Obsession with alcohol on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obsession with alcohol on board

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:36 pm
Suspended

For what has to be doone to people working in finance,drinking to much and having a good time on revenue C and F tickets,(while you have been counting miles,and miles,....and miles!!!)-see Vladimir Ilyich Lenin,-"What has to be done" !!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I love good wine and Champagne, the problem is if you just fly domestically, well first there is NO Champagne, there is prosecco, a poor substitute and the wines are basic. As a result over the years, the Bloody Mary has become my drink. PDB? Bloody Mary. First round of drinks in flight? Bloody Mary. I will a glass of wine during a meal unless the choices are poor. The nice thing about having the Bloody Mary as your traveling drink is its the drink that in the morning has quasi acceptability Not that I care and I have noticed that I have been on a few morning flights where nobody had any cocktail orders and then I say Bloody Mary and then all of a sudden a few other Bloody Mary orders pop up I do a handful of transcon flights a year and for those I do enjoy myself. I never have to drive where I arrive and I am just quietly watching the movie/on the internet/reading.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Honestly, there's really just one problem with the airport/aircraft alcohol situation.

I'm having one in the lounge, but then I have to finish it to go to the flight, where I must wait for a PDB.

Clearly the solution is a bar about halfway down the jetbridge. Why don't any airlines have this?
This does exist. When boarding a flight from WLG to SYD half way down from the normal boarding podium is where the lounge lets out directly to the jetway. They simply take half of your paper ticket and thats it.

When they announce boarding everyone gets up from the lounge, you can very easily wait until all those people are through and when 'final boarding' is called, be on your way. I suspect its not only WLG that has this feature, as flying within NZ/AUS is more pleasant than anywhere I have been. People do not go through security until boarding commences, they have announcements "Please proceed through security as boarding is about to commence" etc...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Nice. Whole thread is classical proof of moral hazard.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by BHDATC
You smell your fellow passengers before flights?

As above. Nonsense.
I went in to my husband's suite and smelt him! I said.. "god you stink, what have you had to drink". He replied "Dom, Krug, whiskey, red wine,blah, blah"!! What had I had... a diet coke and an apple fizzer or something!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The only obsession I have with alcohol on board is whether they will run out of my favourite brand.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:58 am
Suspended

I'll totally admit that I often "that guy" who orders a screwdriver on a noon flight to SFO. I might even have a drink or two at the airport bar beforehand. I have a pretty busy life, and when on work travel is one of the few times I know I am totally inaccessible, and can just relax for a few hours.

I'm also "that guy" who sits quietly in his seat watching movies on his tablet.

Frankly, if I'm sitting quietly, drinking my drink, and not bothering anyone, it's nobody's concern what I choose to put into my body. Maybe you can smell alcohol on my breath, but having flown a bunch, I am envious of OP if the worst singe serving friend they had was someone who smells vaguely of booze.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:14 am

I usually drink a pint in the airport bar while waiting for my flight (what else is there to do in an airport ) and on long haul international flights I will drink a beer or two on the plane as well. I don't consider that as excessive.

I have never ever smelled booze on any passenger in my entire traveling life, not sure where you find these people.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rumbataz
I've noticed a lot more passengers who stink of booze prior to boarding the aircraft who then go on to drink as much alcohol as possible during the flight.

Surprisingly it's the more well-heeled and DYKWIA brigade that are the worst culprits - the kind who would look down upon Happy Hour at some chavvy urban nightclub. Yet, on board an aircraft, it's several Happy Hours for them.

So, what is the etiquette on consuming alcohol on board an aircraft without looking like an alcoholic who's trying to get as much free booze as possible before landing?
A lot more compared to when? More compared to when it used to be totally free on flights you mean? Care to explain what a DYKWIA is?

Sorry, but there's no overall social etiquette governing what you do in life. I haven't seen this problem and I fly a lot.

Originally Posted by greggarious
I'll totally admit that I often "that guy" who orders a screwdriver on a noon flight to SFO. I might even have a drink or two at the airport bar beforehand. I have a pretty busy life, and when on work travel is one of the few times I know I am totally inaccessible, and can just relax for a few hours.

I'm also "that guy" who sits quietly in his seat watching movies on his tablet.

Frankly, if I'm sitting quietly, drinking my drink, and not bothering anyone, it's nobody's concern what I choose to put into my body. Maybe you can smell alcohol on my breath, but having flown a bunch, I am envious of OP if the worst singe serving friend they had was someone who smells vaguely of booze.
How dare you violate the OP's etiquette. You must be from DYKWIA.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ou81two
Care to explain what a DYKWIA is?
DYKWIA = "Don't you know who I am!?!?!?"

Usually someone who thinks because their 100% travel consulting gig makes them rack up miles quickly they're somehow more important than us lower, "non-status" folks.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by greggarious
DYKWIA = "Don't you know who I am!?!?!?"

Usually someone who thinks because their 100% travel consulting gig makes them rack up miles quickly they're somehow more important than us lower, "non-status" folks.
Shame on them.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta, United
An obsession with alcohol is nothing compared to his obsession :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Iz-8CSa9xj8
Old Apr 10, 2015, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rapidex
I love my lounge and inflight drinks.In 1A JFK-LHR Sunday night I had an excelent pot of tea,followed by water.

Who put you in charge of the drinks,I am perfectly capable of choosing what drinks I wish to enjoy,I dont need some busy body interfering.If I wish to buy a ticket on a dry airline,I have plenty of options to so do.Do not try to make my flight dry after I have purchased my ticket.

In short,mind your own business and stay out of mine.
Eh? Do I know you? When did I mention you or your flight? Are you suggesting that people should not be allowed to express an opinion in general terms regarding an observation they make?

Nobody put me in charge of the drinks. And at no point have I suggested that people shouldn't drink.

Finally, are you suggesting that I should actually know who you are? Sadly, I don't.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I couldn't care less too. But there are self-righteous, judgemental people who need to bolster their own self worth by seething in quiet condemnation of the people around them. That's their problem not mine.

From the safety of their keyboard they come on websites to seek support for their viewpoint but lack the nerve to say anything directly to someone. Insecure, self-righteous and timid is no way to go through life. Better to have a few drinks now and again and MYOB.
Thanks for the compliments.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know who you are either and I don't remember mentioning you or directing any negativity towards you personally.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Is there really such a "problem" with drunken passengers misbehaving?

I travel mainly in countries that supposedly have this reputation: Scotland, rest of UK, Northern & eastern Europe, Russia, Australia, mostly in Economy, sometimes in Business.

Most of these places you get free alcohol and if you have lounge access, it's generous with the drinks

I can't think when I last saw someone being mildly annoying through alcohol, let alone behaving obnoxiously. When I did, it was inevitably on a holiday charter or "stag weekend" type flight. Not flights you usually see frequent flyers on.

The worst behaviour I've seen in business class has been parents who let their kids run free, or seat them in a separate row.

Even the much-maligned FIFO mine and rig workers in Australia are well-enough behaved - interestingly, the ones that drink a lot on-board seem to be well-known to the cabin staff and the atmosphere is social, not menacing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.