Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel booking website that allows to pay in local currency

Old Mar 14, 15, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold, On Business, Turkish Elite

Hi < I was trying to book hotels thru websites. Noticed some websites take your credit card number only to confirm the booking but you actually pay on site at the hotel, meaning your card will be charged forex fee when you travel abroad.

Any idea which websites charge you on their websites in local currency in GBP so that you dont have to pay locally

cheerio
Old Mar 14, 15, 5:04 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Booking a non-refundable advanced purchase rate will almost always charge upfront. Booking a flexible rate will often mean you pay at checkout in local currency.
Old Mar 15, 15, 7:19 am

....your card will be charged forex fee when you travel abroad.
If you pay for a hotel abroad in GBP you may lose anyway since the exchange rate applied will always include a margin for the vendor.

I travel abroad a lot so rather than use forex cash I use a sterling based credit card which offers the Mastercard interbank rate without an additional fee for as many of my purchases as possible.

There is an excellent explanation on how to choose a suitable card on MoneySavingExpert.com at this page
Old Mar 15, 15, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Most rates on expedia.co.uk and Hotels.com are prepayable in .

Hotels.com also has a decent rewards scheme (stay 10 nights, get one free night to the average value of the ten), and on top of that, you can usually get around 8% cashback by clicking through from Quidco.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: