FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   i hate when other people book my travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1687237-i-hate-when-other-people-book-my-travel.html)

nlkm9 Jun 12, 2015 11:17 am

i hate when other people book my travel

:mad::mad:
this is just a silly rant...
im very very greatful to have landed a new job, but my luck everyone in HR is way right now so my new boss booked my travel for the next few weeks--
I live in CLT and love us air, and she asked me for flight examples of what I would like and then did it her own way--one flight is southwest, connecting each way (yes the price is good but I think paying $50 more each way to ensure you get there is worth it) and then another flight she booked me delta, also conecting, when there was a direct us air flight for maybe 50 more--I actually called delta and paid out of my pocket to ensure I have aisle seats.
I get she wants to establish that she is the boss, but I find it ridiculously unproductive to book me on connecting flights when a direct option is close to the same price.
thats it, rant over, cannot wait until i can do this on my own:)

Jaimito Cartero Jun 12, 2015 11:20 am

Originally Posted by nlkm9 (Post 24960558)
:mad::mad:
this is just a silly rant...
im very very greatful to have landed a new job, but my luck everyone in HR is way right now so my new boss booked my travel for the next few weeks--
I live in CLT and love us air, and she asked me for flight examples of what I would like and then did it her own way--one flight is southwest, connecting each way (yes the price is good but I think paying $50 more each way to ensure you get there is worth it) and then another flight she booked me delta, also conecting, when there was a direct us air flight for maybe 50 more--I actually called delta and paid out of my pocket to ensure I have aisle seats.
I get she wants to establish that she is the boss, but I find it ridiculously unproductive to book me on connecting flights when a direct option is close to the same price.
thats it, rant over, cannot wait until i can do this on my own:)

Could be worse. Greyhound is still around, right?

gobluetwo Jun 12, 2015 11:29 am

Why did you let your boss book the travel? Are you not allowed to book your own travel? Did you give your boss the specific flights you wanted? Does your company have a restrictive travel policy like that you MUST take the lowest fare option up to 1 connection in each direction?

And HR people booking travel? I'm guessing it's a smaller company.

rankourabu Jun 12, 2015 11:35 am

Time for a job change?

mbece Jun 12, 2015 11:41 am

Get very familiar with your travel policies.

Do you need to go with the cheapest carrier every time? What happens if your travel plans change -now you'd be hit with potentially two separate change fees? Would they cover your accommodation and meals if you got stranded somewhere?

ajGoes Jun 12, 2015 11:48 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 24960625)
Why did you let your boss book the travel?

You and OP may understand the word "boss" differently. :)

fotographer Jun 12, 2015 11:50 am

i hate when other people book my travel

I am so glad I book my own tickets

MSPeconomist Jun 12, 2015 11:54 am

To me, this sounds strange. If I don't make my own travel arrangements, my assistant does it. It's normally a job for a subordinate, not a supervisor.

The only explanation I can imagine would be if travel needed to be booked before you officially start the job but internal systems require that only employees can log into the system. Still, I would expect the new boss to delegate the travel arrangements to someone at your level or lower, perhaps a new peer but ideally the boss's own assistant or other support staff.

Did you not ask about the travel policy before accepting the job, especially if heavy travel is required?

Often1 Jun 12, 2015 12:00 pm

maybe op's employer should invest in capital letters for its keyboards with the savings it achieves from el cheapo flights.

My guess is that this is travel policy, not who books it. OP may thing that $50 is worth it to avoid a connection, but his employer may not. Suggests to me that he took the job without asking.

Not that he should have rejected the offer, but as it's important to him, at least know before accepting.

Doc Savage Jun 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 24960798)
maybe op's employer should invest in capital letters for its keyboards with the savings it achieves from el cheapo flights.

My guess is that this is travel policy, not who books it. OP may thing that $50 is worth it to avoid a connection, but his employer may not. Suggests to me that he took the job without asking.

Not that he should have rejected the offer, but as it's important to him, at least know before accepting.

Maybe you should read what you write before hitting "submit." :rolleyes:

OP, hopefully you will be able to convince them it isn't worth their time to do the flight booking for you after you get settled in to the new job.

Kagehitokiri Jun 12, 2015 12:36 pm

try to explore options of booking yourself with you paying difference?

nlkm9 Jun 12, 2015 12:46 pm

Why did you let your boss book the travel? Are you not allowed to book your own travel? Did you give your boss the specific flights you wanted? Does your company have a restrictive travel policy like that you MUST take the lowest fare option up to 1 connection in each direction?

No we generally book our own, but since HR is away I cant be put on concur system. Yes I told her what flights I want, and that I preferred non-stop--I think she is showing me who is boss, and all my replies have been "oh thats great!!" hopefully these will be the 2 last times. She does seem to be very cost concious, so I know that I wont be able to always use american, but if I can avoid connecting flights I would like to.

nlkm9 Jun 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 24960874)
Maybe you should read what you write before hitting "submit." :rolleyes:

OP, hopefully you will be able to convince them it isn't worth their time to do the flight booking for you after you get settled in to the new job.

LOL!! and why does everyone think I'm a he?? :)

nlkm9 Jun 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Ive worked for many companies that are very restrictive. but moving forward I will make sure I make the best selections that work for the company and me!!
I will never understand the mentality that connecting flights are better even if its a small savings.
Im just going to pay out of pocket this time around and then should be good to go moving forward. I have never traveled on more than one airline at a time, which is an interesting concept.....

CPRich Jun 12, 2015 12:51 pm

I've had an admin assitant for 20+ years. I used to share with 10-15 others, now it's only 2 of us. Not once have I had her book my travel.

Originally Posted by nlkm9 (Post 24961036)
LOL!! and why does everyone think I'm a he?? :)

I thing only one person used "him", "he", and "his" - the one complaining about problems with your post.