Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the silliest/simplest/most frivolous reason you have ever traveled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the silliest/simplest/most frivolous reason you have ever traveled?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Because I'm cold.

I've been doing day trip from NYC to Florida in the winter to get a day of sun... going next weekend again.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew to Michigan in 2008 because a movie my brother and I liked (Requiem for a Dream) was being shown at a midnight showing at the Michigan Theater.

I've flown one way places a few times to keep people company who were on a road trip.

And of course there's Mileage Running where there's no reason at all
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I wanted a Guinness in Dublin so grabbed a friend and we flew from NYC to get one
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA
Back when our company paid for travel, in the days when laptops were relatively rare, they would regularly fly one of my team from STL, DTW, or SFO to Dallas to hook up the PC and show a PowerPoint presentation through one of the RGB three-lens projectors, and fly back that evening.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Wink

Phx-JFK or somewhere else north on a weekend in mid august to go away from the heat - Location determined sometimes only based on weather. Or a weekend trip to Vegas or Portland or San Francisco - simply because I don't feel like staying home for the weekend.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
DOH to DXB to find a decent prostitue.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Every 6 weeks SIN-France to visit my 18 yr old son living in our apt and going to med school. I spoil and feed the cats, cook my son dinner for 6 weeks, and make sure he is not using our "retirement" as a base for every party in Lyon.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Traveling just for ticking off countries of the UN list.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
HKG to ORD for a dinner with our Audit Committee to help the CFO just in case "they asked any technical questions" about a project he sponsored and I was running.

In Chicago for about 12 hours and we never mentioned the project once!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:01 pm

Flew the very long route from Dublin to Toronto via Seoul and Tokyo when it was allowed with Aeroplan - just so I could have dinner with old friends in those cities and to fly Lufthansa and ANA first class again.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:09 pm

1) not frivolous but frankly pointless...was sent on a PHX-LAX-SIN-MNL trip for a single meeting in MNL. Landed in SIN at some ungodly early hour with an email that went something like this

"[avs] meeting is canceled sorry for the trouble, booked you a ticket back in the afternoon ~Boss"

If I remember correctly I was at SIN for about 6 hours before turning right around and coming back.

2) During graduate school I was really struggling to find time and concentration to work on my thesis. I dumped a large chunk of my hard earned frequent flyer miles on a C ticket and flew ROC-IAD-NRT spent about 8 hrs in the NRT lounge and then went back by (if my memory serves) ORD. With a laptop, no internet service, no distractions, and surrounded by free food and drink I ended up writing about 2/3rd of my thesis in about 48hrs.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Late 80's in Toronto. At the usual Friday afternoon decompression session with some colleagues the conversation drifted to how much better the bars were in Montreal and that they stayed open later. A plan formed, cabs were hailed to the airport, tickets purchased and 8 of us were drinking on St. Laurent until the wee small hours. Caught the first flight back to Toronto the next morning.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I was at Disney World in Florida and went to Epcot Center and into the Morocco Exhibition. Wow! So the following week while in Paris I took the train to Algeceiras and the ferry across to Morocco.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Flew stand by CDG-SOF and there was no space. My option was to get a hotel and stay one night at CDG and try on next day's flight. I opted to use my DL benefits and rode CDG-JFK-CDG in J. It was free and I still got to CDG on time to catch my flight to SOF.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Late 80's in Toronto. At the usual Friday afternoon decompression session with some colleagues the conversation drifted to how much better the bars were in Montreal and that they stayed open later. A plan formed, cabs were hailed to the airport, tickets purchased and 8 of us were drinking on St. Laurent until the wee small hours. Caught the first flight back to Toronto the next morning.
So was Montreal better than Toronto? Cool story anyhow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.