Travel Suggestions for Fun Trip for Teenage Boy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
OMG, Doc Savage! I almost peed my pants laughing
I can't be responsible for any laundry bills, sorry.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
My vote would go to Phuket. Rent the movie. From Phuket you can take a boat tour of James Bond Island.

I still choose vacation destinations based on where they film Bond movies. And this problem started in my teens. My problem with exotic cars started at that age also so I understand the Autobahn thing.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
I haven't been there, but I've been eyeing Nepal for a while. I'm not sure whether August is a good time to go or not. But there is trekking and white water kayaking. I googled (a while back) an outfit that has a white water kayaking school. Journeys International has a cultural trekking trip, too.
Biggest problem with Nepal is Kathmandu. It's where hippies that are consider too grungy for Berkeley go to live. Some areas are pretty hard to stomach. Bhaktupur just outside Kathmandu is a great place to spend a day.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Biggest problem with Nepal is Kathmandu. It's where hippies that are consider too grungy for Berkeley go to live. Some areas are pretty hard to stomach. Bhaktupur just outside Kathmandu is a great place to spend a day.
NOW I know where I've seen you before!

Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage

You're not supposed to be identifying other posters. Against FT rules.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Haha +1 ^
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

OP here, returning many years later. I've thought about this thread from time-to-time during the past four years and have always been meaning to come back and provide an update. My son (16 at the time) ended up selecting....Japan! We spent time in Tokyo and Kyoto and had an absolute blast.

Another one of my children turned 16 a couple years later. We gave this child the same opportunity as far as selecting the destination for the family summer vacation. They selected Singapore and Phuket Thailand.

As far as some discussion earlier in this thread regarding the German Autobahn, our family did end up going to Frankfurt Germany a couple years ago. We rented a sports car (can't recall the make/model now), and my husband had a very nerve-wracking, but successful drive at high speeds through the country side. It was an interesting experience but not one I want to repeat anytime soon.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork

As far as some discussion earlier in this thread regarding the German Autobahn, our family did end up going to Frankfurt Germany a couple years ago. We rented a sports car (can't recall the make/model now), and my husband had a very nerve-wracking, but successful drive at high speeds through the country side. It was an interesting experience but not one I want to repeat anytime soon.
Nerve wracking for the driver or the passenger?

I know of an American family whose kid had the same input and chose Alderney, Channel Islands. Since that was a questionable choice, it was tacked on to London. Turns out that Alderney was interesting for the family.

See, Flyertalk, this is an example where a zombie thread is interesting! Normally, it's forbidden.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:50 am

Location: Never far from an international airport, unless I'm far from home
Programs: MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, National Emerald Club. Wegmans Shoppers Club.
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Having lived in Germany I will tell you that the Autobahn is no place for a 16 year old who has not received drivers ed in Germany.
Actually, the Autobahn isn't a place for adults from the US, even if they've been driving for a long time. Driver training in the US is sorely lacking. When I was going through driver training, in the early/mid-90s, we were able to obtain permits at 15 yrs 8 mos. All we needed by our 16th birthdays was a behind-the-wheel course consisting of 7 hrs of driving, and 7hrs of observing. Most of the driving public probably doesn't go past the minimal training, and having driven for several years afterwards, doesn't make anyone any better.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Last Row Middle Seat
Actually, the Autobahn isn't a place for adults from the US, even if they've been driving for a long time. Driver training in the US is sorely lacking. When I was going through driver training, in the early/mid-90s, we were able to obtain permits at 15 yrs 8 mos. All we needed by our 16th birthdays was a behind-the-wheel course consisting of 7 hrs of driving, and 7hrs of observing. Most of the driving public probably doesn't go past the minimal training, and having driven for several years afterwards, doesn't make anyone any better.
I spent 20+ years driving California freeways before tackling a German Autobahn. In a car with a decent engine, it was no big deal; I had experience driving over 100+ MPH.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My USA driver ed course consisted of 30 classroom hours with a bad teacher (the wrestling coach, which can lead to jokes about what teenage boys do in cars), plus 6 hours in the car with the teacher (after I had my license in my case, but I needed to finish driver ed officially for the lower insurance rates), of which only a quarter of that (1.5 hours) was spent actually driving. The reality was that my parents taught me to drive and made sure that I had lots and lots of increasingly difficult practice sessions, both before and after getting the license.

In many ways, I really learned to drive later as an adult when living in Europe and doing a lot of driving in France, Germany, etc. I was careful to jump in gradually. Now I'm happy to drive just about anywhere in Western Europe, although I would never take a small light underpowered rental vehicle on the autobahn/autoroute/etc.; I always reserve a more expensive car in order to feel safe.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Judgment tends to improve further over and after several years. It’s why drivers’ insurance rates tend to drop the further a driver gets away from the teenage and early 20s years of age, despite people increasing their driving time and distances as they get into their late 20s and into their thirties. Well, there is the thing that the most accidents happen closer to home than further away from home, and I have to assume younger drivers are driving in and around their homes at a higher proportion of all their driving miles than drivers in say their 30s.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was going to propose Barcelona for the 16-year-old boy. It has everything: sports, history, architecture, cuisine, culture, beaches, and the kind of natural beauty that I was looking for at a beach when I was 16 years old. Basically, Barcelona is one of the coolest cities in the world so it's hard to go wrong there no matter what you like to do.

But it's an old bumped thread, and Tokyo and Singapore are great cities too. Next year, we're taking our two teenagers on a bit of a prolonged Spring Break - Singapore and Thailand are stops #1 and #2 .
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, National Emerald Club. Wegmans Shoppers Club.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My USA driver ed course consisted of 30 classroom hours with a bad teacher (the wrestling coach, which can lead to jokes about what teenage boys do in cars), plus 6 hours in the car with the teacher (after I had my license in my case, but I needed to finish driver ed officially for the lower insurance rates), of which only a quarter of that (1.5 hours) was spent actually driving. The reality was that my parents taught me to drive and made sure that I had lots and lots of increasingly difficult practice sessions, both before and after getting the license.

In many ways, I really learned to drive later as an adult when living in Europe and doing a lot of driving in France, Germany, etc. I was careful to jump in gradually. Now I'm happy to drive just about anywhere in Western Europe, although I would never take a small light underpowered rental vehicle on the autobahn/autoroute/etc.; I always reserve a more expensive car in order to feel safe.
I believe someone such as yourself is more of an exception, rather than someone representative of a typical American driver. The majority probably have no idea whether their cars are FWD, or RWD, much less any idea of the car's capability.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Judgment tends to improve further over and after several years. It’s why drivers’ insurance rates tend to drop the further a driver gets away from the teenage and early 20s years of age, despite people increasing their driving time and distances as they get into their late 20s and into their thirties. Well, there is the thing that the most accidents happen closer to home than further away from home, and I have to assume younger drivers are driving in and around their homes at a higher proportion of all their driving miles than drivers in say their 30s.
I agree, judgement improves with time, and experience, but that doesn't make American drivers any more prepared to drive on the autobahn. All that experience really means is that you're a little better at driving on US roads. People here need to stop calling, texting, eating, drinking, shaving, applying makeup, reading the paper, etc., while behind the wheel (I've seen all these behaviors).
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.