Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

You can view the results by clicking here

After reviewing the results, please also take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 6:04 am

this hasn't happened to me in a while:

FAs who fill more than 50% of the overhead space in F with their baggage.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
- no online check-in option

- no separate check-in line for no check-in luggage/priority status

- immigration officers who stamp passports inconsiderately

- all the Chinese pax on flights departing from ICN (and also other airports) who have so much duty-free carry-on bags that you think they were for free and not just duty-free! I have actually been seated once in the last row with tons of these bags stacked on the empty seats around me since they wouldn't fit in the overhead bins and god forbid that they take up the legroom of their owners. Too bad for me if there's an accident and I die from being hit by some random flying bag.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:29 pm

Biggest Pet Peeve

My biggest pet peeve are the wannabees who think that they can just push that stroller right down to the plane door..then slowly..ever so slowly take the baby and the baby bags and the carry on and the roll a board and the knapsack and the drinks to the aisle of the bulkhead..then take 10 minutes to stow it all in three overhead bins while the rest of us seethe and find their bags over my seat. Oh no we don't...your extra bags are going in your laps thank you
Old May 15, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by berrythekid
At LAX, rental cars are dirt cheap. You can Priceline a car from one of 5 major companies for under $15/day sometimes. My best score was $7/day. To me it's worth being "in control of my own destiny" rather than relying on airport shuttles, taxis, buses, etc, which can be pretty unreliable.
LAX has very high car rental airport taxes and surcharges, often negating the dirt cheap rental prices. The city bus costs me $1.75 to get from LAX to my second home in LA. I already have my own car at the home so have no need for a rental car while I'm in LA.

Yesterday I left the home at 9:30am and after two city buses and the Lot C shuttle I was at Terminal 7 by around 11:15am. Friends think I'm crazy to do it that way but it was only $1.75 and I have the time to do it. It's still stressful, however, as anything can go wrong. But with Uber as an option at any point some of the stress has been reduced. I've used Uber twice when connections did not work as planned.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:33 am

I didn't read through them all, but here are couple more (including during and post flight) some of which I'm sure are already listed.:

1. Passengers who are vapidly clueless blocking the aisles for a whole minute or 2 when trying to stow carry-ons - often in upper class seating and sometimes in economy.

2. Airline attendants who block the door to give useless PA announcements or chit chat with the ramp agent for the first minute or so instead of quickly allowing riders to deplane immediately.

3. Pilots who allow turbulence to go on and on and on without changing flight characteristics.

4. Overbearing flight attendants who get off on nagging you.

5. Riders who bring oversize carry-ons and then damage the compartment trying to make their luggage fit.

6. Parents who do absolutely nothing about unruly children or screaming babies.

7. Demented or disgusting passengers who do not clean up after themselves in the lavatories

8.Passengers who drag their carryon down the aisle banging into everything and sloth-like.
Old May 17, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by airplanegod
3. Taking off shoes at security - Come on, it's 2015, I think we have technology in place where we can still where our shoes and they can see if anything foreign is inside of them.
Nope. Not yet. There have been some field tests of technology to scan shoes while they are still being worn but nothing reliable has been put into service.

Originally Posted by berrythekid
The annoying part is that apparently not all airport metal detectors are the same. A belt that gets thru MIA doesnt get thru BOS. Shoes have no problem at LAS but beep beep beep at LAX. The whole thing is just silly. Isn't metal...metal?
The metal detectors are the same but the location in which they are installed is not. Different materials in the floor, such as the rebar in the concrete, change the environment such that an indentical machine with identical calibration will perform differently.

Originally Posted by pc95
3. Pilots who allow turbulence to go on and on and on without changing flight characteristics.
We are always looking for a smoother ride. Often time there isn't a better ride at other altitudes or we can't get the smoother altitudes because we're too heavy to climb to them, other traffic is already there, or we don't have enough fuel to fly at a low enough altitude get the smoother ride.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:42 pm

Mine has always been passengers who spread out over the benches at the gates, either sleeping or spreading out their belongings. I get it, you're tired, your flight got delayed, or you're jet lagged. If you're going to sleep, at least do it somewhere isolated instead of across the only bench with power plugs underneath.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by spiah
Mine has always been passengers who spread out over the benches at the gates, either sleeping or spreading out their belongings. I get it, you're tired, your flight got delayed, or you're jet lagged. If you're going to sleep, at least do it somewhere isolated instead of across the only bench with power plugs underneath.
Yeah. Saw this 2 months ago. A guy sat next to her and was a "loud phone talker" using his headset. They both got pretty upset at each other. It was interesting to watch.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by spiah
Good one! We didn't think of it while preparing the poll but making a note for next year's!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

The results have been posted for this survey; and it also contains an interesting infographic.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:23 am

1. TSA, of course. While the majority of my experiences with them have been fine, the few that were rude/unreasonable stand out, and their whole existence is silly. Flying shouldn't require 3 hours in addition to the flight time.

2. Inconsiderate/Clueless people in general. Stopping at the top/bottom of an escalator, blocking the full moving walkway with your bags, wandering around on your cell phone. Pay attention to the world around you. We're all crowded here, and a little consideration makes it all better. This includes gate lice, people who need to shower more, people who need to dial down the bathtub of scent they are dipped in, etc.

3. I get that babies cry, especially those too young to understand the delays/noise/inconveniences. What annoys me are the parents that completely ignore them in a crowded area. For hours. Seriously. At least comfort the poor child. If I see you trying, I'm much less peeved.

4. The byzantine algorithms that has made it necessary for me (OCD that I am on some things) to check the airfare every day to find the best flight for my needs/budget. I still check it after I've bought the bloody flight, to see if I could have done better.

5. Luggage allowances. That people ignore them. That airlines don't enforce them. That every bloody airline has different ones. That they have weight allowances on carryons (if I can lift it overhead, I should be good. We're talking transatlantic jets, here, not puddle-jumpers!) Can we just have one system and done?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: SPG LTP, BA Silver, IHG Spire, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by tentseller
Worse are the one who stepped off the moving sidewalk or escalator and stand there not knowing where to go. I had a few incident where I was forced off escalator and moving sidewalk smack into someone standing there.
Just walk into them, taking care not to hurt yourself. Then apologise in an insincere way.

Makes me feel better, anyway.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by St Francis
Just walk into them, taking care not to hurt yourself. Then apologise in an insincere way.

Makes me feel better, anyway.
I have often ended up walking into them as there's nowhere else to go. They get the message soon enough. And, I wouldn't apologise but point out that they have blocked the exit to the escalator or travelator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.