Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I LOVE Trip Reports but does it bother you when...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG

Warning: Rant ahead:

I love reading and watching Trip Reports and learning how others have collected points/paid to sit up front.

However, what really grinds my gears is when the person doing the report takes a selfie and I see that they have simply thrown on an ill-fitting t-shirt and horrible looking jeans with running shoes just to take them off and show us their holy socks and spread out on an ottoman in J or F class. They have saved up all these points and, in fact, made purchases to get the points (of which obviously weren't clothing related).

While travel blogging/travelling isn't my income profession, I still think we as flyertalk members are part of a "profession". So I say this to the Trip Reporters out there...put on a button up shirt, buy some jeans/pants with no stretch marks and get some decent looking shoes. Does anyone else think this?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Not really.

Boorish behavior, nasty personal odors - those bother me.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by chollie
Not really.

Boorish behavior, nasty personal odors - those bother me.

Those are bad too.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
I still think we as flyertalk members are part of a "profession". So I say this to the Trip Reporters out there...put on a button up shirt, buy some jeans/pants with no stretch marks and get some decent looking shoes. Does anyone else think this?
Not me. Not even close.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
I still think we as flyertalk members are part of a "profession". So I say this to the Trip Reporters out there...put on a button up shirt, buy some jeans/pants with no stretch marks and get some decent looking shoes. Does anyone else think this?
Not me. Not even close.
Me either...if I don't have a meeting when I land I am always dressing for comfort and usually that means a t-shirt and jeans or shorts (sometimes sweats) and running shoes. If it is football season I will be wearing my Kam Chancellor jersey.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always make a point to dress somewhat nicely when traveling but how others dress doesn't bother me at all. I love seeing how different people travel, it's part of the fun.

The only thing that bugs me in trip reports is when people blur out their face while posting hundreds of pics of random people like it's no big deal. I think you should give others the same privacy you require.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
You could go to the extreme with the dressing up. I sat opposite a guy who had every piece of Louis Vuitton clothing, jewellery and accessories ever made. He looked like a tool. He had labels upon labels... LV shoes, LV branded Jeans, LV belt, LV hat, LV shirt, LV watch, LV bracelets, LV necklace... when he bent over I am sure he had brand name undies. He had his LV luggage of course. It was complete overkill. I think I would rather a regular t-shirt and shorts.

Russell Crowe wears horrible old fashioned jeans and tatty runners and he has a gazillion dollars! I'd still travel on F or private with him!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I don't dress or travel to please you. I don't expect anything different from others. Just don't smell bad or encroach on my space.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
The days when it was appropriate to dress up to travel up front are long gone.

These days the biggest bum in the J/F cabin is likely a tech CEO.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
While travel blogging/travelling isn't my income profession, I still think we as flyertalk members are part of a "profession". So I say this to the Trip Reporters out there...put on a button up shirt, buy some jeans/pants with no stretch marks and get some decent looking shoes. Does anyone else think this?
Oh my heavens yes. Standards in society have fallen so. You never see a tie in the lounge, yoga pants are everywhere as are men whose garments barely cover their dangly bits and wear sandals without socks. Quelle horreur.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jun 10, 2015 at 9:04 am Reason: not needed comment
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as they don't smell, I don't care what they wear. If I am taking anything over 6 hours, I will either wear, or change into some yoga pants so I can curl up and personally see nothing offensive about soft, black material on my lower half.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Perhaps this post is more appropriate for the "I need to vent" thread.

Worse than what people wear are the lack of manners with people.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Warning: Rant ahead:

I love reading and watching Trip Reports and learning how others have collected points/paid to sit up front.

However, what really grinds my gears is when the person doing the report takes a selfie and I see that they have simply thrown on an ill-fitting t-shirt and horrible looking jeans with running shoes just to take them off and show us their holy socks and spread out on an ottoman in J or F class. They have saved up all these points and, in fact, made purchases to get the points (of which obviously weren't clothing related).

Lord Scott Disick, is that you?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I can't honestly say I've ever lost one wink of sleep over what other people wear on public transportation.

Sometimes I'm in a suit. Sometimes I'm in shorts and a T-shirt. I usually dress for whatever I'm doing at the end of the ride. If it's a long-haul airline flight chances are good that I'm heading first to a hotel and a shower, so onboard I'm *not* dressed up. Short-haul flight I might be headed straight to a meeting, so slacks and a button-down are more common.

For a brief moment, I thought the rant was going to be about selfies in general. In that case, I might've +1'ed you... @:-)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

topic here is selfies..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.