Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

You can view the results by clicking here

After reviewing the results, please also take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:58 am

Having complete strangers feel the need to stand so close to me in line for security, waiting to board, during boarding, etc that they are TOUCHING ME. There are like x number of people in front of me so we cannot go any faster! I find this happens much more outside of the Canada and the US.

Strangers in the seat next to me who feel the need to take up waaay more than a normal amount of personal space so their leg encroaches onto my seat and touches my body.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Vecturist14
2) People who don't know moving sidewalk etiquette and completely block the width with their bags
Worse are the one who stepped off the moving sidewalk or escalator and stand there not knowing where to go. I had a few incident where I was forced off escalator and moving sidewalk smack into someone standing there.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves?

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves?
People who have the temerity to be in line in front of me really tick me off.

Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
gate lice!

Wait until you are called.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by jhartley15
Strangers in the seat next to me who feel the need to take up waaay more than a normal amount of personal space so their leg encroaches onto my seat and touches my body.
aka "manspread"

Though not sure that this is "pre-flight" except when it's being established preemptively.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Vecturist14
4) People who aren't really conscious of how much space their rolling bag takes up when walking or in line.
Or backpacks! I've nearly been squashed when someone decides to turn around or take a step backward and their backpack (which is the size of a small automobile) pins me against a wall.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Firewind
aka "manspread"

Though not sure that this is "pre-flight" except when it's being established preemptively.

Even though a lot of boarding area seating is actually pretty good about having a big footprint for each passenger and their mountain of cabin baggage, there are still guys who try to manspread there.

They're also the same guys who grab a seat next to an electrical outlet area and then militantly don't charge any personal electronic devices there.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Even though a lot of boarding area seating is actually pretty good about having a big footprint for each passenger and their mountain of cabin baggage, there are still guys who try to manspread there.

They're also the same guys who grab a seat next to an electrical outlet area and then militantly don't charge any personal electronic devices there.
1) I was focused on the onboard experience and didn't think of this.

2) +1
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
boarding flights when they seize drinks, refusing to allow you to board with a coffee you purchased five ft away.
ppl who push in front of you advancing to the boarding agent, even if you are in lane 1 and they are in lane 3/4, when you arrive after the rest of lane 1 has boarded.
ppl who try and go through scanners with change in their pockets, metal boot tips and other items, acting surprised when they hold up the line.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:32 pm

gate announcements about boarding procedures and calls that nobody can hear/understand......can u repeat it, or display boarding zone # on a monitor or something?

And then change it accordingly. How many times had general boarding unofficially started already yet there was no accouncement made at all......
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:39 pm

Poll should be *aside from TSA* because we all know what will be #1.

My biggest irritant is the DYKWIAs or other jerks that are determined to share their misery with others.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by hvprasad
My only peeve is when LH flight FRA - BLR makes announcements in three languages. English, German and the local language Kannada. The announcements seem never ending.
I think its a legal requirement- English, operator's language, local language.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Where to begin?

1. TSA - Nuff' said.
2. Parking prices - I realize this is how many airports get direct revenue, but some of these airports charge ridiculous prices to the point we just park off site and grab a shuttle over.
3. Taking off shoes at security - Come on, it's 2015, I think we have technology in place where we can still where our shoes and they can see if anything foreign is inside of them.
4. Dirty restrooms - If some airports can constantly clean their restrooms, there is no excuse for others not to.
5. Kids running all over the place - an airport is not the place to have your kids running all over the place. I can't tell you how many kids I have almost tripped over trying to make a tight connection
6. Families with teens only boarding with the "Families with small children" boarding group - Seriously?
7. Gate Lice - I understand airlines are charging extra for luggage and you don't want to part with it, but do we really need to stand right in front of the entrance to the line when you are in the last boarding group?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Usually I just "suck it up" but I would definitely be happier if these things were eliminated.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I forgot one - the prices in some airports for things like a piece of fruit or a bottle of water (I'm looking at you, LAX) I understand making a profit, but not charging an arm and a leg - like $8 for a bottle of water that would maybe $1.50 at the grocery store.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mats
The VERY FULL flight is like a stressed-out high school teacher who starts off each lesson with, "We have a LOT to cover today." It begins the lesson on the most stressful and least relevant point. It also makes it sound as if you've done something wrong: you chose the full flight or the heavily loaded syllabus, and it's your fault.
Hearing about a "very full flight" always makes me wonder how much fuller it is compared to one that's merely full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.