Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can my 16 year old daughter fly alone with no ID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can my 16 year old daughter fly alone with no ID?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mules
My 18 year old couldn't find her driver's license in her wallet. The accepted her SCUBA card (picture id) with her credit card. IIRC they did hand search her baggage.
Yeah, this is likely the worst that will happen - a sub-18 will get challenged on age and put through an extra bit of groping and swabbing. As long as she's polite and doesn't display a shred of 'attitude', she'll ultimately get on the plane. If she's unaccompanied at the checkpoint, she just needs to be prepared for the possibility of extra handling.

Tell her to 'dress down', ie, nothing remotely sexy or attractive.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
My daughter has not had any problems up to age 17 when flying alone without an ID. Sometimes the TSA ID check clerk has ased "what's your birthday?", "what's your age", or ask to speak her name (sometimes a combination)...other times they've said nothing.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:49 pm

No ID Required

The TSA does not require ID for those under 18. End of story.

And, my under 18 kids have gone through TSA easily without ID without adult accompaniment. They just tell the ID checker they are under 18.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
The TSA does not require ID for those under 18. End of story.

And, my under 18 kids have gone through TSA easily without ID without adult accompaniment. They just tell the ID checker they are under 18.
That may be the end of the story as far as the TSA is concerned, but the passenger still has to satisfy whatever requirements each individual airline (Allegiant and Southwest, in this case) has for 16-year-olds. As noted upthread, Allegiant requires a birth certificate.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to airline requirements, I'd also worry about how a sixteen year old can prove to TSA that she's under eighteen if she has no ID with an age or birthdate.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A lot of back-and-forth when OP can get his kid a state ID and be done with the issue for all time. Who needs the hassle?
Old May 29, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
A lot of back-and-forth when OP can get his kid a state ID and be done with the issue for all time. Who needs the hassle?
Exactly, although I'd be tempted to just get her a passport since at 16, she's likely to get a driver's license soon, which would make the state nondriver ID redundant.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In addition to airline requirements, I'd also worry about how a sixteen year old can prove to TSA that she's under eighteen if she has no ID with an age or birthdate.
You can worry, but needlessly so. As a couple of us have posted above, and others in the TSS forums from actual experience, TSA doesn't ask for ID to prove you're under 18 (some airlines may have their own company requirements). Otherwise they would simply require ID in the first place, as why bother? As illogical as the TSA is, they aren't that bad.

At least in my daughter's many experiences, they sometimes ask her birthday or name, I guess to try and trip her up? But nothing more - and even then it didn't always happen.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
You can worry, but needlessly so. As a couple of us have posted above, and others in the TSS forums from actual experience, TSA doesn't ask for ID to prove you're under 18 (some airlines may have their own company requirements). Otherwise they would simply require ID in the first place, as why bother? As illogical as the TSA is, they aren't that bad.

At least in my daughter's many experiences, they sometimes ask her birthday or name, I guess to try and trip her up? But nothing more - and even then it didn't always happen.
Since it's TSA, I would not bet on this working at all airports, nor do I assume that TSA requirements are logical. All it takes is one TSA employee and a supervisor who backs up their subordinate and pretty soon the daughter is not flying anywhere today. It's not like the kid obviously looks much much younger than 18. A five year old should be safe without the ID, but not so for a teen, even if it's a low probability (but high cost) risk.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Often1
It's really not usually possible to get state ID immediately these days. Hopefully New Mexico is faster, but I wouldn't bet in it.

An expedited passport might be possible.

ETA: Whoops, I'd remembered the OP as from Albuquerque, not Albany....

Last edited by Doc Savage; May 29, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Old May 29, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It's really not usually possible to get state ID immediately these days. Hopefully New Mexico is faster, but I wouldn't bet in it.

An expedited passport might be possible.
That's what I would try, but the expedited service might require documents showing planned international travel within the next two weeks.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's what I would try, but the expedited service might require documents showing planned international travel within the next two weeks.
One would hope the agency would understand in this case, but you never know with government bureaucracy.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
One would hope the agency would understand in this case, but you never know with government bureaucracy.
Or one can make plans for a foreign trip, including purchase of a refundable ticket and making cancelable hotel reservations before changing one's mind.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://dmv.ny.gov/id-card/bget-non-driver-id-card-ndid
Old May 30, 2015, 10:01 am

Does she not have her NY state learner's permit yet? If she does that should work fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.