Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Meeting Friends When You Travel

Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA/WN

When I'm traveling, I often leave a city only to find out a few days later that one of my friends had been in that city at the same time as me.

Do you guys run into this problem often? If so, how do you currently solve it?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by swordfishii2071
When I'm traveling, I often leave a city only to find out a few days later that one of my friends had been in that city at the same time as me.

Do you guys run into this problem often? If so, how do you currently solve it?
All the time. Mostly we connect via Facebook. One of us sees the other.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:58 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
What's the problem? I share my itinerary with selected friends and we arrange to meet up where ever possible. It may be an airport lounge or a hotel lounge or even at a coffee shop.

Have even done an In & Out Burger run when meeting (fellow Australian) friends in LAX between flights.

Enjoy the opportunities to meet in different cities and by being respectful of each others time you can enjoy the catch up and have something to talk about when you next meet in what ever city/country you happen to be in at the same time.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:49 am

Yah it happen all the time but no issue for me.We all connected through facebook and spend quality of time.Its really fun.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: EK Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Thanks to Facebook when I went to Berlin for NYE in December I met up with my old German exchange penpal from school, 21 years after we last met - fantastic
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I suppose it's happened, but I don't really see it as a "problem". If I want to meet someone during a trip, I just contact them ahead of time.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Hvr
Have even done an In & Out Burger run when meeting (fellow Australian) friends in LAX between flights.
In&Out Burger is sooooo worth it!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA/WN
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I use Facebook as well, but a lot of times my friends or I don't end up seeing the post.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:41 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Some friends are worth more than others. If meeting up with them was really important- you would have known they were there already.

I do think FB will build a little map of friends that are nearby. I don't really ever look at this though. And if you're under 25, you probably don't look at FB at all.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Anyone use tripit? It's great for that purpose.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:44 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Yes to Tripit. Although the "TravelerMSY is preparing for a trip to XYZ City" messages do kind of blow up your feed.

And the dark side is what about the people you don't call when you visit their city? Now they know you're there!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:08 am

Plan ahead of time or check in on Face book. Contacting your friends individually as well while providing your dates and itinerary could help if knowledge of them being in that city a factor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.