Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

And if you look out the left side of the aircraft...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Do airlines not point things out to passengers when they're flying over them anymore? It seems like all we get is a 'we'll be heading north and then turning left' right at the start of the trip. I'm pretty sure, although my memory may be false, that on my first transcon flight from JFK-SFO, we were shown several sights, the only one that sticks in my mind being Grand Canyon.

Is there a safety issue? Are we all so jaded that nobody even cares? Or are they still doing it, and I'm just not flying the right airlines? I don't need it all the time, but every now and then if something interesting is nearby.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Used to be that was the only form of in-flight entertainment available. Now most passengers are absorbed in watching movies or using PEDs (the electronic kind, not the pharmaceutical kind ) that they don't want to be disturbed.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
It's definitely a very rare thing to hear a pilot point out a landmark. The last time for me was in March when we flew from Chicago to LA and as we flew over Las Vegas (at night) the pilot said, "Real quick folks, if you look out to your right, you'll see the brightly lit Las Vegas strip" and that was it. People actually were saying ooohhh and ahhh. It was neat! I wish they did it more!
Old May 28, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by psychokilla
Is there a safety issue? Are we all so jaded that nobody even cares? Or are they still doing it, and I'm just not flying the right airlines? I don't need it all the time, but every now and then if something interesting is nearby.
Last thing I want is more P.A. interruptions...
Old May 28, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I think it depends on the pilot. I've had some pilots point out the cities/landmarks we were passing and I've had others not saying anything. I flew CLT-PVD on July 4th las year and thanks to the pilot's announcement, I caught the fireworks on Atlantic City which I thought was really cool.

Whenever they do make announcements, I make sure to thank them as I leave the aircraft. I enjoy looking out the window and it helps to know what I'm looking at.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
DL 2534 pilot pointed out Niagara Falls en route LAX-BOS the day before yesterday. Other than that, he wasn't the chatty type. Don't recall any of the other pilots on that trip pointing out anything, but in all fairness, there isn't much to point out between the U.S. west coast and Australia/New Zealand. ("If you look out the left side of the aircraft, you can see a lot of water, and if you look out the right side, you can see more water.")
Old May 28, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: DL

You flew over the Grand Canyon on the way from New York to San Francisco? The Grand Canyon is dramatic and always worth the trip, but that seems like quite a detour.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It now seems to be limited to something extraordinary.

I was coming into Orlando just after dusk the we were told we could see the Disney fireworks, which were spectacular from the air.

Flying into NRT it was pointed out that the weather conditions were perfect that day and you could see the top of Mt. Fuji sticking out above the clouds and with the sun behind it.

That sort of thing.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While I understand that there are nervous passengers who want to hear the Captain's voice, I would be thrilled if carriers cut the chatter down to required safety and logistics matters.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PradoC
Last thing I want is more P.A. interruptions...
+100

^^
Old May 28, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

I think it's accurate to say when flying over the Grand Canyon the pilot of any airline will point it out to the passengers.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Independent
I haven't had a pilot mention anything in eons. For that matter, look at the discussion on window shades. Most flights I am on lately very few people even look out the window, so few would be interested in the sights to be seen.

Perhaps this would make something interesting to show on IFE besides the stuff I can just as easily watch at home.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My AA pilots have been about 50/50 in pointing out Lake Tahoe and/or Yosemite when making the initial descent announcement on Westbound flights to SFO. They also pointed out Zion and Bryce Canyon on my last ORD-SAN. I think it's probably more common if the pilots are already coming on to announce something else; I can't recall the last time I heard an announcement mid-flight.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
I think it's accurate to say when flying over the Grand Canyon the pilot of any airline will point it out to the passengers.
Not in my experience. And I've flown over it many times.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The last time I remember being ask to see a special sight was Mt Fuji from the air. Pilot apologize for the announcement and its interruption but mention that a clear sight of it from the NGO DTW flight path is a very rare occurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.