Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Happening now: All flights everywhere ~20% off if bought in Rubles.!

Happening now: All flights everywhere ~20% off if bought in Rubles.!

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keitherson
A bit of a risky arbitrage because you don't know what exchange rate is used. Sometimes they use the settled exchange rate of the day before the transaction for today's transactions.
Yeah, the idea is brilliant: at least in theory. I do finance stuff all day and have been besieged with ruble talk -- but I never thought to try to use the collapse to find discount airfares. The problem is determining the conversion rate from your credit card. I assume you're buying tickets for, say, 10,000 rubles. But you won't know what that will translate to on your credit card bill. Seems risky.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, the idea is brilliant: at least in theory. I do finance stuff all day and have been besieged with ruble talk -- but I never thought to try to use the collapse to find discount airfares. The problem is determining the conversion rate from your credit card. I assume you're buying tickets for, say, 10,000 rubles. But you won't know what that will translate to on your credit card bill. Seems risky.
Yeah but then again, if you were going to buy the ticket anyways, why not? It's very unlikely that you would lose money, it's just a matter of how big a discount
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm trying this anywayanyday site and not coming up with any discount, it was 7$ cheaper using rubles, but odds are that's just cuz i'm rounding a bit.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Happening now: All flights everywhere ~20% off!

You say deal, I say great way to get your credit card account closed.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:13 pm

Anyone tried booking anything with this?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Hi TProphet- Thanks for participating in the Mileage Run forum. Our guidelines reserve this forum for straightforward postings of mileage runs found and steer other topics related to mileage running toward the Mileage Run Discussion forum.

However, I don't think this topic is actually related to mileage running at all so I will move this to the Travel Buzz forum, and I encourage you and others to follow the discussion there.

-18sas
Moderator, Mileage Run forum
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: FB Gold, CC Gold, Accor Platinum
It seems they fixed it by just raising all prices thorougly. For a KLM ticket within Europe that costs 130 on KLM.com, the website charges 193.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:17 am

Isn't this what people in Venezuela did when their economy collapsed in order to keep their money from deflating?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by dubbdc
be careful here. from flyerguide.com, "The exchange rate applied to a transaction is usually the rate on the transaction posting date, which can be up to 10 days after the actual transaction date".
Sure, but unless the ruble suddenly decides to start un-collapsing, the exchange rate 10 days from now is likely to be even more in your favor than it is right now.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Sure, but unless the ruble suddenly decides to start un-collapsing, the exchange rate 10 days from now is likely to be even more in your favor than it is right now.
This assumes that the government doesn't intervene.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This assumes that the government doesn't intervene.
To be fair there isn't much they can do at this point that won't be desastrous for their economy at least in the short term. 10 days is a pretty small time-frame...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal
the ruble has recovered more than 10% today. so anyone who booked at yesterday's rate, with transactions typically posted the next day or two, will be paying 10% more than they thought.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I did this myself through a Russian OTA and paid with an HSBC MasterCard. The conversion happens immediately when your transaction is authorized, it's rare that banks fiddle with the rate afterwards. You won't know the rate used until it hits your card. My savings was about 20%, but it should have been around 25% based on the actual exchange rate in play at the time.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:12 pm

good job out of you 31b! now if there is free cancellation and if it was that LAX-SJO route that you bought. you may be able to cancel at a favorable exchange rate, and rebook that route that went on sale today. maybe make a hundred bucks or more on the deal. ymmv.

also thanks for your review of the Greenwich Inn, I was considering that orbitz deal for SantaCon last Sat. happy travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.