Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Disasters

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Air Disasters

The Smithsonian channel has a show called "Air Disasters" that I love to watch. It documents plane crashes and the steps they take to solve the mystery of what happened.

My son has caught me watching this show 2 hours before I leave to get on a plane. I'd watch it on the plane, if it were available.

My son says this is extremely bizarre behavior. "Mom, it's really weird that you can watch this show and then get on a plane without a care in the world".

Is it odd that this doesn't bother me in the slightest?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Doesn't bother me a bit. Informs you what to check for!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by Faydra
The Smithsonian channel has a show called "Air Disasters" that I love to watch. It documents plane crashes and the steps they take to solve the mystery of what happened.

My son has caught me watching this show 2 hours before I leave to get on a plane. I'd watch it on the plane, if it were available.

My son says this is extremely bizarre behavior. "Mom, it's really weird that you can watch this show and then get on a plane without a care in the world".

No. But this really isn't Delta specific .

Chances of a plane crash are slim and it's the most safe form of transportation.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, feel free to move this to a more appropriate place, mods... I'm new and only hang out here, since I only fly Delta.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member

I read every book I could find on tech diving accidents before during and after all of my tech diving training. I read many (maybe all) of the books on the Andrea Doria as well every other tech diving disaster that I know of. I think it makes me a better educated tech diver. I have over 75 dives on mix below 200 feet without incident. Well, I think I got bent in my middle two fingers, wrist and elbow once but the wrist and elbow pain went away within 15 minutes on O2. The finger pain was gone a couple of months later.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:32 pm

my wife HATES it when i watch it while we are in flight
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Its a Canadian series (orig.Mayday) that has been on for a few years - I think they are on their 15th season)

They did make a Delta-specific episode (DL191):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18...und_shortfilms
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I watched snakes on a plane coming back from Hawaii. The film is set on that exact same route from HNL>LAX. I did feel like I needed to hide my screen from the FA though.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is not a DL specific topic so I am moving it to TravelBuzz.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
I do the same thing, I watch it and fly the next day with no problem. My other half who hates flying wonders how i can watch this and fly with no problem.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It could upset people if you watch this stuff during the flight or even in an airport lounge, although of course other people shouldn't be paying attention to your computer screen or device.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: *A, PD
Most times when I fly, I will watch Mayday the week before since I have nothing really else to do. But one time when I flew Etihad in Econ in a 3-4-3 seating style, they had Contagion on the IFE. This was a 13.5hr flight, very bizarre to watch that movie while flying.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
It is an awesome show.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

No - I do too.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Doesn't bother me a bit. Informs you what to check for!
Exactly

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It could upset people if you watch this stuff during the flight or even in an airport lounge, although of course other people shouldn't be paying attention to your computer screen or device.
precisely

I am a scientist - Chemistry/Materials - anything like this fascinates me. I have done quite a bit of aeronautical engineering/Material Science. I love looking out of the window and commenting during heavy turbulence about the wings bouncing -they are doing exactly what they are designed for. PAX dont usually like me pointing it out though.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Good timing. There were a bunch of episodes back-to-back-to-back on Sunday. I watched as many as I could, however, I could feel Mrs. dchristiva peering into the family room with her "what on earth are you watching?" look. I explained that I like aviation and all of the forensics that are involved in figuring out what went wrong in each episode. I went on to explain that they can almost always trace the "fault" back to a handful of things that may have seemed minor at the time, but had a huge bearing on the end result. Lastly, I explained that, while I'm not in the aviation business, I see a lot of parallels to my own work and analyzing/assessing "how things went wrong" from time to time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.