Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

how to behave after you've been upgraded

how to behave after you've been upgraded

Old Jun 8, 15, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott PP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
The article mentions celebrities--I've never seen one on a AA flt.
There's a whole thread in the AA forums about celebrity sightings! But you've got to be on the right routes to see them with any regularity...same as any other airline.
Old Jun 8, 15, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LTPP 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
On overnight flights I change into a sleeveless running jersey and lightweight running shorts -- the lightest clothing I have. I do this because the cabin is usually way too warm, making it difficult for me to sleep.

I'm guessing this guy thinks I'm doing the premium cabins all wrong. I can live with that.

BTW, that "extra respect" bit is particularly silly. You treat FAs with the same respect regardless of which cabin they're working and which one you're in. What's with this guy?
I also find cabin temps are way too warm. Maybe I'll start a new thread - 2 weeks ago I was on an AA LHR-LAX flight and woke up in a sweat after a couple of hours. I've noticed this over the years a lot but like you just change once aboard. It was a 77W in J. I have a watch which when off the wrist for 15-20 minutes gives a very accurate temp reading. It was 80 degrees. Went up to the FA station between J and F and the FA panel had the temp set at 76. She dialed it down and in minutes my J seat in row 12 was 73.

In any case, I dress well but casually and if I dress down its usually not until I'm aboard. I think my attire has had zero to do with AA SWU upgrades. When I've had OP-UPs its been from J to F international and again, I don't think anyone from AA had a look at me before that. I don't remember ever getting a OP-UP domestically.
Old Jun 8, 15, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Take the F champagne and spray it F1 style in celebration.
In this instance, you should disregard the article and actually wear your track suit on board. "I call this the Schumacher."
Old Jun 9, 15, 12:25 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
why did they take a photo of what looks to be a melted UA F ice cream sundae?

thankfully I also now know I can't just steal any cutlery or crockery I like.
Old Jun 9, 15, 12:54 am

Wear a "poverty sucks" tshirt?
Old Jun 9, 15, 1:25 am

How do you get upgraded randomly in the first place?
I was twice upgraded for no reason (no status, etc) and I would really like to make this systematic lol.
Old Jun 9, 15, 8:03 am
HMO

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4 View Post
I was twice upgraded for no reason (no status, etc) and I would really like to make this systematic lol.
Mrs & myself were once upgraded to E+ because I was nice to GA. No airline status, cheap ticket, IROP, just because (I believe) I was smiling and being polite to him.
Old Jun 9, 15, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
The article mentions celebrities--I've never seen one on a AA flt.
Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Ideally, and some of the more established stars will appreciate this detail, pretend you have no idea who they are.
OMG, author is setting up his fans for some mighty disappointment. Does anyone really believe this??

Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Yeah, I don't think that works. I frequently show up at the airport wearing a dress, high heels and plenty of eye shadow and I've never been upgraded for it.
OTOH, you did make the Vanity Fair cover

Originally Posted by AATrout View Post
I also find cabin temps are way too warm. Maybe I'll start a new thread - 2 weeks ago I was on an AA LHR-LAX flight and woke up in a sweat after a couple of hours.
Many threads already on this topic. Not to start a war, but a lot of women feel cold more readily than a lot of men. It happens in offices a lot too. A metabolism thing. Dilemma is that it's always possible to put more clothing on, but there's a limit to how much you can take off: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17840441-post24.html
Old Jun 9, 15, 10:35 pm

When I get upgraded without using tons of points or money I present a calm, collected image to the outside world, but inside i'm screaming with delight

Once I was upgraded late onto a Qantas flight. I had never been in J before so when I sat down beside my seatmate I eagerly started reading some magazines that were on the armrest between the two seats. I noticed soon that the lady next to me was silently staring at me. i had assumed the magazines were free for J passengers but they were actually hers and she was NOT impressed and I assume saw straight through me trying to hide how excited I was to be there
Old Jun 10, 15, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4 View Post
I was upgraded on Qantas from J to F. No idea why as I have no status and fly with any airline I want. I too would like to make that systematic! lol
Old Jun 10, 15, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Yeah, I don't think that works. I frequently show up at the airport wearing a dress, high heels and plenty of eye shadow and I've never been upgraded for it.

Mike
Love to see you at the Boston Do in two weeks like that!
Old Jun 11, 15, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
How to behave (any time in life):
- don't be a tool.
- treat others the way you want to be treated.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Kimpton IC,Hilton Diamond,Costco Exec,Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry View Post
How to behave (any time in life):
- don't be a tool.
- treat others the way you want to be treated.
Good tips. I struggle with the first one on occasion.
Old Jun 11, 15, 9:23 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
I usually strut down the aisle like this.
What moves....
Old Jun 11, 15, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock View Post
Good tips. I struggle with the first one on occasion.
lol me too, nobody's perfect. I guess realizing it is the first step

Search this Thread