Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Those who wipe down the seats and tray tables with anti-bacterial wipes...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those who wipe down the seats and tray tables with anti-bacterial wipes...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by floridastorm
Poor living habits like smoking, drinking to excess, being overweight and out of shape, not exercising, not eating right. All of these, individually or together, will compromise your immune system. Cancer is not a disease. It's a reaction to a compromised immune system. A disease is either a bacteria or virus. Cancer is neither. Cancer is a tumor that forms due to Cells becoming abnormal and growing into tissue. The immune system, if working properly, recognizes cancer cells and destroys the spread through issuing T-cells or white blood cells. Exercising regularly boosts the immune system which in turn fights off things like cancer.
Hmm...let's check cancers of young children. Not a lot of smoking, drinking to excess or being out of shape.

I am not going to digress on causes of cancer for the general population since I am not an oncologist. Suggest you do the same.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by floridastorm
Poor living habits like smoking, drinking to excess, being overweight and out of shape, not exercising, not eating right. All of these, individually or together, will compromise your immune system.
As will other "poor living habits" like having lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, which are treated with steroids, having an organ transplant, which then requires immunosuppressants, or having multiple sclerosis or sickle cell anemia. Really, those people should make wiser choices.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA-Million Miles++, Pan Am, Eastern, Asia Miles, True Blue, IHG Spire, Emirates, APEC & Global Entry
Originally Posted by cbn42
So what? An average aircraft is probably cleaned more often than most other places you visit regularly. Yes, aircraft and hotels have tons of bacteria, like most other surfaces you come into contact with. It's not an operating theater.

That's not how germs work. It has nothing to do with your "resistance" and everything to do with the bacteria's resistance to treatment.

I already did. He and I laughed about the "tin-foil hatters" who carry wipes around.

How can you be so sure it's 100% "mild" and "child-safe", and there's "no chance" of superbug mutations? Because the manufacturer's website said so? Well... it must be true then!

Actions speak louder than words.
EPA & FDA verified. Do a little research before you scatter your scorn.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Cyllabus
EPA & FDA verified. Do a little research before you scatter your scorn.
Do you have any idea what EPA and FDA "verified" actually mean? The FDA does not actually test products, they just look over test results submitted by the manufacturers. Hundreds of products are recalled every year in the US after receiving FDA approval to be put on the market. FDA verified means nothing more than "this product isn't severely hazardous, and might provide benefits of some sort". I'm not familiar with what the EPA does, but I doubt their standards are much different.

However, if you feel that your "research" (which likely consisted of a Google search leading to the manufacturer's website) is sufficient to establish the safety of these products, then feel free to believe what you wish.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:09 pm

If you think about it, if someone at a restaurant sneezes, they might sneeze on the drink menu, or the ketchup bottle, or the napkin holder. Do you wipe those down too? You sound exactly like a germophobe to me.
Whatever, dude. you have your axe to grind, and it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says.

Infected surface to face touching is the primary method of transmission of infectious agents. Since I don't have the option of washing my hands at my seat, and since I can't afford the risk of getting sick on a work trip, I'll take a simple step to do some basic cleaning.

Do as you wish, but don't cast aspersions on people who don't agree with your point of view.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:43 am

Nope, nothing wrong with that. The antibacterial agents (triclosan and triclocarban) are the ones that result in stronger bacteria. Use soap and alcohol-based wipes all you want.

If you think about it, if someone at a restaurant sneezes, they might sneeze on the drink menu, or the ketchup bottle, or the napkin holder. Do you wipe those down too? You sound exactly like a germophobe to me.

Unless you are a doctor who is flying somewhere to perform a surgery or something like that, I don't see how this is an appropriate time and place for antibacterial agents.

These things really should be made available by prescription only.
Good grief, everyone's an MD! I always wipe down my armrests, tray, and seat belt. I don't seem to catch anything when traveling...I only catch the crap my family brings home to me when NOT traveling. But if you only saw how black the wipes are after I've wiped down my seat area. It's pretty disgusting. I don't care so much about the cold and flu germs...those are in the air as well. I would just prefer not to ingest whatever nastiness is on that seat. Use your imagination. There are plenty of anecdotes on this site about nasty stuff going on during flights. Toenail clipping, babies getting diapers changed, nose picking. GROSS. I also wash my hands religiously and use hand sanitizer before eating outside the house.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Hmm...let's check cancers of young children. Not a lot of smoking, drinking to excess or being out of shape.

I am not going to digress on causes of cancer for the general population since I am not an oncologist. Suggest you do the same.
I DO work in oncology, and part of my job requires review of patient medical records. Unfortunately, common denominators are that the vast majority of the patients I see have been smokers at one time in their life, or were exposed to toxins of some kind at some point. The rest have a poor health history...chronic illnesses, etc. Very few are of the highly active, all-natural, healthy type. Just my observations.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
If it makes people feel better to wipe down the seat, tray and armrests then they should carry on and ignore any criticism.

Personally I don't believe it helps and isn't something I do but if it helps make your flight better then I won't criticize.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
I DO work in oncology, and part of my job requires review of patient medical records. Unfortunately, common denominators are that the vast majority of the patients I see have been smokers at one time in their life, or were exposed to toxins of some kind at some point. The rest have a poor health history...chronic illnesses, etc. Very few are of the highly active, all-natural, healthy type. Just my observations.
Truly...just out of curiosity...what about those that have had relatives that have passed away from the same disease. Are they more apt to be able to avoid cancer if they live a healthier lifestyle. My understanding it that if this is the case, it is genetics. I know a family where two out of the four sisters have been diagnosed and treated for cancer and they are health nuts.

When I go to the doctors office, they continually are using an antibacterial on their hands before examining me. Why would that be? Could it be because they are seeing several people and do not want to spread any germs. If so, why would it not be ok for the rest of us, if we are being exposed to many germs.

If you are a doctor I would be interested in your comments. Or do you just review records....

Last edited by Jane42; Feb 6, 2015 at 8:00 am
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Badenoch
If it makes people feel better to wipe down the seat, tray and armrests then they should carry on and ignore any criticism.

Personally I don't believe it helps and isn't something I do but if it helps make your flight better then I won't criticize.
I think they should feel free to wipe down with basic wet wipes or alcohol wipes, but please stop using anti-bacterial wipes.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
There's an old British saying "Eat a peck of dirt before you die." Basically it doesn't mean go out and shove your face in the garden, it's to do with building the body's immune system. It seems that the cleaner and more antiseptic we keep our homes/children/workplace the quicker we get ill when anything comes along, like an airborne nasty. It makes total sense to take precautions and wipe surfaces that we have to touch which have already been touched by goodness knows who or what but everything in proportion. An alcohol wipe will clean a surface as well as a nuclearmicrobiotic one which is all you need - a clean surface without upsetting any "micro balances." Frankly I'm more concerned with what gets on my clothes on an aircraft.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:58 pm

Seems like some here don't wash their hands after using the toilet...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by sunnyjl
Good grief, everyone's an MD! I always wipe down my armrests, tray, and seat belt. I don't seem to catch anything when traveling...I only catch the crap my family brings home to me when NOT traveling. But if you only saw how black the wipes are after I've wiped down my seat area. It's pretty disgusting. I don't care so much about the cold and flu germs...those are in the air as well. I would just prefer not to ingest whatever nastiness is on that seat. Use your imagination. There are plenty of anecdotes on this site about nasty stuff going on during flights. Toenail clipping, babies getting diapers changed, nose picking. GROSS. I also wash my hands religiously and use hand sanitizer before eating outside the house.
I agree!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
If you think about it, if someone at a restaurant sneezes, they might sneeze on the drink menu, or the ketchup bottle, or the napkin holder. Do you wipe those down too?
Good point. That's why I've taken to washing my hands *after* ordering at a restaurant.

I still don't always remember to wipe down the hard surfaces at my seat, but I'm working on establishing the habit. I usually have some sort of hand wipe from a restaurant in my purse.

I see myself getting more cautious with time; perhaps that's an instinct connected to aging. My immune system probably isn't as robust as it was 20 years ago.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air NZ Airpoints
I ate worms and dirt out of the garden as a baby.

I will also carry wet wipes on my flight next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.