Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

so why does the hotel keep canceling my keycards?

so why does the hotel keep canceling my keycards?

Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I suspect they are renting the room out by the hour or committing personal hanky-panky there while you are out. They clear out in the time it takes you to go back to the desk to get your keys refreshed. Try listening at the door.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I keep mine in my wallet, which is in my front left pocket. My cell phone is in my right front pocket.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I usually just put them in my wallet. One or twice a year, one gets demagnetized. But it doesn't happen often enough to force me to change my behavior.

If it ever happened twice in one stay, I suppose I'd go to a different pocket for the card.
My experience as well.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I suspect they are renting the room out by the hour or committing personal hanky-panky there while you are out. They clear out in the time it takes you to go back to the desk to get your keys refreshed. Try listening at the door.
This is my supposition as well.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What else could it be? This must be it!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Very fast action!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
You do know it is very easy for hotel room cards to be programmed to stop working after a certain time period. Most people get to stay the night. You, on the other hand........................

It's obvious to me that they've been following your posts here, so they know who you really are. This is their not so subtle way of letting you know you are persona non grata.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:52 am

Maybe this?

"At the front desk, I am a god of instant karma, and one of my other weapons is the "key bomb": When I check you in, I program a single "initial key," then start over and cut a second "initial key." Either one of them will work when you get to the room. Slide one in; you get the green light, and as long as you keep using the very first key you slipped in, all will be well. But chances are you'll pop in the second key at some point, and then the first key you used will be considered, as far as the dumb-... lock is concerned, invalid. At some point after that, you will be locked outside your room, jamming your first key into the slot, fighting that damn red light."

More at this link: http://lifehacker.com/5972701/confes...-hotel-insider
Old May 3, 2015, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by 53flyer
"At the front desk, I am a god of instant karma, and one of my other weapons is the "key bomb": When I check you in, I program a single "initial key," then start over and cut a second "initial key." Either one of them will work when you get to the room. Slide one in; you get the green light, and as long as you keep using the very first key you slipped in, all will be well. But chances are you'll pop in the second key at some point, and then the first key you used will be considered, as far as the dumb-... lock is concerned, invalid. At some point after that, you will be locked outside your room, jamming your first key into the slot, fighting that damn red light."

More at this link: http://lifehacker.com/5972701/confes...-hotel-insider
Or you share a room with a co-worker and arrive at different times. You get there first and then they give them an initial key when they arrive later. When you go to the desk, they will give you another initial key. Hopefully the cycle breaks before someone is smothered with a pillow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.