FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Can my 16 year old daughter fly alone with no ID? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1683438-can-my-16-year-old-daughter-fly-alone-no-id.html)

BrettS May 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Can my 16 year old daughter fly alone with no ID?

I just booked flights for my daughter to visit her grandparents next week and it just occurred to me that she doesn’t have any government ID. When she’s traveled with us before she hasn’t needed it, but her mom and I had ID.

She leaves Wednesday and we may be able to rush and get her a state ID card before then if we need to or if it would make things easier for her.

If it makes a difference, she’s flying out on southwest and back on allegiant.

planemechanic May 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Get her the State ID, it's not worth the hassle otherwise.

Doc Savage May 28, 2015 5:59 pm

Does she have a school picture ID? That may help. Otherwise, a parent or grandparent may need to accompany her at least to TSA.

Best of all if you can swing a state ID in that short time. It would be impossible in California.

bwiadca May 28, 2015 6:02 pm

What about passport?

Cat Man Do May 28, 2015 6:04 pm

i second the school ID. If it's a US public school, that counts as government-issued photo ID.

Doc Savage May 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 24884387)
What about passport?

Surprisingly, that might be the easiest ID to get on a semi-emergency basis.:D

Tchiowa May 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Here is a list of acceptable IDs:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

Note that it says "18 and older" giving you some wiggle room. Althought I expect that's because they anticipate an adult will accompany. It also says that if you don't have ID you can still travel but (expect to be hassled, effectively).

Interesting that a weapons permit is not considered "acceptable ID" to get on a plane. :)

Often1 May 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do (Post 24884393)
i second the school ID. If it's a US public school, that counts as government-issued photo ID.

Incorrect. School ID's are not on the list of approved government-issued ID's. Here is the list.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

Just get her the state ID or an expedited passport. It's theoretically possible to travel on a domestic flight with no ID, but that requires independent verifications. Given that a 16 YOA may well not have established credit, utility service and the like, it's not worth the hassle.

Artpen100 May 29, 2015 6:35 am

My daughter used her school ID, but I would also get a gate pass to go through security with her to make sure she could board or in case something went wrong (it never did). All you needed to do was check in with her and ask the agent for one. I think I used to call the airline first, too.

MSPeconomist May 29, 2015 6:41 am

Are the grandparents who will be taking her to the airport on the other end experienced travelers? Would they know what to do if she has trouble at the airport there?

gotofly May 29, 2015 6:44 am

One more thing you can try is tell the airline she is traveling as an unaccompanied minor and would like to have her fly with an attendant. You will have to provide the names of the person dropping her and picking her up at the airport. The airline will make sure she is handed to the right person. I have done that with my kids and there was no need for an Id. But there is a cost associated with this and check with your airline is the charge you have to pay is better or getting her a state issued id. Good luck.

guv1976 May 29, 2015 7:44 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by gotofly
One more thing you can try is tell the airline she is traveling as an unaccompanied minor and would like to have her fly with an attendant. You will have to provide the names of the person dropping her and picking her up at the airport. The airline will make sure she is handed to the right person. I have done that with my kids and there was no need for an Id. But there is a cost associated with this and check with your airline is the charge you have to pay is better or getting her a state issued id. Good luck.

Southwest does not offer unaccompanied minor service to 16-year-olds; Allegiant does not offer UM service at all.

guv1976 May 29, 2015 7:46 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The TSA does not require any ID from 16-year-olds:

"Q. What ID is needed for minors traveling domestically/internationally?
A. Minor children (younger than 18) are not required to provide an ID at the airport security checkpoint. They will just need their boarding pass."

However, Allegiant requires that a 16-year-old travel with his/her birth certificate. Southwest requires proof of age (such as a birth certificate).

chollie May 29, 2015 8:12 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 24886695)

The TSA does not require any ID from 16-year-olds:

"Q.. What ID is needed for minors traveling domestically/internationally?
A.. Minor children (younger than 18) are not required to provide an ID at the airport security checkpoint..They will just need their boarding pass."

However, Allegiant requires that a 16-year-old travel with his/her birth certificate. Southwest requires proof of age (such as a birth certificate).

The problem is that there's always a possibility that the TDC will decide that she looks 18 and ID is required. :rolleyes:

mules May 29, 2015 8:35 am

My 18 year old couldn't find her driver's license in her wallet. The accepted her SCUBA card (picture id) with her credit card. IIRC they did hand search her baggage.