Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

You can view the results by clicking here

After reviewing the results, please also take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
-I will say communication, but with a note about United. I don't love everything they do, but they do text me and email me the second there are delays. I fly other SA frequently because I like their food/lounges/services more, but none communicates as well as United.
So true. And usually before the PA announcement. Gives the feeling of clairvoyance. ^
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Cool

Hmmm... It's easy to vote early and often.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Just thought of two more:

- Airports that don't have any food outside of security. (Did I say food? I really meant beer) Shouldn't there be at least a few decent restaurants for the people who are waiting for someone to pick them up?

-Airports that don't have easy drop off or pick-up spots outside of the airport. SO sick of getting in fights with ORD staff telling my husband to move along. I completely ignore and tell them that there shouldn't be an airport without a decent pick-up area.

Yes I am complaining about ORD on both counts and MDW on the beer one.. but I'm sure that there are a lot of other airports that have these issues.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
-Airports that don't have easy drop off or pick-up spots outside of the airport. SO sick of getting in fights with ORD staff telling my husband to move along. I completely ignore and tell them that there shouldn't be an airport without a decent pick-up area.
This is a TSA rule- only inconveniently located stop and drop traffic within X number of feet of the terminal building now. That policy sadly killed the semi-secret 10 minute free parking lot that had been literally adjacent to baggage claim at my local podunk airport.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar

Gone are the days when we'd go up to ORD to pick up incoming family and just camp out and wait there on the ring road, or even leave the car and go in to check the monitors, etc. I think once I parked there for over an hour waiting for my brother. This was long before the internets and cell phones so there wasn't much to do besides go and check the monitors.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
A minor peeve, but a peeve nonetheless: when there are long lapses in the parking or rental shuttles. I once waited at long-term parking at MDW for nearly an hour, then once the bus finally arrived, we passed another half-dozen or so in rapid succession on our way to the terminal. I think maybe one bus must have had an issue of some sort and the others weren't alowed to "run around" the disabled bus.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:15 pm

Just thought of two more:

- Airports that don't have any food outside of security. (Did I say food? I really meant beer) Shouldn't there be at least a few decent restaurants for the people who are waiting for someone to pick them up?

Yes I am complaining about ORD on both counts and MDW on the beer one.. but I'm sure that there are a lot of other airports that have these issues.
1) ...a distinction without a difference. Isn't beer one of the main food groups?

2) And do ORD and MDW have cell phone lots?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by KDS
1. TSA.
2. TSA.
3. TSA.
4. TSA.
5. TSA.
6. Constant PA announcements about "regulations requiring me to control my bags" and "regulations control what you can take onto an airplane" and "regulations require only ticketed passengers beyond security", etc. etc.
7. Wandering passengers on cell phones who drift back and forth in front of and to the side of you, making walking hazardous.
8. Parents who allow their toddlers to drift back and forth in front of and to the side of you, making walking hazardous.
9. TSA.
10. TSA.
11. TSA.
12. TSA.
13. TSA.
14. TSA.
15. TSA.
thank you for mentioning #6, it's so unnecessary and tries to create fear and intimidate people into any submission even when regulations are not in "effect".
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:39 pm

Again, you can repeat this poll as many times as you want.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
When the gate agent is boarding first class or zone 1 or something and 20 people rush up to board that are in like zone 5, and act like they had no idea. Get your arse back to the back of the line and pay attention.

The unnecessarily rude FA's. If you are stressed and hate your job, find a new one.

The standby person who is like number 14 on the list and yet runs up to the agents desk and tries to weasel there way to a seat assignment before the other rightful people ahead in the priority.

Lastly, the person who freaks out and feels entitled because they have a "tight" connection... tight in their minds being one hour at a medium sized airport like CLT.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:44 am

When Pre-Check is CLOSED - why did I give you my money and fingerprints again?

Huge families/groups who have to pass through the metal detector 5 times each because they forgot their cell phone, coins, belt, etc on their person.

Cars that think it's ok to park at the curb, put on their flashers, and just hang out while waiting to pick someone up. At my home airport LAX - the arrivals curb is becoming a huge parking lot as cars are getting ballsy - and I've caught airport police inside at Starbucks while their vehicles are also blocking traffic.

The ongoing battle over rideshare services at LAX. Uber/Lyft have been banned, supposedly to resume service in the summer. Cabbies are super rude and ungrateful - can't wait for rideshare to come back.

Anyone with BO, perfume, loud iPad/device gaming, screaming children, visibly gross bare feet onboard

People screaming into their cell phones at the gate

Spirit Air all the time

Southwest most of the time

Airlines that try to blame the delay on weather, airport delays, passengers, the will of God - just own up to it!
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH Senator, SQ PPS, EK Gold
My only peeve is when LH flight FRA - BLR makes announcements in three languages. English, German and the local language Kannada. The announcements seem never ending.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The lack of easily accessible play spaces in many airports. I want other peoples' kids good and tired out before they're stuck next to me on a plane.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, HHonors Gold
1. Charging for a luggage trolley - I know there is a cost involved in buying trolleys and moving them around an airport, but it is really grating having to pay up to £2 to use a trolley to move your cases all of 200 yards on those occasions when you do not have enough hands.

2. Charging for drop off parking - Prior to the Glasgow incident in the UK a few years ago, you could drive up to the terminal and drop people off right outside. A terrorist incident stopped all this, and while I think this is an unnecessary knee jerk reaction (I can still drive right outside a mainline train station) I can live with it, but charging me for the privilege of dropping someone off at the airport, or picking them up is frankly ridiculous.

3. Liquid ban - No liquids? Seriously? I can take whatever I want on an intercity train with over 400 people on board, but no liquids through airport security. This is a good example of terrorists winning. You do not have to have blown up a plane to have been successful, this prolonged disruption to everyone travelling by air must be beyond the wildest dreams of anyone attacking airlines.

4. Airport shopping - In the UK I have to snake my way through an extended shop on the way to the terminal, bumping into distracted shoppers on the way. It's 0600, I'm tired and grumpy and just want to get on my flight, not buy 2 litres of whiskey and a bottle of aftershave, or walk past all this rubbish getting asked to try something.

5. Let me think about it, I need a cup of tea to calm down after coming up with all the above.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Gold
1) TSA
2) People who don't know moving sidewalk etiquette and completely block the width with their bags
3) Especially when it's crowded people who have to suddenly stop and check their phone
4) People who aren't really conscious of how much space their rolling bag takes up when walking or in line.
5) People who take up 3-4 seats with their bags in the gate area

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.