Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Obsession with alcohol on board

Obsession with alcohol on board

Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Age chip, clothes chip and gender chip too, perhaps! (DYKWIA chip should definitely NOT be dropped, however.)

I find it amusing though to see people asking for two cans of beer (not just one) at a crack of dawn flight, like it's their standard breakfast - it might not be unreasonable to imagine they may have been out clubbing all night and came straight to the airport but they seem stone cold sober. For some reason this amuses me a great deal. I don't find it amusing with two bottles of champagne or even Baileys but two beers at 0630... yes. It's like "I need to wake my kidneys and liver up, right now!" Maybe I have a beer chip on my shoulder
I like to stick to the PM rule.

1159 - no alcohol, 1200 - perfectly fine.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
It sometimes difficult to get the consumption right. Hate it when you get cabin spin lol
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
so after CWS, I am the other FTer on here who doesn't drink. I do find it amusing to watch others enjoy the booze in the lounges and on board but I use the word 'amusing'. I try not to judge others too much these days.

I find the obsession with booze almost as 'fascinating' as some people's obsession on here with other people's behaviours, rumba (see your varies threads on "why do people need to use the loo straight after take off", "why do people use their phones in airports and when boarding", "why do others behave differently from me and not in line with how I think they should" etc etc etc etc etc etc).
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Surely it's Kronenbourgs?!
Kronenbags actually
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am a non drinker, I don't believe, given my age, it is possible to do my flying schedule, drink and have a healthy long retirement, something would have to give. So I'm among those whose shrewdly watches with detached amusement the mainlining of alcohol by all those around me. Good luck to them.

I well recall row 1 of LHR to NCL a few months back, Friday afternoon around 4pm. I was in 1C and was asked for my drink first: tea please. Then 1B, 1A also wanted tea or water. 1F, 1E the same, all were male. An clearly exasperated lady in 1D was finally asked for her drink and in desperation she also asked for tea. As the trolley moved off she said to me "well what sort of party was that?!" - she couldn't bring herself to be the only one to order alcohol.

Incidentally a bit like with non-smokers, if you don't drink yourself you do notice the smell of alcohol on others quite sharpish. Each to their own.
Similarly I reached a realisation that drinking, business and travel do not mix and gave up alcohol completely. Sadly it seems one of the few remaining features of what used to be a decent Business Class service on BA is semi-decent booze. As a non-drinker the options are really rather poor (e.g. how about a non-alcholic champagne in the First Lounge and a decent fruit juice offering onboard).

Thankfully I have rarely experienced behavioural problems with fellow passengers over-indulging. However I would much prefer that BA spend less on the booze and more on providing a decent meal on an 11 hour long-haul. I have found recent CW meal offerings to be an embarassment to the brand. An alcohol indulger can make up for a scrappy low-cost microwave meal by drinking 10 times the meal's value in booze. It's (almost) enough to drive one to drink!

Last edited by Elevate; Apr 8, 2015 at 3:45 am Reason: typos
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
I usually don't drink, but I admit, I take 2-3 glasses of champagne when in flight to be able to sleep. And that's it. I dont like "strong" alcohol so it dosn't matter!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I typically won't drink short/medium haul, and have 1 or 2 glasses on a long haul (3 if it involves something really excellent, like Comtes de Champagne or Salon!)

I agree with the OP that there are occasionally people who are not doing themselves proud when it comes to in flight drinking (and I personally would not associate it with any social background, age group, gender, etc. I have seen it from random sorts). I couldn't care less what people do with their lives, but planes being a confined environment, it sometimes lead to behaviour which may come across as obnoxious by fellow passengers (people who can become loud, angry, emit various body noises that one could do without, etc).

I'm against the proposed experiment (mostly because I prefer long term moderation to short term extremism, and partly because Lent is associated with a religion and I don't see what it has to do with it) but again would not be against a rule limiting alcoholic drinks to, say, 3 per passenger on a short/medium haul Y flight and 4-5 on a long haul Y. My sense is that 99% of passengers are below those limits, and the 1% who are not represent 100% of the problems that are being experienced.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Gosh, you really are an odd, judgemental lot on here sometimes!
Haha.. aren't we just!!

Seriously though, if you are in close proximity to someone, like you are in the endless queues and in the sardine can, you can smell if someone has had a significant amount of booze.

Equally, I don't drink Champagne at 10am most days but usually do when I fly. How's that for double standards?

I tend to have a drink because a) I enjoy it, b) it's 'free', and c) because I am going to be sat in a tin can for 7+ hours and know that I don't need to drive and I'm not going to work when I get there.

If I know that I have to drive or work on arrival, I lay off the booze.

Besides.. flying is still only public transport... there's plenty of people who have a tinny or two on the bus!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
I dont partake in Alcohol in the lounges or on board whatever class, though Mrs Tugg does like a Rose Champagne in the CCR
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rumbataz
I've noticed a lot more passengers who stink of booze prior to boarding the aircraft who then go on to drink as much alcohol as possible during the flight.

Surprisingly it's the more well-heeled and DYKWIA brigade that are the worst culprits - the kind who would look down upon Happy Hour at some chavvy urban nightclub. Yet, on board an aircraft, it's several Happy Hours for them.

So, what is the etiquette on consuming alcohol on board an aircraft without looking like an alcoholic who's trying to get as much free booze as possible before landing?
How do you know they are well-heeled and/or DYKWIA types?

I can't say I've ever noticed, but when I get on board, I try to settle down to do my own thing and not look to analyse others so perhaps I've just oblivious to it all.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
The OP may be exaggerating, but I get the feeling that alcohol is an important part of flying with BA for many FTers.

Thought experiment: imagine BA had removed all booze from lounges and aircraft for Lent, and was going to donate the money saved to Flying Start.

A good idea?
I'd be 100% supportive of this, though we should expand it to include all pagan holiday periods.

We'd undoubtedly get people saying they've changed their flight schedule to fit around this though
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
The OP may be exaggerating, but I get the feeling that alcohol is an important part of flying with BA for many FTers.

Thought experiment: imagine BA had removed all booze from lounges and aircraft for Lent, and was going to donate the money saved to Flying Start.

A good idea?
Forced charity makes me uncomfortable, so I suggest those who wish to donate simply place their Gordon's miniatures in the comic relief enevelope provided.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Has someone confused the BA forum with the AA forum again?

With that horrible pun out of the way:
Surprisingly it's the more well-heeled and DYKWIA brigade that are the worst culprits - the kind who would look down upon Happy Hour at some chavvy urban nightclub. Yet, on board an aircraft, it's several Happy Hours for them.
Why is that surprising? The majority of those flying Y don't have lounge access. Drinking at airport prices is a good way to get a heart attack before you board*, so those passengers self-select themselves out of your sample.

And on board, especially in Y, someone who is not DYKWIA tends to be hesitant to disturb the cabin crew even if the plane caught fire. So, the only ones getting booze are those expecting personal waitstaff and offers of refills the moment a glass gets emptied.

Basically, it's logical that it's the well-heeled and DYKWIA's are the worst culprits. The rest of us doesn't stand a chance to join their debauched ways!

All kidding aside: I've found that alcohol on flights hits me harder than on the ground. That can be fun, but the after-effects are harsher too, which certainly is Not Fun. This is why I limit my alcohol intake and found travel much more pleasurable if I hydrate myself properly on board by asking for juice/water instead when the cart comes by.

*After looking at your tab

Last edited by AtlanticX; Apr 8, 2015 at 5:15 am
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I think it's an age thing for me. I remember the days maybe 15 years ago when I would (especially if travelling business), have to be rolled off the plane. It all seemed much easier then

Nowadays, irrespective of length of flight (and whatever class of travel I'm in), I'll always match any alcohol consumption with the same amount of water and I rarely have more than 2 or 3 drinks, even on a 12 hour flight. Sometimes the CC on shorthaul flights provide me with double what I ask for (to be nice) when actually I would prefer they didn't!

Even on my trip to Dublin for the 6 nations this year, it was a couple of beers in the lounge and maybe one on board - can't cope with much more than that any more!

In reality it's been a long long time since I have seen anyone even vaguely drunk on a flight. Might be the routes I use, I guess. Generally not too many drinkers on the Seoul or Beijing routes in my experience.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Since I live and work in Saudi Arabia, I consider it extremely important to smuggle as much alcohol and pork in to the country as possible.

The only risk free way to do this is in the blood stream for the alcohol and a decomposing mass of pork in the stomach...!!

Therefore before boarding to RUH I consume a lovely big "full on" pork attack breakfast (love the black pudding^) in the Flounge washed down with champagne. If BA does away with the breakfasts in the Flounge or the T5 arrivals lounge, that will be the final straw...

On the aircraft I concentrate on drinking my favourite tipple = Port. This by fluid ounce is probably the most efficient way of getting sloshed on an aircraft that I can think of. It has the added benefit of not requiring the frequent visits to the loo that champagne results in and renders you unconcious for a few hours even if you were sitting on a drawing pin.

BA crew know my sort and happily comply...!! Steward to Chris (travelling in J): "Would you like the cheese and biscuits or the chocolate "whatever" sir...??" Chris to steward: "I'll have both please with a port...!!": Steward to Chris: "No problem...!!"

Flying through the stratosphere in a 25 year old cigar tube full to the brim with explosive aviation fuel is one thing - but as events over the last year have shown we have many additional risks, as if technical failures weren't enough for goodness sake.

Best to deal with this with another large Port...Chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.