Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pack list for international business travel - please share ideas

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm about to start traveling overseas to business (western Europe and Asia).
I'm putting together a pack list - don't want to pack too much or forget something important.
Please share your international business trip pack lists (no need to list clothing or toiletries unless there is something specific you recommend)
Greatly appreciate. Hope this will be helpful to others as well.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:54 pm

Clothing and toiletries are all you need. Well, laptop too. I travel with my own pillow since hotel pillows are unpredictable. But truthfully, what do you need at home? If you don't use it on a daily basis you can do without on a business trip.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
A multi socket power board for my electricals with a multi-country adapter.

Allows you to plug in 4 - 6 items with just one power point and adapter.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
If you have prescription meds make sure they are in the original prescription containers. Also check to see if some might be illegal, even by prescription.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I'll share my packing list ideas below, but there are two key questions to help decide what to take:

1. How long is the trip? I can make do with just the bare minimum for a few days, but for long trips (> 2 weeks) I want a few extra comforts/conveniences.

2. Will you have time (or be in the right location) to go shopping if it turns out you need something you left out? There's a school of thought that says "just make sure you have your passport and your credit card - you can buy anything else", but if you arrive at 8 pm the day before your first appointment and are staying in a hotel in the middle of an industrial park, this is not really practical. On the other hand, I've bought toiletries, stockings, socks, gloves, pajamas and two winter coats on various business trips when it was either more convenient or I failed to pack something. (And then there were the times my luggage was delayed, but that's another thread...)

My list has the following categories: business clothes, casual clothes (evening, weekend, sport), toiletries, medication* (prescription, vitamins, aspirin, etc), electronics (devices, cables/chargers, power converters). I also pack an umbrella, some plastic hangers**, some spare ziploc bags, and a few plastic and paper shopping bags***.

*Some prescription and OTC medications from the USA are not legal in some other countries (I think Japan can be complicated, for example); check before you go.

** Those hotel hangers that only work in the hotel closet are useless for hanging clothes to dry (or to steam) in the bathroom.

*** These take up almost no space or weight but are frequently useful.

I keep my list on my computer and/or phone, tick things off as I pack them, then update after the trip to delete things I didn't need or add things I wished I'd taken.

Edit: apart from the power converters, I use the same list for domestic travel.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K

Small alcohol pads (swabs). I use them to disinfect TV remotes, phones, door handles and light switches. They cost about $5 for a box of 100 at many pharmacies.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:28 am

I've never disinfected any of those things yet never gotten sick from them that I know of.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:26 am

I travel two to three weeks at a time. 3 part system for me, clothes, plane and work. Office clothes, dining/evening clothes, hotel/gym clothes. iPod, aspirin, headphones and good ear plugs for the plane. Nice notebook for conference room, lots of biz cards for Asia, all in one adapter. My biggest problem is electric razor. I don't pay attention and tend to plug it in to various outlets all the time and fry the circuits or whatever forgetting it needs a converter not just adapter.

You'll get used to it quick and have a routine. If something isn't in its spot now in my bag I notice immediately. FWIW I never take a coat even to Europe in winter, packing is too tight, carrying on is annoying when in the back, and I have my suit jacket.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There's nothing for me that's different if I go abroad or stay at home. You either need stuff or you don't.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
A multi socket power board for my electricals with a multi-country adapter.

Allows you to plug in 4 - 6 items with just one power point and adapter.
If you bring a power strip, make sure it isn't also a surge protector. Years ago I heard this was a good idea as some older hotels in Europe have limited or inconveniently located power outlets. I thought I just had a power strip until after I plugged it in. About 10-15 seconds later, I heard a pop and there was a fried electronics smell in the air. All of the stuff plugged into the power strip was fine but the that was the end of the power strip.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by spd476
If you bring a power strip, make sure it isn't also a surge protector.
And if it hadn't been a surge protector, all your devices would have been fried! I think the need for power strips has pretty much disappeared these days.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

A few things that have been very useful to me aside from what's been mentioned:

-- portable battery pack for your phone/tablet
-- a travel scale for weighing your bag in case you're close to the limits
-- resistance bands for some light exercise anywhere (some hotels don't have gyms, or weights)
Old May 18, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM

don't forget a travel adaptor. $25 now, priceless when you need it and can't find one to purchase....
Old May 18, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
If there's one thing you can't forget...undies.

Beyond that, attempt to pair clothes you can create different outfits with if that's important to you.

Power adapter, hopefully you can find one that has everything built in so you're not carrying the little baggy of even flimsier attachments.

I always like to photocopy (and laminate when possible) my passport and any visa that I may need. One on my person, one in my carry-on/checked bag and one in my backpack.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by spd476
If you bring a power strip, make sure it isn't also a surge protector.
And if it hadn't been a surge protector, all your devices would have been fried! I think the need for power strips has pretty much disappeared these days.
The cheap surge protectors are only designed for the local voltage, so you fry the surge protector if you plug a US one into 240v sockets. There may be some switching ones, but I found this one works well enough for me (and its small):

Monster Outlets To Go Powerstrip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ONZTMW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_LKGwvb1KVJ7B0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.