Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Shouldn't airports shorten their names?

Old Jan 17, 15, 9:41 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Ber2dca View Post
All this hoopla about Reagan yet of course JFK and La Guardia are both named after politicians along with dozens of other airports.

Little Rock's airport is actually the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport. I didn't know that but then it's difficult to imagine myself going to Little Rock any time soon. Wichita apparently is the Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport. Charlotte Douglas is named after a former city politician, same with Cleveland Hopkins. Lubbock Preston Smith is named after a former governor.

It's a pretty common thing to do, of course, to name public buildings and facilities after politicians, whether it's high schools, bridges, highways, airports or stadiums in the old days. The acceptance generally comes with time it seems, nobody seems to object to entire states, counties and cities being named after 18th/19th century luminaries. And while some of those were grand figures of world history and national heroes, thus perhaps understandably immortalized, others were a lot less noteworthy.

I think the issue with Reagan as a name for DCA is that it has a good chance to stick in public parlance which annoys people who didn't like Reagan politically. These kinds of names always have a decent chance to stick in multi-airport cities. And I wouldn't even go and talk about "tourons" given that the D.C. area is a place full of transplants, expats and immigrants.
What was wrong with it being named after George Washington, who lived nearby?
Old Jan 17, 15, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Balan's Frequent Eater, Trying to convince my local to offer a reward program
Given how much I despise the corporate rebranding of stadiums, I don't particularly care what an airport is called as long as its name isn't going to change every few years as cannibalistic corporations devour each other. I'm happy to say Lindbergh Field to older San Diegans, 'the airport' to younger folk and SAN when on FT. Or Logan or Sea-Tac or O'Hare, as appropriate. (Does it bug anyone else that when typing SAN in origin or destination fields on many airport sites, the airport with the actual code SAN is not the top choice? Or is that only me?)

I'm quite content when I see my Atlantan friends 'check in' on Facebook with a photo of a glass of bubbly at the HOTlanta GA Hartsfield-Latoya-Jackson Intergalactic Space- and Air-station-port. It makes the latent historian in me happy to know that not caring enough right now to learn about a person for whom something was named makes no difference, as I'll get frequent-ish reminders throughout my lifetime to do so if I'm ever so inclined.
Old Jan 17, 15, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Agreed the city name should be part of the airport name.
I'd argue should be sufficient.
What's wrong with just "Atlanta Airport?"
Why does the airport generally have to be renamed "honoring" some politician in most cases?
At least the renamed baseball and football stadiums get a corporate name because someone pays for them. If you wanted to charge $10million for a corporate sponsorship of an airport (and therefore reduce ticket prices for passengers), I'd be all for it. But to have the airport renamed for some politician, GMAFB.
Old Jan 17, 15, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Friendship would be fine, or "Baltimore" would be fine. When I've used it for access to DC, I've found it dreadful. When I've used it for access to Baltimore, it's great. Nothing wrong with the airport itself: just that it's nowhere near Washington D.C.

By the same token, I'd be fine if they renamed IAD to Chantilly Airport. That place is just as bad as BWI when it comes to getting into DC proper...

I also liked the days when National was just National. That was clean and easy.
BWI and IAD are as close to DC as many other airports are to the cities they have in their names. I found IAD more remote in terms of transportation than was BWI. BWI "nowhere near" DC? Well, it is, and has both Baltimore and Washington in its name (unlike Washington Dulles). When I lived in Silver Spring, Maryland, a few meters from the DC line, BWI was the easiest airport to drive to. You can still call National Airport just that (or just use DCA). And, of course, it's on the Virginia of the Potomac, so maybe it should be called the Alexandria (VA) Airport. If a tourist can't find out where an airport is, too bad. And the closest airport isn't always the easiest to use, and certainly not the easiest to get to from far away.
Old Jan 17, 15, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
The one near me I can't stand is GSO which is freqently referred to as the Piedmont Triad International Airport or PTI. In fact, if you want to search for a hotel near it on the Choice Hotels website, it doesn't recognize GSO, only PTI.

I get it, you serve three communities, but calm down, you're a tertiary regional airport...deal with it.
Well, the airport authority tried to change the airport code many years ago from GSO to something that incorporated Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem. The FAA did not allow it...so using PTI informally is the next best option. Like RDU, the goal is for people to refer to it that way since Greensboro is not the only primary city it serves. In fact, the airport is just as close to High Point as it is to GSO.

It is annoying, agreed, especially since GSO can easily be mistaken for GSP if an agent types the code in wrong when printing bag tags or something! Have seen that a couple of times and caught it just in time.
Old Jan 17, 15, 6:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by pk45cu View Post
EWR and DCA were named that way for purely political reasons.[/url])
Originally Posted by Ber2dca View Post
All this hoopla about Reagan yet of course JFK and La Guardia are both named after politicians along with dozens of other airports.
Yet no one has mentioned the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport named (by the Bozos in JNU) after Alaska's most famous, longest serving crook, errr......Senator.

Us locals just call it "The Airport".

Last edited by BOB W; Jan 17, 15 at 6:27 pm
Old Jan 17, 15, 7:42 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Well, the airport authority tried to change the airport code many years ago from GSO to something that incorporated Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem. The FAA did not allow it...so using PTI informally is the next best option. Like RDU, the goal is for people to refer to it that way since Greensboro is not the only primary city it serves. In fact, the airport is just as close to High Point as it is to GSO.

It is annoying, agreed, especially since GSO can easily be mistaken for GSP if an agent types the code in wrong when printing bag tags or something! Have seen that a couple of times and caught it just in time.
Agreed. My ire is reserved for airport operators who like to refer to their facilities using three letters that aren't the IATA code. As has been mentioned before upthread, Denver is DEN and not DIA, and Kansas City is MCI and not KCI. I've been confused on trips to both of those airports, wondering if I was booking a hotel room or rental car at the wrong place, or going to the wrong airport.

PKB in Parkersburg, WV used to be to my recollection the Parkersburg Airport - Gil Robb Wilson Field. Now it's the "Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport", or worse, the "MOV Regional Airport" and its website URL is flymov.com. Another confusing one.
Old Jan 17, 15, 7:56 pm

Airport initials ought not to be obscure. ATL is not obscure. LAX is not obscure. SDF is obscure because who the heck knows or cares that the Louisville Airport is named after some cat named Standiford? The initials ought to stand for the location.
Old Jan 17, 15, 8:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
Airport initials ought not to be obscure. ATL is not obscure. LAX is not obscure. SDF is obscure because who the heck knows or cares that the Louisville Airport is named after some cat named Standiford? The initials ought to stand for the location.
But I like the fact that ORD is because it was built in what used to be an ORcharD.
Old Jan 17, 15, 9:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
Sometimes the meaning of the original location gets a bit lost over time. It was perfectly logical to use MCO for Orlando McCoy Field in the early 1970s. And once an airport gets a code, it's nearly impossible to change it. The only reason why Panama City, Florida was able to change from PFN to ECP in 2010 was that they literally built an entire new airport across the bay from the old PFN and shifted all flight services services there.

VPS is Valpariaso, Florida, population 5,200. It is the closest civilian unit of government to the runways at Eglin AFB, which are used for scheduled commercial civilian air service through a landing slot lease agreement with Okaloosa County. So while technically it has a perfectly logical geographic name, the pointer goes to a place that only locals have ever really heard of compared to Destin or Ft. Walton Beach, which are at least regional beach destinations.

Last edited by beachmouse; Jan 17, 15 at 9:49 pm
Old Jan 17, 15, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Manchester Boston Regional Airport

It's the third closest airport to Boston, behind Boston (Logan) which is actually in Boston, and Providence RI, which is actually linked to Boston by (somewhat inconvenient) train service. I also note that PVD is about to get International service with a biweekly direct to FRA on Condor. Lets see if they add Int'l to the name; not yet. The website seems to have shortened it to Green (from TF Green, yet another famous person who did... something... sometime... who knows.)

Manchester "Boston" is linked to Boston by daily bus service. I think they used the addition of Boston to the airport's name to justify jacking parking prices to levels almost equal to the airport that is actually in Boston.
Old Jan 17, 15, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Box5 View Post
To what end?
Old Jan 17, 15, 11:07 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by ludocdoc View Post
Manchester "Boston" is linked to Boston by daily bus service. I think they used the addition of Boston to the airport's name to justify jacking parking prices to levels almost equal to the airport that is actually in Boston.
Many airports do this: Manchester-Boston, LA/Ontario, and so on. I think it's a rather sneaky tactic that is designed to mislead people. If someone isn't familiar with the area and is doing a search for flights, they might think that Manchester is a neighborhood in/near Boston, and book their flight there, only to later find out that it's going to cost them a lot of time and money to actually get to Boston.

When multiple airports have the name "Boston" in them, there is no way of figuring out which one is actually in the city unless you take the time to research it. The MHT airport authority is counting on people being lazy. We frequent fliers know better, but many people don't.
Old Jan 17, 15, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
Many airports do this: Manchester-Boston, LA/Ontario, and so on. I think it's a rather sneaky tactic that is designed to mislead people. If someone isn't familiar with the area and is doing a search for flights, they might think that Manchester is a neighborhood in/near Boston, and book their flight there, only to later find out that it's going to cost them a lot of time and money to actually get to Boston.

When multiple airports have the name "Boston" in them, there is no way of figuring out which one is actually in the city unless you take the time to research it. The MHT airport authority is counting on people being lazy. We frequent fliers know better, but many people don't.
E-xactly.
Old Jan 18, 15, 1:57 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
YYZ-DAY would be a domestic flight on the DAY end of things. We have that one at MCI as well: one Jazz flight a day to/from YYZ. It uses a regular United gate.

The international facilities at MCI are used for seasonal Mexico charters. I see them advertised around here semi-often - Cancun and PVR spring break packages - I think they use Frontier metal. (I've seen a Frontier A320 parked down there at the international gate anyway...)
Yes, those are Frontier planes, with the packages sold by something called "Apple Vacations".

Back when US Airways was in Star Alliance, I used to use that daily YYZ flight. I've also done the daily YYZ out of STL (and F9/"Apple" and SY have seasonal non-preclearance service to Mexico and Jamaica).

As a kid, CRW was my home airport; I don't recall it ever calling itself "international", but a couple times I noticed a door labeled as a customs office; unsure if it's actually usable in case of international flight.

Later on I was based in Roanoke, Virginia, where ROA makes a point of calling itself a "Regional" airport.

Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post

Also known as the Ryanair business plan.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: