FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   how to behave after you've been upgraded (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1685378-how-behave-after-youve-been-upgraded.html)

LondonElite Jun 5, 2015 5:35 am

how to behave after you've been upgraded

Warning: you may find this amusing. I don't think the author flies very often.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ul-flight.html

mike2200 Jun 5, 2015 6:12 am

Your right

Kagehitokiri Jun 5, 2015 9:51 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 24922770)

there are some very strange writings in media, PR, etc. worst is PR when it sounds like PR person has zero experience with industry, let alone product.

paul4040 Jun 5, 2015 12:23 pm

Best opening line in the Mail EVER:

"I'm often accused of being elitist"

No need to read any further!

pinniped Jun 5, 2015 1:59 pm

Amusing. :)

The only wrinkle is that while the ground crew *does* occasionally issue an upgrade to the Turn Right Class, they typically do it to a frequent flier - someone with elite status in that program. I might be rocking my velour tracksuit, but if I'm the ranking elite in steerage and they need to bump one up, I'm getting it long before the GA gets to evaluate my fashion sense. (The article seems to reinforce that pre-FFP notion that people in suits get upgraded.)

Also, the "treat the FA better" part seems to indicate it's okay to be a total d*ck to the FA if you're sitting in Y. I don't agree with that...

lhrsfo Jun 5, 2015 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by mike2200 (Post 24922891)
Your right

It may be your right, but it's my left.

Back on topic, from an American point of view, the article is meaningless as the whole flying game is about upgrades. However, along with the small planes, upgrading in America still generally involves turning right, in the literal sense and in the metaphorical sense. Which, of course, is why "First Class" is really big seat economy class. That is not so much the case elsewhere, where people do behave better in Business Class than in Economy - and get much better service and amenities.

Yuengling Jun 5, 2015 2:54 pm

I just wear my F pajamas to the airport so everyone knows that I expect to be upgraded.

HMO Jun 5, 2015 3:21 pm

When I read this kind of article, I remember the time I joked with two friends that they need to use dress and high heels because flying int'l wasn't the same thing as taking a Greyhound...

I forgot the conversation, some time later they asked me for a ride to the airport for their int'l trip. When I arrived at their house, they were both with heavy make-up, fancy dresses and serious high-heels... It seems they were going to a gala ball, not for a 10-hour trip in Y.

I didn't have the courage to tell them I was joking. OK, it was more than 25 years ago, but still today I felt some gilt about that...

pinniped Jun 5, 2015 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 24925429)
That is not so much the case elsewhere, where people do behave better in Business Class than in Economy

I gotta ask: how often is this a problem? In what region of the world is it likely to happen?

I haven't flown as many of the world's airlines as some FTers, but I've probably flown most of the ones in Star Alliance and Oneworld at one point or another, some in all three cabins. I'm thankful that I haven't personally run across this in my travels. Occasionally a bad apple somewhere...someone who probably would behave badly in any cabin...but never an undercurrent of unruly or unkind behavior across an entire Y cabin.

Maybe I'm naive, but especially when I'm flying an airline where I'm the obvious foreigner, I try to be pleasant to the FA's and other pax regardless of where my seat is. Perhaps I've also been lucky not to be on a lot of flights frequented by large groups of holiday travelers...I suppose those could get rowdy and cross the line into bad behavior after a few cocktails.

Doc Savage Jun 5, 2015 3:34 pm

Poor little twit doesn't know how to spell "madding" or "lie-flat."

The article appears clearly designed to rouse the rabble in defiance of his prissiness. :rolleyes:

Tchiowa Jun 5, 2015 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 24922770)

Originally Posted by mike2200 (Post 24922891)
Your right

Yeah, a whole lot of cluelessness going on in that article.

Globalist Jun 6, 2015 12:25 am

I love taking pictures.. Lots of them... That makes me out of place?

I probably fly more premium than the author...

Biatch

Globalist

drewp123 Jun 6, 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Globalist (Post 24927208)
I love taking pictures.. Lots of them... That makes me out of place?

I probably fly more premium than the author...

Biatch

Globalist

You don't find it odd when someone begins staging an impromptu photo shoot?

darthbimmer Jun 6, 2015 10:47 am

Most of the author's advice can be boiled down to one line: Act like you've been there before.

Then there's his tip about dressing well to increase your chance of an upgrade. That hasn't been true for, what, 20 years now? Folks in the media have been writing it for so long they believe it's still true.

nrr Jun 6, 2015 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Yuengling (Post 24925515)
I just wear my F pajamas to the airport so everyone knows that I expect to be upgraded.

I've seen some prison "wear" that can be passed off as PJs.:rolleyes: