Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to handle noisy hotel neighbors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djs
Guy may be fighting a cold (as I am right now). If you are staying beyond tonight, ask the front desk for a new room.
To answer the OP's question, I guess that's what's wrong with people. I guess that or people are too cheap to bring ear plugs with them.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
No actually I don't need to be considerate of people in other rooms. Unless my activities are disturbing to the point that the front desk gets involved then I shall continue on undeterred.

Get yourself a good pair of ear plugs. That way whether it's sinuses, snoring, boisterous sex, an early riser or a loud television next door you will get a good night's sleep.
A) I once had a family thrown out of their room in the WA Towers in NY. The kids would not stop launching their bodies against the wall, and the parents would not stop it. It took four calls to the front desk, but I finally heard them leaving.

B) Ear plugs? How safe would that be in the event of a fire or other emergency?

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Nope. I am not going to tippy toe around my hotel room on the off chance that the walls are thin or the person next door feels like dictating what "common courtesy" is. If I am disturbing you contact the front desk. If they chose not to get involved then live with it.
See my answer (A) under the first section.

Originally Posted by CKA1
I'm sorry your neighbor was sick.

As for up at 530? What if he was from a different time zone. We can assume he was staying at a hotel because he wasn't at home, therefore it is likely he was from some other place. And I can't count the number of times I get up at 3AM to catch a flight or get prepped for a meeting.
Just because you're getting up doesn't mean everyone else is. That's usually considered quiet hours for most hotels. Get up and do your thing but don't blast your TV or walk like an elephant around the room or have phone calls on speaker.

Originally Posted by CMK10
I echo the ear plug advice. I have a pair in my travel briefcase as well as in my shaving kit.

Or you can do this: My brother and I were at the Le Meriden Philadelphia last year and on our floor was a big wedding party. Some of them finally came back to the room around 6 AM and were quite noisy. My brother jumped out of his bed, stalked outside in his boxers and yelled "it's 6 o'clock in the morning, SHUT THE F-WORD UP!"

It was quite effective
Hahaha I have actually done this. Many times. One time there was a drunk couple dancing in the hall to their iPhone. I opened the door, and they said, Wanna join us? I said, "No, get the [Moderator edit] to bed!"

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 13, 2015 at 11:02 am Reason: Per FT Rules as to profane language.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by JMR1223
I always forget my earplugs! Must learn to be better about that. I've had to ask to be moved a few times. The worst is South Florida during Spring Break....
wow.... that brought back memories... spring break 1985(or was it 1986?)
the sound of headboard banging against the wall from the adjoining room
kept me awake almost all night. we fought back with the same noise.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
A)
B) Ear plugs? How safe would that be in the event of a fire or other emergency?
Ear plugs aren't going to drown out a fire alarm. I wear ear plugs every night when I'm in a hotel but a ringing phone for the wake up call gets through just fine. And fire alarms are considerably louder/more peircing than a ringing phone. But they do a great job filtering out the sounds of loud TVs a room over, people talking, kids running in the hallway, stuff like that.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ou81two
To answer the OP's question, I guess that's what's wrong with people. I guess that or people are too cheap to bring ear plugs with them.
In a emergency , be it on an airplane or a hotel room, you can use tissue or even toilet paper shaped into ear plugs. Helps somewhat.

Originally Posted by AppleApe
wow.... that brought back memories... spring break 1985(or was it 1986?)
the sound of headboard banging against the wall from the adjoining room
kept me awake almost all night. we fought back with the same noise.
ALL NIGHT ? Or as Maxwell Smart says
" would you believe a couple of hours" ?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ou81two
Nope. I'm not going to stick something in my ear to drown out inappropriate levels of noise from a neighboring room. The OP's complaints were excessive, IMO, but if someone is blasting music after 8:00PM or partying late or kids running in the hallway I won't just hide from it. One request to them to keep in quiet. Next request is to the front desk.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Nope. I'm not going to stick something in my ear to drown out inappropriate levels of noise from a neighboring room. The OP's complaints were excessive, IMO, but if someone is blasting music after 8:00PM or partying late or kids running in the hallway I won't just hide from it. One request to them to keep in quiet. Next request is to the front desk.
I don't know, now a days it is better to let the Front Desk handle it all. Who knows who is "juiced" up.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
I don't know, now a days it is better to let the Front Desk handle it all. Who knows who is "juiced" up.
True. Very true.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS

ALL NIGHT ? Or as Maxwell Smart says
" would you believe a couple of hours" ?
obviously not all night... as in nonstop.... they took breaks, of course
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I honestly cannot believe how many people say to use earplugs, if I have paid money to stay in a nice hotel, I should not HAVE to wear earplugs just because of some idiot next door.

Earplugs seem to be the first and only method some people have of "dealing" with problem noise but the problem using a passive approach is the noisy idiot never knows they have inconvenienced anyone and thus never even have a chance of changing their behavior.

Too many people just put up with things instead of at least trying to change it.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Last year at the Residence Inn in Center City Philadelphia we had a room that had an adjoining door to a room populated with a group of college students who planned on partying all night long. After repeated requests to the front desk, finally at 2 in the morning they finally got tough with the students .

The next morning I talked with the manager. It took 4 complaints before his staff did anything, and several afterwards before they got serious -- before that, they called the room to tell them to quiet down. He offered me a couple of thousand points. I refused, and said I wanted a refund for the night. They advertise a quiet place to relax and rest, and they didn't deliver. If his staff had made an honest effort to quiet the students down from the start, I would have been more understanding, but they didn't, and at one time told me to go confront the students (that would not have been pretty).

They gave me credit for the night plus 5000 points, probably because I was a platinum with them at the time. By the way, my wife sleeps with earplugs, and even though the bed was around a corner from the adjoining door, she was kept awake.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
I use 2 approaches. For defense, I always bring earplugs. For offense, I don't use my CPAP machine that night. This normally gets them to change rooms the next night.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Crowne Plaza LAX gave me a new room, and vouchers for three free drinks, when I reported that I wasn't interested in hearing the guy next door spank his wife/gf through the connecting door.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Crowne Plaza LAX gave me a new room, and vouchers for three free drinks, when I reported that I wasn't interested in hearing the guy next door spank his wife/gf through the connecting door.
Seems like that arrangement worked out well for all concerned.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
A) I once had a family thrown out of their room in the WA Towers in NY. The kids would not stop launching their bodies against the wall, and the parents would not stop it. It took four calls to the front desk, but I finally heard them leaving.
This situation is quite different than the situation you describe in your first post. But if you were offended to the point that you thought about shoving a note under his door why didn't you call the front desk and ask him to turn his TV down?

Just because you're getting up doesn't mean everyone else is. That's usually considered quiet hours for most hotels. Get up and do your thing but don't blast your TV or walk like an elephant around the room or have phone calls on speaker.
Sorry. 5:30am is usually when my day begins particularly on a business trip. If someone objects to me starting my day a couple hours before she manages to haul herself out of bed then she should contact the front desk and let them take it from there.

Pushing notes under the door or telling me to [Moderator edit] are not going to have the desired effect.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 13, 2015 at 11:05 am Reason: To remove prohibited reference to profanity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.