Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to handle noisy hotel neighbors

How to handle noisy hotel neighbors

Old Mar 6, 15, 5:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: somewhere in F, hopefully
Posts: 669
How to handle noisy hotel neighbors

So the guy in the next room was making plastic rustling noises for a couple hours, and then freaky noises during the night. Maybe he had sleep apnea or something...no idea. Then at 5:30 this morning he's blasting his TV. I lost two hours of sleep. The plastic rustling noises have restarted, along with some disgusting sinus clearing. What the hell is wrong with people??? These walls are seriously thin (I'm at the Boston Marriott Copley Place), and I'm guessing he's elite because he's in a corner room, so he should know better. I tried turning on the fan but it only drowns out the noise on high, which is too loud and sounds like a jet engine in my room. Would have called the front desk but I'm leaving soon anyway. Contemplating sticking a nasty note under his door. Sorry for the rant.
sunnyjl is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 6:06 am
  #2  
djs
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Posts: 823
Guy may be fighting a cold (as I am right now). If you are staying beyond tonight, ask the front desk for a new room.
djs is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 6:25 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 7,200
I always have ear plugs when travelling. They've been responsible for many a good night's sleep that would have otherwise been impossible. If you are still there tonight I'd suggest going out and buying a pair. Look for the ones with the highest NRR rating.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 8:41 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 506
Modern sleep apnea machines are quiet.

Put noise blocking earplugs on your packing list and get a white
noise generator app for your phone.
Paul56 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 8:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA
Programs: WN Companion Pass, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 260
I always forget my earplugs! Must learn to be better about that. I've had to ask to be moved a few times. The worst is South Florida during Spring Break....
JMR1223 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 10:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K
Posts: 94
How to handle noisy hotel neighbors

I've discovered doors between connecting rooms to be a conduit for noise, so I double check during checkin that I don't have a connecting room.
Q54701 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 11:30 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,439
Sounds more like your issue than his. People get sick, it happens. Where should he blow his nose? Noise at 530am? I am typically getting up at 0430, and my alarm is an old phone ringtone, with the phone on the desk not near my bed. So rings 10-15 times before I get it. Maybe you need to upgrade to your own private floor.
planemechanic is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 2:09 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Scotland
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 476
God that would have me banging on the wall letting him know we can hear him.

Prime example of why always best to pick hotels with some sort of noise reduction or at least proper walls, i don't see why I should have to create noise in my own room just to drown out others.
chris19992 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 2:47 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 10,149
I would've asked for another room. There are no guarantees, but more often than not most hotels - especially those of Marriott quality - will try to accommodate their guests if space is available.

As to the thin walls - I would avoid this hotel in the future. Interestingly, I once stayed at the Hyatt out at Logan and was amazed at how poorly constructed the hotel was, particularly with regard to walls. There was a family of five Chinese people in the room next to mine and from the tone and tenor of the noise emanating from there, you would think that none of them got along!

Many people have disparaged sites like tripadvisor here, but with regard to thin walls I find their reviews quite helpful. At a good well built hotel (often the older ones) you shouldn't be able to hear normal conversation or TV at a normal volume from the room next door.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 6, 15 at 6:17 pm
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 5:28 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: somewhere in F, hopefully
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by planemechanic View Post
Sounds more like your issue than his. People get sick, it happens. Where should he blow his nose? Noise at 530am? I am typically getting up at 0430, and my alarm is an old phone ringtone, with the phone on the desk not near my bed. So rings 10-15 times before I get it. Maybe you need to upgrade to your own private floor.
Yeah, he wasn't blowing his nose. That doesn't bother me. He was clearing his sinuses 10 times in a row every three-four minutes. I don't care what time you get up. You need to be considerate of the people in adjacent rooms. It's called common courtesy. If you have sinus problems that serious, you need to see a doctor!
sunnyjl is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 6:13 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangkok or San Francisco
Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Posts: 11,881
Originally Posted by sunnyjl View Post
So the guy in the next room was making plastic rustling noises for a couple hours, and then freaky noises during the night. Maybe he had sleep apnea or something...no idea. Then at 5:30 this morning he's blasting his TV. I lost two hours of sleep. The plastic rustling noises have restarted, along with some disgusting sinus clearing. What the hell is wrong with people??? These walls are seriously thin (I'm at the Boston Marriott Copley Place), and I'm guessing he's elite because he's in a corner room, so he should know better. I tried turning on the fan but it only drowns out the noise on high, which is too loud and sounds like a jet engine in my room. Would have called the front desk but I'm leaving soon anyway. Contemplating sticking a nasty note under his door. Sorry for the rant.
So the guy has a cold or sleep apnea. What do you expect him to do?

5:30 in the morning? Time to get up to go to work.

His behavior sounds reasonable. Your only option is to ask the hotel to move you to a different room.
Tchiowa is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 6:17 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,693
Cool

Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
...get a white noise generator app for your phone.
^I use the iPad Appzilla app with rain and thunder white noise almost every night in hotels. Works great, rarely get disturbed by anything.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 6:32 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 7,200
Originally Posted by sunnyjl View Post
Yeah, he wasn't blowing his nose. That doesn't bother me. He was clearing his sinuses 10 times in a row every three-four minutes. I don't care what time you get up. You need to be considerate of the people in adjacent rooms. It's called common courtesy. If you have sinus problems that serious, you need to see a doctor!
No actually I don't need to be considerate of people in other rooms. Unless my activities are disturbing to the point that the front desk gets involved then I shall continue on undeterred.

Get yourself a good pair of ear plugs. That way whether it's sinuses, snoring, boisterous sex, an early riser or a loud television next door you will get a good night's sleep.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 7:29 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 141
I can't sleep with ear plugs, I always wind up yanking them out and throwing them across the room. I just can't stand them in my ears. So I use a white noise app on my phone or iPad, and a small travel speaker. It works quite well at screening out street noise, neighbors, kids running down the hall, etc. It doesn't quite drown out my husband's snoring, but it helps.
Airline_Brat is offline  
Old Mar 6, 15, 7:48 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: US
Programs: DL GE
Posts: 1,654
I just call their room when I think they are sleeping. From a house phone if possible.

I let them know what a terrible person they are. Most of the time they seem to appreciate it.
pragakhan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: