Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Shortest (by Distance) Commercial Flight from Your Local Airport(s)

Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:48 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Reading about the flights in Indonesia and Scotland got me thinking about the shortest distance flown by a commercial airline (for the sake of this post, let's stick with passenger flights only) from the closest airport(s) to my home. Seeing as the closest are LGA, JFK and EWR, it's not terribly exciting to guess, but I'll throw PHL out there as a possibility.

Do you know which are the shortest (by kilometers/miles) scheduled commercial flights from your airport(s)?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:16 pm

For BOS, I think it is Cape Air's flight to Provincetown, at 45 miles.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze
HKG not particularly exciting on this one, CAN at distance of 70 miles, though KA sometimes operate A330s on this route.

Scottish one you refer to is shortest commercial flight in the world at 1.7 miles - http://www.flightfeature.com/the-wor...ay-to-westray/
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: DL GM

I live near DTW. Shortest used to be TOL, 49 miles. That was cancelled, so then it was FNT, 56 miles. That was cancelled, so it is now LAN at 74 miles.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:41 am

ZRH, I believe it's ZRH-STR, 90 miles - flown several times a day.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ZRH-STR

ZRH-BSL used to be the shortest one at 49 miles, but was cancelled some years ago.

Funnily enough, the shortest domestic flight is longer (ZRH-LUG) at 102 miles
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver, HH Diamond.

SFO to OAK, about 30 years ago. Just a hop over the Bay.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:46 pm

SMF to SFO. Something like 85 miles on a little EMB 120, but an enjoyable flight.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The 2 closest airports with scheduled service are 44 miles & 50 miles away. Both have at least several flights a day in each direction.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
YVR-YYJ 39 miles
YVR-YCD 33 miles

The seaplane to seaplane Vancouver-Victoria may be a bit shorter as well, not sure.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Seeing as the closest are LGA, JFK and EWR, it's not terribly exciting to guess, but I'll throw PHL out there as a possibility.
I remember walking to the platform at EWR thinking my train to PHL would be much faster than the flight when you add in taxi/takeoff/landing/taxi. Let alone the 45 minutes or so minimum you need to be early.

Originally Posted by caldrich
SFO to OAK, about 30 years ago. Just a hop over the Bay.
Who the heck flies this? I can't imagine ever paying for it. A helicopter sure maybe but not a commercial flight, you'd spend so much time at SFO. We have some Helijet flights from Vancouver to Victoria but as far as I know you don't need to show up as early as you would for a regular flight.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
PIT-AOO is 102 miles. $39 each way.

PIT-FKL is supposed to start soon - 64 miles.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by drvannostren
YVR-YYJ 39 miles
YVR-YCD 33 miles

The seaplane to seaplane Vancouver-Victoria may be a bit shorter as well, not sure.
Dunno. I flew CXH-ZNA which is also 39 miles according to GCM. BTW YVR-YXX is also 39 miles.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
PHL-ABE is 55 miles.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
SMF to SFO. Something like 85 miles on a little EMB 120, but an enjoyable flight.
Looks like that is changing to CR2's. Probably knock 10 minutes off the flight time.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren

Who the heck flies this? I can't imagine ever paying for it. A helicopter sure maybe but not a commercial flight, you'd spend so much time at SFO. We have some Helijet flights from Vancouver to Victoria but as far as I know you don't need to show up as early as you would for a regular flight.
I don't think that the type of aircraft matters in determining whether it is a commercial flight, just whether it is operated by a commercial entity on a regular schedule with the purpose of transporting people from one place to another (as opposed to flights which exist solely to enable people to get a plane's eye view of things, such as tourist flights over the Grand Canyon).

A number of companies have offered scheduled helicopter service from Manhattan to JFK airport. Driving distance from the MetLife Building (formerly the Pan Am Building) is 16.8 miles - less in terms of flight miles, which would be more direct.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:14 pm

YYZ-YXU (Toronto Pearson - London, Ontario) at 89 miles is, I would assume, the shortest flight from YYZ. "International" would be Rochester New York at 106 miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.