Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Those who wipe down the seats and tray tables with anti-bacterial wipes...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Those who wipe down the seats and tray tables with anti-bacterial wipes...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Wow, interesting stuff, and makes sense. So, dear everyone: Stop with the wipes!
Stop using antibacterial wipes (and soap). Keep using alcohol wipes. And it doesn't hurt to keep some on hand in case you cut yourself. So much MRSA floating around everywhere, yes, even on airplanes.

Sometimes a healthy (not obsessive) dose of paranoia is good. Unfortunately, the production and marketing of the antibacterial products is long-term harmful for everyone.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by WillTravel
There wouldn't be anything wrong with a standard cleaning wipe or an alcohol wipe, though, I would think, so far as superbugs?
Nope, nothing wrong with that. The antibacterial agents (triclosan and triclocarban) are the ones that result in stronger bacteria. Use soap and alcohol-based wipes all you want.

Originally Posted by pilotalan
Again, former medic and cop here. I am not a germophobe.
I wipe down the armrests and tray table. If you think about it, if someone in a seat sneezes, they sneeze directly onto the tray table.
If you think about it, if someone at a restaurant sneezes, they might sneeze on the drink menu, or the ketchup bottle, or the napkin holder. Do you wipe those down too? You sound exactly like a germophobe to me.

Originally Posted by pilotalan
But, there is a time and place for using antiseptic use, and this is one.
Unless you are a doctor who is flying somewhere to perform a surgery or something like that, I don't see how this is an appropriate time and place for antibacterial agents.

These things really should be made available by prescription only.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm
Your body is attacked by millions of microbes every 24 hours. Your immune system fights off these microbes unless your immune system is compromised by your poor living habits. Since 99% of viruses and bacteria are transmitted from your hands to your nose and mouth it should only be necessary to wipe your hands with antiseptic wipes. You would have to wipe down every part of the plane continuously, including the passengers, to make the plane germ free. Kind of absurd.
Where in heaven's name do you get that the only way a person's immune system is compromised is by poor living habits?!?! There are a variety of reasons - and none having to do with poor living habits. Possibly illness, treatment for an illness, etc.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:49 pm

I wipe down. Just like I wipe down at home or at work. I like my area neat and clean. I like a clean smell and it makes me feel good.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA-Million Miles++, Pan Am, Eastern, Asia Miles, True Blue, IHG Spire, Emirates, APEC & Global Entry
Wipeout!

There are many reports about the lack of aircraft cleaning, and the basically filthy surfaces that result. Ditto hotel rooms. It's called MASS transit, ya know.

Don't worry about getting your quota of germs to keep up your "resistance." You will. But in travel, we're talking about unusually highly trafficked environments, often small and contained, filled with sick people.

A little common sense dictates a quick wipe-down. Ask your doc.

BTW-- there's one product that is 100% kill, mild and child-safe. No mersa escape it, and there's no chance of superbug mutations. It's called Puregreen 24. Google it, check it out on Amazon and the NY Times.

My aircraft surfaces get a quick wipe with it, as do my hotel knobs, tub and remotes. And please don't go barefoot on old hotel room carpets.

I'm not a germophobe-- I don't think about it much. Nor do I want to get sick on 15 day trips. Seems sensible to take this small precaution.

YMMV.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:28 pm

Wear a mask too(what with all that recirculated air) and NEVER sit on the toilet seat!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cyllabus
There are many reports about the lack of aircraft cleaning, and the basically filthy surfaces that result. Ditto hotel rooms. It's called MASS transit, ya know.

Don't worry about getting your quota of germs to keep up your "resistance." You will. But in travel, we're talking about unusually highly trafficked environments, often small and contained, filled with sick people.

BTW-- there's one product that is 100% kill, mild and child-safe. No mersa escape it, and there's no chance of superbug mutations. It's called Puregreen 24. Google it, check it out on Amazon and the NY Times.

My aircraft surfaces get a quick wipe with it, as do my hotel knobs, tub and remotes. And please don't go barefoot on old hotel room carpets.

I'm not a germophobe-- I don't think about it much. Nor do I want to get sick on 15 day trips. Seems sensible to take this small precaution.

YMMV.
Well said.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

So what? An average aircraft is probably cleaned more often than most other places you visit regularly. Yes, aircraft and hotels have tons of bacteria, like most other surfaces you come into contact with. It's not an operating theater.

Don't worry about getting your quota of germs to keep up your "resistance." You will.
That's not how germs work. It has nothing to do with your "resistance" and everything to do with the bacteria's resistance to treatment.

I already did. He and I laughed about the "tin-foil hatters" who carry wipes around.

How can you be so sure it's 100% "mild" and "child-safe", and there's "no chance" of superbug mutations? Because the manufacturer's website said so? Well... it must be true then!

I'm not a germophobe--
Actions speak louder than words.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I never wipe down my seat or tray table, or use antibacterial wipes or hand sanitizer or anything of the sort. In fact the only time I wash my hands is after I use the restroom.

Using all that stuff is counter productive. The human body needs to regularly be exposed to germs to keep the immune system active, sort of like exersize.

About once a year I will get sick allergies wise where I will have a runny nose and headache, sneezing for a day or two, then I am fine. About once every 4-5 years I will get sick with the flu where I am completely out for a week or so. My immune system is doing its job because I am always exposed to germs.

Does anyone wipe down the keyboard or screen they are using to type on flyertalk? I guarantee those surfaces contain more germs than a tray table.
you said it better than I could. interestingly enough, my SIL is a NUTJOB with sanitizers, and gets more colds that anyone I know. I say let the germs in!!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I never like touching dirty money, nasty $100.00 bills....
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by mikekelley
I would love some sort of scientific answer on this
Per your request:

"Kiril Vaglenov, a graduate student in Auburn's Department of Biological Sciences, conducted a two-year study—funded through the Federal Aviation Administration’s Airliner Cabin Environmental Research Center—to determine how long E. coli O157:H7 and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, would survive on commonly touched surfaces under typical airplane conditions. A major airline carrier supplied researchers with material from armrests, plastic tray tables, seat-pocket cloth, window shades and metal toilet buttons."

"MRSA survived the longest—168 hours—on material from the seat-back pocket, while E. coli O157:H7 lived for 96 hours on the material from the armrest."

"Vaglenov said future steps include exploring effective disinfecting procedures and testing other surfaces and materials that have antimicrobial properties to determine if they can help reduce health risks."

Followed by:

"MRSA skin infections can occur anywhere. However, some settings have factors that make it easier for MRSA to be transmitted. These factors, referred to as the 5 C's, are as follows: Crowding, frequent skin-to-skin Contact, Compromised skin (i.e., cuts or abrasions), Contaminated items and surfaces, and lack of Cleanliness."

Then by:

"Environmental surfaces contaminated with pathogens can be sources of indirect transmission, and cleaning and disinfection are common interventions focused on reducing contamination levels. We determined the efficacy of cleaning and disinfection procedures for reducing contamination by noroviruses, rotavirus, poliovirus, parechovirus, adenovirus, influenza virus, Staphylococcus aureus, and Salmonella enterica from artificially contaminated stainless steel surfaces. After a single wipe with water, liquid soap, or 250-ppm free chlorine solution, the numbers of infective viruses and bacteria were reduced by 1 log10 for poliovirus and close to 4 log10 for influenza virus."

I could post more, but I don't think most people will have even wanted to read through all the quotes or links above. I'm involved in direct patient care in healthcare facilities, so I'm well aware of the risks of transmission for various infectious agents; I've never been very proactive on flights, but since I'm traveling more nowadays, I will take more precautions. I've had the chance to observe "grosser and grosser" habits of people on flights, so...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
I never like touching dirty money, nasty $100.00 bills....
Wear gloves
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:54 pm

I do not think using wipes on a plane is going to cause me more problems because I am not exposing myself to all of those lovely germs. I am sure that I am exposed every day to germs - but using a tray table and sitting in a seat that many others have used it just makes sense that you may want to clean your area up a little. Especially before eating.

Does nobody wipe their tables at home? Clean their kitchen counters. If someone in my home has the flu, I do take extra measures not to catch it - it just makes sense.

Do you wash your hands after using the restroom? If so, how do you know the person that just sat in your seat and used your tray table did the same thing?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jane42
Where in heaven's name do you get that the only way a person's immune system is compromised is by poor living habits?!?! There are a variety of reasons - and none having to do with poor living habits. Possibly illness, treatment for an illness, etc.
Poor living habits like smoking, drinking to excess, being overweight and out of shape, not exercising, not eating right. All of these, individually or together, will compromise your immune system. Cancer is not a disease. It's a reaction to a compromised immune system. A disease is either a bacteria or virus. Cancer is neither. Cancer is a tumor that forms due to Cells becoming abnormal and growing into tissue. The immune system, if working properly, recognizes cancer cells and destroys the spread through issuing T-cells or white blood cells. Exercising regularly boosts the immune system which in turn fights off things like cancer.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm
Poor living habits like smoking, drinking to excess, being overweight and out of shape, not exercising, not eating right. All of these, individually or together, will compromise your immune system. Cancer is not a disease. It's a reaction to a compromised immune system. A disease is either a bacteria or virus. Cancer is neither. Cancer is a tumor that forms due to Cells becoming abnormal and growing into tissue. The immune system, if working properly, recognizes cancer cells and destroys the spread through issuing T-cells or white blood cells. Exercising regularly boosts the immune system which in turn fights off things like cancer.
Gosh, I wish I had known this before I was diagnosed with cancer this year....and lost my aunt and brother to the same cancer...which to me says it is genetic and not so much due to other reasons. Having just finished 9 months of chemo and radiation, I am not too keen on picking up anything at this point - sick of being sick.

If you could give me your credentials, I may feel better about taking this information more seriously.

Edited to say: Sorry for the rant - but I still say that cleaning up an area that has been used by those unknown to you is not a bad idea and, I don't believe, detrimental to your health. Not sure why some people have such a problem with it.

Last edited by Jane42; Feb 4, 2015 at 4:11 pm Reason: calmed down a bit....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.