How much did Your Honeymoon cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:57 pm

Maybe $10K equivalent to the Seychelles. Could have come home after five days and been happy
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Oct 2013 - 9 total nights - 4 in Paris, 2 in Cork, IR, 1 in Limerick, 2 in Dublin

Air: EWR-CDG, DUB-EWR - $0 - on UA points
EDG-ORK - $300

Hotel:
Paris - PH Vendome $0 - 2 nights from Chase Hyatt Visa signup, 2 nights on Points
Cork - Hayfield Manor - 2 nights - $550 (a plus - upgraded to Master Suite)
Limerick - #1 Pery Square -1 night $200
Dublin - Conrad Dublin - $0 - 2 nights converted from Amex points

Approx $1,050 ..... which enabled us to splurge on meals, private drivers in Ireland,

The value considering the PH Vendome was $1,000/night would have pushed to $8,000....
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
13k USD in Australia 15 years ago. Including J ticket from SG, BMW M3 rental for 10days, hotel, food, etc.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
...spent 6 weeks pimping in asia.
How much money did you make back doing that?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond

Ok - so my wedding was $1000 with a honeymoon in the beautiful Lake District here in the UK staying at a family members B&B - 25 years ago. BUT - how many times have I been reminded of that and flown my better half all over the world ?? My wedding has cost me big time 😍
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
How much money did you make back doing that?
When I was in Japan on my honeymoon with my wife a bunch of Israeli girls came up to her (with me there!) and suggested she work as a type of "Geisha" pouring drinks for businessmen and how great the money was. They didn't seem to care she was on her honeymoon! Needless to say she declined to join them.

Additionally, when we were in Bangkok (at a very fancy hotel) a group of four hookers came to our room looking for a guy named Mustafa. I thought some friend of mine put them up to it as a joke but they just had the wrong room.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Me and my husband are cheap! It's a 2nd marriage for both of us and to get married, we opted to elope in Las Vegas.

After that, we spent 10 days in Tokyo and spent just under 5k. We didn't use miles or points as that was before I started my traveling jobs. However, the 5k includes all food/drink/entertainment/hotel etc..

I knew nothing about travel then and just did some shopping around. We had a list of about 7 locations that we wanted to go to and we decided that we would go with the most economic option since all 7 were equal favorites.

LOL it would cost us a lot more now that I've gotten used to biz class on all my int'l flights! However, I have a heck of a lot more miles, so wouldn't likely have to pay for the flight.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:58 pm

Which is more romantic? Business class and sitting in different pods or next to each other in economy class?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honeymoon? At the time we didn't have the money for that kind of thing and I doubt we would have done it even if we did have the money. We spent a total of about $300 (not counting her wedding dress, her father provided that, we never knew what he paid) including rings. A very good deal, less than $12/yr at this point.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My wife and I took a week-long honeymoon to Montana and Wyoming several years ago to visit parks and go hiking. That's not everybody's thing, but it's one of our favorite activities.

We kept our spending very modest. We used airline and hotel points for about half the costs to reduce our out-of-pocket spending. But even if we paid everything out of pocket (air, hotels, car, gas) it would've come to about $1500.

Part of our choice to keep the costs modest was that we value saving over spending. We could have "pulled out the stops" and spent 10x or more what we did. It wouldn't have meant going into debt but it would have meant spending a big chunk of our savings. That just didn't seem prudent to either of us. Why blow our savings now when we can let it grow for another 30+ years to help fund an enjoyable life after retirement.

It's all relative to one's portfolio, of course. Two of my friends got married a few months ago. They spent upwards of $100k on a lavishly catered wedding and a honeymoon of hop-scotching around the South Pacific in business class and five-star hotels. Is that imprudent? No. Their net worth is several million. They made reasonable choices in light of their priorities and their means. I wish them only the best.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE

Fiji, Australia and NZ.

Points for J all the way - some FJ and some QF.

Did a 12 room resort island in fiji for a few days for $2k discounted with Expedia credits and coupon. Then did a private island in Yasawas was about $3k for 3 days but it was an unforgettable experience.

Australia and NZ hotels, cars, and food were about $2k. We like to get out in the country when we visit those places.

So 7k I guess. The rev tickets priced at 22k for 2 of us the day I booked the awards.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
About $300 nine years ago. Two weeks in Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Great Basin NP.

Entry to NP was free due to the annual pass I had. Car rental was about $100, the rest was lodging, gas and food. We had really good time, however my wife from time to time reminds me that I dragged her hiking in Arches when it was 110F in shade.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
About £6000 for 3 weeks in 1997. All paid for. Probably more on top for food but can't remember. Economy class to Australia but 5* hotels (where they had them - camping in Outback. We did do dawn hot air ballooning, scuba diving and helicopter flights as well.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'd say about $15,000 in 1994. 3 week trip to Canada and USA. It was my first big trip.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:17 am

$2500

Two RT from SEA - OGG and six nights at the Fairmont: $1400 (read below)
Car rental: $350
Misc: $750

At the time there was a special at the Fairmont in Maui, buy five nights get the sixth night free. However the site I booked through reversed it, gave me five nights free and I only paid for the sixth.

So the six nights at the Fairmont (got upgraded to deluxe ocean suite and free breakfast) and airfare was $1400. Not exactly a deal I shared through FT.

Other misc, rental car and good, was about another thousand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.