Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to fly from Detroit to LHR, CDG, AMS, FCO, or FRA in August

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:47 am
Original Poster

I'm not much of a mileage runner, I'm just looking to get to any of the London, Paris, Frankfurt, Rome, or Amsterdam cities from Detroit in the month of August. Those are the only nonstop flights from DTW to Europe and from there I will head to TGD.

However, all of those flights are extremely expensive and I am hoping some of you could offer advice on how to find the cheapest price in there? I do my searches on ITA and I also use secretflying.com to discover cheap rates but I have yet to find anything.

Are there other blogs that post cheap rates from midwest cities to Europe?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

If you are looking for cheaper fares to Europe, do not restrict your search to nonstop flights.

And have you priced a ticket from DTW to TGD?

Other options include checking "opaque" fares on hotwire.com, and/or utilizing the "name your own price" bidding feature on priceline.com. Make sure you understand how these two options work before purchasing anything.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

Have you looked at Kayak and set a fare search to notify you about price changes?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
If you don't absolutely have to fly out of DTW, cheaper fares can usually be found departing from Chicago or Toronto. (Especially YYZ) Both are pretty easy to get to from Detroit.

August is still high season to Europe do don't expect to find anthing really cheap.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL GM

YYZ is definitely cheaper on this route. Looking at random dates in August for DTW TGD and YYZ TGD and it shows around $1250 out of Toronto.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
try Windsor as an alternative to DTW

Last summer I had to fly my son to BCN from Southeastern Michigan. DTW fares were high, ORD was only a little better. But Windsor, a tiny airport maybe 15 minutes from the Detroit border crossings, gave us access to Air Canada fare sales including a one stop through Toronto. There were several other people that crossed the border for the same reason that day -- the agent at customs driving back into the US even asked me if I was traveling with the other cars that had just come through his lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.