Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Several years ago I had a last minute flight on LH, from FRA-ATL. Wound up way in the back, middle seat.

When I made my way to the seat there was an elderly couple, with one of them in my seat. The FA asked if I would mind moving forward to a window seat, which is what I prefer. OK, that is a win-win.

I get to my new seat and there sits a person with a boarding pass for that seat.

I continue to move forward, against the flow of boarding pax, to the boarding door, and tell the FA what has happened. She disappears and a couple minutes comes back to me with a new seat.

And that is how I flew my first long haul in J.
YAY! ^

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Would I switch a good seat for a worse seat? As my old boss used to say "the answer is 'money" now what was the question again?"
+1

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
Don't you mean $150? Supply and demand, my friend. The middle man has to make it worth his while, too.

That being said, as a mom of kids, my answer is MAYBE, leaning toward no. The reason I'm leaning toward no is because most of my flying is 10+ hour flights. I take very few short flights. On a short flight, I'd probably help out, but hell will freeze over before I'll get stuck in the middle for 10+ hours, especially since I travel with my own kids and move heaven and earth to make sure we're all together--choosing flights with enough seating assignments open; checking and re-checking; trying to avoid flights with the dreaded 3-seat configurations [we are a group of 4] whenever humanly possible [not always possible].

I've had some pretty audacious seat requests back in my more frequent flying days.
Bless you.

Originally Posted by geirfugl
For some unbelievably strange reason Im newer asked to give up a midle seat to somebody who wants to sit with her husband in the midle rather than the aisle bcs they did not bother to choose(on airlines that DO NOT charge),for some unfathomable reason Im frequently asked to give up my aisle to somebody who wants to sit with her husband in the aisle rather than in a middle(its ALWAYS the woman doing the asking),how CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE ??
So, so naive. 😇
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
I was on a flight home around thanksgiving and was then upgraded to first. My bag was up already and I was comfortable. I was so happy to go home (I was on standby) I offered my seat to the lady next to me. Half way on the flight home, I got the following note handed to me by the FA.

My heart went out to her, and her note made me feel good about myself. She waited for me to get off the flight and she and I hugged, as weird as that sounds. Totally out of character on my part, LOL.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
I was on a flight home around thanksgiving and was then upgraded to first. My bag was up already and I was comfortable. I was so happy to go home (I was on standby) I offered my seat to the lady next to me. Half way on the flight home, I got the following note handed to me by the FA.

My heart went out to her, and her note made me feel good about myself. She waited for me to get off the flight and she and I hugged, as weird as that sounds. Totally out of character on my part, LOL.
Welcome to Flyertalk, jeffjohnvol; Thank you for sharing this very nice message. Nice to hear stories of people reaching out to others.
Look forward to your future posts on FT and the TravelBuzz Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:32 pm

That made me cry, jeffjohnvol - what a difference you made in this woman's life and how thoughtful of her to let you know.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Wow, you picked the right person to give your upgrade to - best first post ever, both you and 3A are seriously classy people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.