Wiki Posts
Search

David Goldberg death and third world risk

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat

Much is being made of factors contributing to David Goldberg's death; reports are that he slipped and fell using a treadmill at a Four Seasons resort in Mexico. The dangers of treadmills and possible distraction from smart phones are mentioned.

The overlooked elephant in the room that is this: he died in the third world (less developed if you prefer). Would he have survived if he suffered the same injury in a country with first world infrastructure? I'm not just talking critical EMS services, but hospitals, building codes, availability of an AED (automated external defibrillator) and not to mention an attendant who could have intervened and called for help.

From a cursory search it appears there are some good hospitals in nearby Puerto Vallarta, but was there a neurosurgeon available? I found some pictures of the Four Seasons Punta Mita fitness center and it appears that the floor is tiled or linoleum. Heck, the budget Hampton Inn I stay in has rubber flooring in the fitness room. If I fell backward from a treadmill there I'm fairly confident my head would bounce like the hand weights I drop and that I would survive. The pictures of the Four Season Punta Mita fitness room (I have not stayed there) show a sign in sheet which implies that guests are unsupervised. Reports are that he was out of contact for up to several hours and his brother found him, not a resort staff.

Granted the biggest risk in those settings is from traffic and you do what you can to mitigate risk and or insure yourself but the infrastructure and hotel management practices are different.

Has anyone asked them self: "if that can happen to a wealthy traveler, what kind of risk do I undertake in less developed countries?" And, this happened in a luxury resort in a (presumably) developed part of Mexico.

Jim
Old May 5, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There are reasonable hospitals around PVR. it sounds like this was just too late, as he may have been down and hemorrhaging for a couple of hours.

If the same thing happened in Menlo Park, and he had been rushed to Stanford, might he have survived? Maybe, maybe not. I think his time down before discovery was likely the most decisive factor. From the story, a defibrillator wasn't needed, he still had vitals when he reached the hospital.

Sad story.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/05..._r=0&referrer=
near the Four Seasons Resort in Punta Mita, a large development with two hotels and numerous private residences close to Puerto Vallarta in southwest Mexico, according to a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office in Nayarit State.

general manager of the Four Seasons Punta Mita, said in a phone interview that there had not been any incident at the areas of the resort managed by the company.
http://press.fourseasons.com/puntami...dia-statement/
Four Seasons would like to clarify that, contrary to some media reports, the tragedy did not take place at Four Seasons Resort Punta Mita. Mr. Goldberg was not a registered guest at our resort, villas or residences. As the tragedy did not take place on our property, nor was Mr. Goldberg a guest, we are not in a position to comment further.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 5, 2015 at 7:51 pm
Old May 5, 2015, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Cool

A lot of that sounds like CYA by the management. We'll see what percolates out in the end.

Bottom line is, any one of us could die in a stupid random accident at any time. He could have been on a treadmill at home alone and had the same thing happen.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
There are good hospitals in Puerto Vallarta as well as nearby Guadalajara via an air ambulance. It sounds like, in this case, same thing could have happened at his home in California. One of those sad accidents that don't make sense and it's difficult to believe someone lost their life to that when you hear of people surviving after getting shot in the chest five times.

I wouldn't be concerned about quality of care or availability unless I had a known condition or a high risk pregnancy. Of course, in that case, the sensible option would be to avoid travel to countries wit both adequate healthcare.

For most it wouldn't be an issue especially if insured -in an emergency, you can just be stabilized and flown to the U.S.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
He wasn't staying at the Four Seasons but a giant villa down the beach from the hotel that had its own fitness center.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Bottom line is, any one of us could die in a stupid random accident at any time. He could have been on a treadmill at home alone and had the same thing happen.
True but your chances are way better if you are somewhere you can benefit from a more developed "chain of survival."

Jim
Old May 5, 2015, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by jimquan
True but your chances are way better if you are somewhere you can benefit from a more developed "chain of survival."

Jim
Again, I think the critical point in this was the amount of time between the accident and when he was discovered. It may well have been too late even if he was a mile from a great US trauma center.

In general, are you more likely to survive an event in a place where there is top of the line medical care? Of course. But then you'd spend your life never going further than a couple of miles from a major hospital.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://nypost.com/2015/05/05/david-g...ll-here-hotel/
The local prosecutor’s office then claimed that the accident happened inside a workout room in the Palmasola, which they thought was owned by the Toronto-based resort.

“I am able to confirm that the tragedy did not occur on-site at Four Seasons and that Mr. Goldberg was not in the Four Seasons gym.”
its not the hotel, its the mexican government source clarifying their comments

btw hotel is owned by bill gates, and four seasons management company is half owned by bill gates

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...david-goldberg
Goldberg was staying in Mexico with family at an independently owned villa called Palmasola, which features a gym.

Goldberg never entered the main gym at the Four Seasons, which keeps a record of all users, said resort manager John O'Sullivan.
http://www.palmasola.net/details.htm
Fitness Center
Elliptical trainer, Treadmill, Hand weights, Workout Bench and exercise mats.
accidents happen in homes all the time

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 5, 2015 at 7:58 pm
Old May 5, 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by jimquan

Jim
Yup.......you gain some things, and you lose some things. It's up to you to decide if you believe the risks (of something going wrong) are greater than the rewards (that you get from visiting/vacationing there.)

Since I don't have any particular risk factors for problems and I don't participate in high-risk sports/activities, I think the risks are pretty minor and the rewards are most likely much greater. So I won't avoid developing countries because of the less developed "chain of survival" that might be there.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone who is single who has a treadmill at home...
Old May 5, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone who is single who has a treadmill at home...
???
Old May 5, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
???
goldberg was using a treadmill in a house
Old May 5, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I know a lot of people don't use the emergency straps, but they should. As for home, there is padded drywall behind our treadmill and the space uses rubber mats.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

Maybe it was murder. Somebody clubbed him with a dumbbell. They found him still conscious but I never heard them say he told them what happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.