Reload this Page >

Your worst jetlag experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 am

African American Microsoft Chairman John Thompson blames you. If you have jet lag, it is your fault and shows you are crazy. He says it's all psychological. See http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...jet-lag-2015-2

Hogwash. If he is so smart, he should join Isis then surrender to the Israelis, who will sleep deprive him. Then he can reiterate his claim that it's all in his head.
I am rarely violent but I wanted to slap him for saying that.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat

For a variety of reasons, I flew SXM-PHL-SFO-KIX-SIN-AKL-NAN over about 72hrs. It became surreal and difficult to adjust once I got to Fiji. I also felt ridiculous because I did all that only to realize I'd merely left one island to be on another.

Last week, I flew SXM-HND for four days. Went back to MIA for two and then backtracked to LAS. My sleep is still a little off
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
When i came back from Sydney

I lasted a week
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I think my first visit to Japan (FRA-NRT) must have been the worst, as my body, for whatever reason, simply refused to adjust to the time zone.

Never had that problem again afterwards. I usually have a body that adjust pretty well and fortunately jet lags are not things I am troubled with very often.

One thing I have learned, though, is that the more often I travel between timezones, the easier my body gets to it and the less jet lag or similar symptoms I face.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:13 pm

Worst one due to my own stupidity was at Glastonbury music festival, flew in from JFK the same day. I felt nauseaus and completely disassociated from reality during my body's night hours. Of course insane amounts of alcohol didn't help the cause.

Another bad one was after JNU-SVO. It's exactly 12 hours difference. Talk about very boring nights and feeling like a hot steaming pile of... during the day.

Thinking back, easiest one was after JNU-PKC. It's 22 or 23 hours difference, so in all reality, it was a simple 1 hours difference in time, just the next day.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
End of January this year I flew from ORD to SYD, stayed there a week then came back. About 10 days later I did ORD to BOM. ... I'm still recovering.

I usually don't fare well with jet lag, but this combo has been the worst thus far. Europe doesn't really bug me any more. Anything in Asia Pac kills me..
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:29 pm

From Denver to Moscow in the summer. 10hr time change.
There was light until about midnight, then started getting light again at 2am. It was never dark enough, long enough, for my body to figure out what was going on, just had to gut through it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
YYZ-ZRH-LHR-CDG-NRT-HKG-YYZ in ten days. Arrived home on Valentines Day. My wife had prepared a lovely meal. I fell asleep at the table.

WDH-JNB-JFK-YYZ knocks the stuffing out of me. I did it earlier this year and it took me three days to recover.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
End of January this year I flew from ORD to SYD, stayed there a week then came back. About 10 days later I did ORD to BOM. ... I'm still recovering.

I usually don't fare well with jet lag, but this combo has been the worst thus far. Europe doesn't really bug me any more. Anything in Asia Pac kills me..
Yeah, I have the same problem traveling to Asia (and it looks like several other posters here have the same issue). TPAC flights seems to be the worse in terms of jet lag effect. By contrast, when flying to Europe (well...Western Europe anyway), the jet lag effect is not as severe or pronounced.

Not sure entirely why, maybe it has something to do with crossing the international date line?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Yeah, I have the same problem traveling to Asia (and it looks like several other posters here have the same issue). TPAC flights seems to be the worse in terms of jet lag effect. By contrast, when flying to Europe (well...Western Europe anyway), the jet lag effect is not as severe or pronounced.

Not sure entirely why, maybe it has something to do with crossing the international date line?
Direction of travel and the effect on jet lag has been well-studied, and due to the natural shift in daily sleep cycle that we all experience, traveling toward the East produces the most pronounced jet lag. A well-researched area, but here are three cites:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbo...tation/jet-lag

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpt...ue-and-jet-lag

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...58f_story.html

Last edited by 747FC; Mar 3, 2015 at 8:40 pm Reason: added citation
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Direction of travel and the effect on jet lag has been well-studied, and due to the natural shift in daily sleep cycle that we all experience, traveling toward the East produces the most pronounced jet lag. A well-researched area, but here are three cites:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbo...tation/jet-lag

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpt...ue-and-jet-lag

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...58f_story.html
But if you live in North America, flying to Asia means you are flying westward, and if you travel to Europe, you are flying eastward. In theory, that should have meant flying to Europe will have more severe jet lag than flying to Asia.

But that is not case for me and several other posters here. I think the extra time zones due to crossing the date line when flying to Asia outweigh any benefits from flying in a western direction.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Mar 3, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:55 pm

But if you live in North America, flying to Asia means you are flying westward, and if you travel to Europe, you are flying eastward. In theory, that should have meant flying to Europe will have more severe jet lag than flying to Asia.

But that is not case for me and several other posters here. I think the extra time zones due to crossing the date line when flying to Asia outweigh any benefits from flying in a western direction.
It is the total # of time zones (i.e., distance) crossed and the direction that matters. Simply crossing an imaginary demarkation (International Date Line) has no effect. You can test that out by crossing the equator, another imarginary demarkation.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

It is the total # of time zones (i.e., distance) crossed and the direction that matters. Simply crossing an imaginary demarkation (International Date Line) has no effect. You can test that out by crossing the equator, another imarginary demarkation.
Well, direction seem to have less impact to me when I fly then the number of time zones I have to cross that is the real kicker.

On the date line, I would have agree, except, the countries of the world set their date by it, so you are either adding or subtracting a whole day when you cross it, and that has very real effects on jet leg, even if the line itself is imaginary.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:14 pm

Well, direction seem to have less impact to me when I fly then the number of time zones I have to cross that is the real kicker.

On the date line, I would have agree, except, the countries of the world set their date by it, so you are either adding or subtracting a whole day when you cross it, and that has very real effects on jet leg, even if the line itself is imaginary.
Ask the people in Alofi, Niue if they have jet lag when the cross the dateline into waters belonging to Samoa or New Zealand. I suspect that they will tell you they don't.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Ask the people in Alofi, Niue if they have jet lag when the cross the dateline into waters belonging to Samoa or New Zealand. I suspect that they will tell you they don't.
Obviously, but you are ignoring my point. I'm not talking about such short distances.

I'm talking about the time zones, you cross a lot more time zones when cross the date line than you don't. Therefore the date line does have a strong effect on jet lag that way.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Mar 4, 2015 at 12:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.