Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

My interview in "The Best Travelled"-Magazine

My interview in "The Best Travelled"-Magazine

Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
I liked the interview and it actually made me think a bit more about traveling to dangerous places. I have read about several different men online that do this, but wondering how much harder it would be for a woman.

I have a hard time even finding information about business protocols for women in some countries, much less travel to places where it might not be considered safe.

And yes, I do country collecting too, but so far haven't been to anywhere too dangerous. I don't really plan on doing it, but wonder when my country collecting interest will stop... and when I run out of safe countries, what will I do?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
he's drumming up attention to promote his book, which i thought is against forum policy?
his posts have always been along these lines. (i think he would feel at home in OMNI/PR.) his book is new.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL,EK
"Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue View Post
Travel warnings against Sudan, parts of Caucasus, North Korea, Iran, North Iraq, etc. are purely political. These places are well worth visiting - and much safer for travel than the US."

Originally Posted by BearX220
Sure they are.
I have been to Sudan and felt safer walking around everywhere from Khartoum to small villages than I do in most US inner cities. I walked late at night around Khartoum and felt totally safe. Of the above list, I have been to all but Iraq and felt safe everywhere except a few places in the Caucasus.

Have you ever been to Iran or Sudan?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I've lived and worked in the USA. I've also lived and worked in Somalia. I travel periodically to Iraq and have spent plenty of time "on the ground" in conflict zones.

Last year, I had 2 friends killed and 7 others injured in Somalia while just going about their daily lives. I had another friend escape Mosul while firing his AK47 out of the bed of a pickup truck as ISIS came over the wall of the airport. My colleagues in Kabul and Juba had a fairly easy year relatively.

If you think for one second that any of those places are "safer" than the USA (or indeed pretty much any country that isn't in an active warzone), you are flat out delusional.

Some of the stuff you have claimed to have done is naive to the extreme...
It would be tragic if some impressionable soul read this person's work, concluded that northern Iraq is a more inviting and "safe" travel destination than San Diego or Buffalo, and met terrible consequences. This material ought to come with red warning stickers all over it. It's deeply irresponsible to disseminate stuff like this.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
No, all that proves is that you are taking a breezy, ethnocentric approach to understanding the situation in other countries (specifically, here, the US) by seizing on a hot, politicized issue and congratulating yourself after attempting only the most cursory understanding of it...

You are demonstrating exactly the kind of ethnocentric, short-attention-span foolishness you've been railing against.
And let's not get started on the condescension, etc. Oh, well, if you had my superior perspective... oh, brother. If you had my perspective -- my brother was killed on military duty -- you might think again about inviting tenderfoot civilians to go swan about the world's worst places.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I just hope we don't wind up seeing you on TV in an orange jumpsuit anytime soon.
One question - should governments rescue their citizens if those citizens travelled at the danger zones by their own risk despite repeatedly being warned not to do so?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Spare me with a description what the US are.

This is ethnocentrism according to Wikipedia:

Ethnocentrism is judging another culture solely by the values and standards of one's own culture. Ethnocentric individuals judge other groups relative to their own ethnic group or culture, especially with concern for language, behavior, customs, and religion. These ethnic distinctions and subdivisions serve to define each ethnicity's unique cultural identity.

http://killedbypolice.net/

Studied at UCLA in the better old days. And won two lawsuits against formerly Forbes richest man (US). I probably know it better than you Now simply too uninspiring ("dumbed down").

Enough "frontline" for my taste:

Security Forces (Peshmerga) will not allow you to drive into Mossul (sneak-in by local transport is possible)

That's exactly what I'm saying, but compare it with the official US travel warning: http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...l-warning.html

... the threat to the Iraqi Kurdistan Region (IKR) increased considerably with the advance of ISIL towards Kurdish areas. ... U.S. citizens should avoid areas near the Syrian, Turkish, or Iranian borders, which are especially dangerous and not always clearly defined. The Governments of Turkey and Iran continue to carry out military operations against insurgent groups in the mountain regions bordering Iraq. These operations have included troop movements and both aerial and artillery bombardments. Extensive unmarked minefields also remain along these borders. Border skirmishes with smugglers have become commonplace. Unrest in Syria has resulted in large numbers of people seeking refuge in the area. Iranian authorities previously detained, for an extended period, U.S. citizens who were hiking in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region (IKR) in the vicinity of the Iranian border. The resources available to the U.S. Embassy to assist U.S. citizens who venture close to or cross the border with Iran are extremely limited. The Department of State discourages travel in close proximity to the Iranian border. ...
You're showing your own narrow minded bias if you believe the USA is one solitary, monolithic culture. While there are some predominant values, there are so many variations, subgroups, subcultures, ethnicities, etc.

I won't repeat the posters upthread who have pointed out the erroneous reliance on raw numbers statistics. But also, homicide rates alone are not the only factor in the safety of a country. For that matter, the homicide rate in a given city and even certain neighborhoods isn't applicable across an entire country - whether in the US or anywhere. Perhaps it's a sign of a narrow bias that someone believes otherwise.

Again, your whirl-wind drive through Kurdistan and not within any ISIS territory or on the other site of the immediate fighting, doesn't answer the poster who inquired about exactly what your experience was in ISIS territory - which is none. So you have a photo in front of a sign for a refuge camp in Suruc, Turkey - safely behind the Turkish border. Yet your blog title tries to lead the reader believe you traveled "along the ISIS front".

What do government travel advisories have to do with anything? They are known to be overly conservative in most cases. The US warning isn't unlike many others.

what is best about whizzing by 17 countries in 13 days.

how can you "describe things the way they really are" spending less than one night in a place.

what aspects of war conditions can you debunk when you actively avoid them, whether by intention or by impermissibility.

strange self-promotion.
Well, I guess it allows someone to be able to publish a book crowing that they have been everywhere and to pour condescension on the poor sheeple who don't know anything about the real world

he's drumming up attention to promote his book, which i thought is against forum policy?
I thought so, too.

Last edited by 84fiero; Apr 25, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:53 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DesertNomad

Have you ever been to Iran or Sudan?
I know you're not responding to me, but those countries are very high on my list.

In any event, aren't traffic accidents the biggest issue in Iran? As for Sudan, my biggest fear would be heat exhaustion...but starting every morning with a plate of ful sounds brilliant.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:01 am

there is indeed lots of good technical info on FT, but when the territory becomes 'rougher' (= political), the mainstream propaganda stereotypes prevail in this forum

-> which leads to wrongful impressions, opinions and decisions about (travel to) those 'rougher' countries

Examples:

* nowadays there is much more personal freedom in Russia, than in the US (incl. gay interests)
I spent three years in Russia from 2011 to 2014 and the quote above is just so wrong I can't believe anyone dares to say this. LGBT condition in Russia is sad, saying loud that your sexual orientation is different clearly puts your life in danger, this is the real situation.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hopingtofly
Did you have much interaction with the people living there? What do they make of all this?
Certainly I interact (even on this forum ), usually on the higher level (see my 1st blog page, scroll down), and in repeated visits. What do the locals make of it? North Iraqis are among the very few who are happy with the US.

Last year, I had 2 friends killed and 7 others injured in Somalia while just going about their daily lives. I had another friend escape Mosul while firing his AK47 out of the bed of a pickup truck as ISIS came over the wall of the airport. My colleagues in Kabul and Juba had a fairly easy year relatively.
I assume your friends were there to kill local lives or livelihoods? They should better have visited unarmed, as friendly travelers.

I just hope we don't wind up seeing you on TV in an orange jumpsuit anytime soon.
Thanks for reminding us that Guantanamo is still open. Funny that "ISIS" is using the same jumpsuit supplier ...

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Oh, please, I first studied "How To Lie With Statistics" in high school math. You are engaging in the classic fallacy of presenting total count numbers when the only rationally meaningful figures in this context are rates.
You should have taken your talent to university then you would have come up with my figures. The only "meaningful thing" in this context is visiting on the ground for yourself.

You didn't even read to the end of my interview. Most people nowadays don't reach the end of a twitter post. When was the last time you bought a book? And then in German? hahaha

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I liked the interview and it actually made me think a bit more about traveling to dangerous places. I have read about several different men online that do this, but wondering how much harder it would be for a woman.

I have a hard time even finding information about business protocols for women in some countries, much less travel to places where it might not be considered safe.

And yes, I do country collecting too, but so far haven't been to anywhere too dangerous. I don't really plan on doing it, but wonder when my country collecting interest will stop... and when I run out of safe countries, what will I do?
I always found it impressive to meet solo lady travelers in difficult places. Although I have no qualified answer on protocol for women, I think that my concept of a strong "Habitus" (combination of sovereign dress and composure) and "Preparation" and "Local Contacts" is unisex. It avoids showing weakness, and becoming a victim. Good luck ^

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I have been to Sudan and felt safer walking around everywhere from Khartoum to small villages than I do in most US inner cities. I walked late at night around Khartoum and felt totally safe. Of the above list, I have been to all but Iraq and felt safe everywhere except a few places in the Caucasus. Have you ever been to Iran or Sudan?
Been several times to Iran and Sudan. Agree on all, incl. Caucasus (Dagestan is still a bit wild).

Originally Posted by BearX220
If you had my perspective -- my brother was killed on military duty -- you might think again about inviting tenderfoot civilians to go swan about the world's worst places.
At least, tenderfoot civilians don't kill other foreign civilians. Your military "duty" does. You should seriously work on your perspective!

Originally Posted by invisible
One question - should governments rescue their citizens if those citizens travelled at the danger zones by their own risk despite repeatedly being warned not to do so?
Oh, is there no allocation in the US$ 786 billion ++ annual military budget for rescuing its citizens? All the money only for killing? Oh yes, wait a minute, last week in Yemen several hundred US citizens were deliberately abandondend by their own US government (and rescued by the ??? Russians !!!) Probably you didn't hear that on your Mainstream News channel

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
In any event, aren't traffic accidents the biggest issue in Iran?
Nr. 1 cause of unnatural death in almost every country. Iran has excellent infrastructure, but cars are relatively weak Chinese, Romanian, French models.

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
I spent three years in Russia from 2011 to 2014 and the quote above is just so wrong I can't believe anyone dares to say this. LGBT condition in Russia is sad, saying loud that your sexual orientation is different clearly puts your life in danger, this is the real situation.
Don't become hysteric. Attitudes in Russia are the same as more or less everywhere. Your double standards suck: you rave about Amanhotels in Utah and Wyoming (with tough sodomy laws) yet you bash Russia (where everything is legal, except public display to minors). The scene in Russia is active. Maybe you were too loud?

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Well, I guess it allows someone ... to pour condescension on the poor sheeple who don't know anything about the real world
^
To the above sceptics and critiques: I am happy to invite you to my next Extreme Traveler International Congress www.ETIC.club (even if you don't qualify). PM me. The next event is planned for Gaza. The last one in Grozny was a great success.

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; Apr 26, 2015 at 3:00 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:14 am

Don't become hysteric. Attitudes in Russia are the same as more or less everywhere. Your double standards suck: you rave about Amanhotels in Utah and Wyoming (with tough sodomy laws) yet you bash Russia (where everything is legal, except public display to minors). The scene in Russia is active. Maybe you were too loud?
1) I don't remember having written any comments about Amangiri and Amangani. Actually I have never stayed at any of these properties so please check old posts before making assumptions.
2) Saying that 'everything is legal' when speaking about LGBT issues in Russia demonstrates either that you don't know anything about what you say or worse that you are willingly writing wrong informations.
3) How can you say that 'the scene [...] is active'? The scene is dying in Moscow and St Pertesburg. And I don't even speak about smaller cities. I went to a lesbian club once (only LGBT club in the city where I was living) shortly before it was attacked and people there were badly injured.

Please keep on entertaining us with your passion for men in uniforms and big guns. Staying in luxury properties and flirting with danger does not mean you know the country you are visiting. I cannot understand why you are so rude to me when I just insist that your comments about freedom in Russia are deadly wrong.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

1) I don't remember having written any comments about Amangiri and Amangani. Actually I have never stayed at any of these properties so please check old posts before making assumptions.
2) Saying that 'everything is legal' when speaking about LGBT issues in Russia demonstrates either that you don't know anything about what you say or worse that you are willingly writing wrong informations.
3) How can you say that 'the scene [...] is active'? The scene is dying in Moscow and St Pertesburg. And I don't even speak about smaller cities. I went to a lesbian club once (only LGBT club in the city where I was living) shortly before it was attacked and people there were badly injured.

Please keep on entertaining us with your passion for men in uniforms and big guns. Staying in luxury properties and flirting with danger does not mean you know the country you are visiting. I cannot understand why you are so rude to me when I just insist that your comments about freedom in Russia are deadly wrong.
I'll let other readers decide what is wrong with your comments:

I spent three days early August with a straight friend in Moscow, we had a great time. Security was never an issue. We stayed at Ritz-Carlton, a 5-minute walk from Red Square. We do not speak Russian but we have done everything on our own, without a guide. It was as simple as in any part of the world. Underground is easy to understand, otherwise we always took hotel cars, except when coming back from Imperia Lounge, a famous Moscow club (we took an unofficial cab, we knew the price was crazy so we negociated but it was still a bit expensive). We saw plenty of gay couples everywhere.
I have been living in Russia for 2 years now, and I confirm homophobia is very common here. Surprisingly enough, last time I went to Moscow with a friend I was asked at the reception of our hotel if we wanted a king bed or twin beds. But it is the only positive example I have in mind.
GrindR is quiet in Moscow, Hornet is a littler bit busier.
I would avoid any gay bar/club these days.
I May go to Moscow for a weekend at the end of the month, why not trying this one. But when you say that it is targeting domestic market, businessmen, and wives/girlfriends I am not sure I will like the atmosphere and interactions with other clients especially as a gay couple lol. I will probably stick to the Ritz Carlton.

"Happy the people whose annals are tiresome" Montesqieu
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:44 am

I assume your friends were there to kill local lives or livelihoods? They should better have visited unarmed, as friendly travelers.
You assume incorrectly. Most of the friends I refer to were actually local Somalis, but there were also some expats involved - one was a manager with Turkish Airlines and the other was a housekeeper for a foreign Embassy. Neither was there to "kill local lives or livelihoods".

You seem to enjoy making smart alec quips and pretending to hold some sort of moral high ground. That may earn you brownie points with a few people. The rest consider you a bit of a buffoon.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:07 am

This is hilarious. Time goes fast you know? What was correct 3 or 4 years ago is not accurate anymore and all I said showed the increasing danger for LGBT people. It was still interesting to read some old comments, hope you enjoyed the research work in my annals.

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Apr 26, 2015 at 7:14 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
You assume incorrectly. Most of the friends I refer to were actually local Somalis, but there were also some expats involved - one was a manager with Turkish Airlines and the other was a housekeeper for a foreign Embassy. Neither was there to "kill local lives or livelihoods".

You seem to enjoy making smart alec quips and pretending to hold some sort of moral high ground. That may earn you brownie points with a few people. The rest consider you a bit of a buffoon.
Didn't know which post to respond to. You won the lottery.

I agree with you almost completely. I would remove the phrase "bit of". The whole conversation reminds me of the 3 Berkeley Boobs that went hiking in Iraq on the Iranian border and got arrested when they wandered into Iran. These kids were simply trying to "prove something" about how adventurous they are. Cost their family and the government millions to get them out.

If there is someplace you want to go and decide to ignore the dangers, fine. But the whole notion of going somewhere specifically because it's dangerous is not the brightest notion, IMO.

As far as trying to compare the dangers to an American inner city.... I lived 6 years in Angola. Among other things we had a Kevlar blanket in our rooms. And we had to use it. Even Chicago or Oakland aren't that dangerous.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Last word.

Don't have yourself photographed in some back-country shooting gallery in a bespoke blazer and perfectly folded pocket square -- where's the champagne flute? -- and then lecture this community about the flaws in its "worldview."

Posters like this are why we have the "Ignore" button.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.