine in the US. It is various other drugs in other locations around the world, so the chemical name is what to look for.

ZzzQuil is the only Nyquil-type product with diphenhydramine (which is >60 years old and long past patent protection). Most "PM" meds also contain diphenhydramine.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
With the Ambian or the zzzquil I am worried I will wake up with my head on my seat mate. Are you out cold with these medications or will I have an awareness that I am disturbing people around me and can stop myself?
Anecdotes from friends of mine who pop pills to sleep on flights are that, yes, you're out cold. That said, I don't think you're any more likely to nestle in to the person next to you than you would be normally while asleep. Use a headrest or neck pillow to control the slump. Also, several of my friends have found that taking just a half dose of Ambien makes it easier to wake up. Whatever you choose, try it in the safety of your home first to learn how your body reacts to it before using it in an airplane or hotel room.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by CPRich
Benadryl is a brand name, and is diphenhydramine in the US. It is various other drugs in other locations around the world, so the chemical name is what to look for.

ZzzQuil is the only Nyquil-type product with diphenhydramine (which is >60 years old and long past patent protection). Most "PM" meds also contain diphenhydramine.
It's worth noting that most Nyquil formulations (except children's) contain doxylamine succinate. Doxylamine is also used in Unisom in the United States and similar preparations in other countries. Doxylamine and diphenhydramine are among the most powerful antihistamines, and also the most sedating.

Some people have reported good results, especially less hangover, with dimenhydrinate, the ingredient in the original formulation of Dramamine.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I don't sleep well in economy seats, no matter what I do. Upgrading to a lie flat seat and some wine are my best methods for sleeping on airplanes.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:31 pm

Ambien's working slogans:

Ambien, Middle seat Y. Why? Because you won't remember.

Ambien, Making F the back of the bus.

Ambien, Cryostasis in your purse.

Last edited by Fleck; Jun 15, 2015 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Earplugs and an eyemask make a big difference too.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:38 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
One of my colleagues took an ambien before departure. The plane left the gate and then turned around and came back before takeoff due to a mechanical problem. Too late to un-take the pill.

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
I'm in the same boat as OP, and have found that Benadryl does the trick for me. Simple to buy over-the-counter and doesn't leave me feeling too groggy after waking up.
I take benadryl plus a glass or two of wine. I only do this for longhaul flights, which is just a couple times per year. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as effective now as it once was.

*This is my opinion/experience. I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.