Community
Wiki Posts
Search

speaking the country's language

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Meh.

Pretty much everyone under 50 everywhere in the world speaks at least some English these days. At least everyone under 50 who is well off enough to fly internationally.

Within a generation this "problem" will more or less take care of itself.

Nothing wrong with learning languages. But realistically speaking, if you speak English, it's all you need for business. It's the international business language. When a German and an Italian transact business, they do in English.

I remember when I was in high school in the 80s and there was a panic about Japan taking over. Seemed like overnight there was a mad rush to learn Japanese. My high school offered it an elective my senior year. Now it's same OMG OMG OMG we all have to learn Chinese. And wasn't the USSR supposed to dominate the world too at some point and knowing Russian would be important? Yeah I seem to recall that argument made as well.
How'd all that work out?
So, you seem to be recommending being a boorish, culturally tone-deaf clod?

Anyone who travels internationally for business should know 3 or 4 languages, if not fluently, at least functionally. Even when visiting a foreign country for vacation, spending a few weeks learning the basics is a very, very good idea. I've been to many places in the world where no one knows a lick of English. Granted, I actively seek those places out...

Living in DC, I'm working on my Amharic, so I can interact with cabbies.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos
do you have any evidence? If you go to JFK and find a random worker who appears black vs white, who is more likely to speak another language?
I am pretty sure if you look up statistics I am correct.
While I'm not typically one to play the "racist" card, I feel compelled to do so in this instance because you seem to be far out of touch with what "America" is about.

1) Your "statistics" are meaningless because the US culture facilitates inter-racial bonds to the extent that "black/white" categorizations are overtly offensive

2) If you live in Europe and want to travel 1,000 miles away --for business or pleasure-- chances are that foreign language skills will be of use; this is not the case in the US

3) Maybe where you're from, fluency in foreign languages is a prerequisite for intelligence, but the majority of Americans can get by fine with English alone
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
My high-school French teacher was an African-American who spoke impeccable French. He taught me so well that I get compliments in France forty years later. After I graduated, he also took on Spanish classes. I think he spoke German as well.
Yeah well, there would have been a reason he was a high school teacher and not working a service job that requires little to no education.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt

Originally Posted by Palal Mandarin, English and Spanish, Arabic, Benghali, Hindi, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, German in that order. French is nowhere near the top. It was 100 years ago, but no more :P .

It's an official language in nearly 40 countries...I'm not sure where you get your info.
Country <> country. They aren't all equal. Outside of France I can't think of a major country where French is the dominant language.

1) China: Mandarin, various dialects, English
2) India: Hindi and English
3) US: English
4) Indonesia: Bahasa, English, Dutch, Portuguese
5) Brazil: Portuguese
6) Pakistan: Punjabi, English
7) Nigeria: English and various tribal
8) Bangladesh: Bangla, English
9) Russia: Russian
10) Japan: Japanese, English

Those 10 countries constitute half the population of the planet. None of them use French.

BTW, I have been in all those countries except Brazil. English is fine in all of them.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
[QUOTE=Tchiowa;23880458]Those 10 countries constitute half the population of the planet. None of them use French./QUOTE]

So unless a country has a lot of people, it's unimportant. Gotcha.

Not sure where you were in Russia that English was "fine." Outside of tourist-facing places is Moscow and St Petersburg, you'll find almost nobody speaking English.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
[QUOTE=ironmanjt;23881669]
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Those 10 countries constitute half the population of the planet. None of them use French./QUOTE]

So unless a country has a lot of people, it's unimportant. Gotcha.

Not sure where you were in Russia that English was "fine." Outside of tourist-facing places is Moscow and St Petersburg, you'll find almost nobody speaking English.
I didn't say it "unimportant". I'm saying it's less important than the major languages. French is simply not an important international language any more.

Yes, I was in Moscow.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
[QUOTE=Tchiowa;23883292]
Originally Posted by ironmanjt

I didn't say it "unimportant". I'm saying it's less important than the major languages. French is simply not an important international language any more.

Yes, I was in Moscow.
Yes, French's role is diminishing in importance. It used to the language of diplomacy, a role it now has to share. However, it still has a lot of speakers, and that number of speakers is growing not shrinking, unlike Russian or Japanese. It remains one of the major international languages and will be for some time to come because it is also widely spoken as a second language.

It isn't just number of speakers that makes a language important. Even though it now shares its dipomatic role with other languages, it remains one of the world's major diplomatic languages.

UN Languages: English, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Chinese...and French.

EU Procedural Languages: English, German...and French.

It is one of the working languages of: OECD, NATO, ECOWAS, WTO, WIPO, WADA and FIFA.

All deliberations of rhe European Court of Justice are conducted in...French.

It is one of two official languages of the IOC.

It isn't dead yet - it isn't even sick.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
It isn't dead yet - it isn't even sick.
There are a number of industries where knowledge of French would be extremely useful. Many of these industries involve luxury goods. A number of graduate programs in mathematics require knowledge of French, German, or Russian as a lot of important papers are written in those languages.

IIRC, pilots have the option of speaking to CDG ATC in French instead of English and a lot of them choose to do so.

Those who say that Parisians are cold and unfriendly often do not take the time to learn at least some French. Paris is a wonderful city full of very helpful people if one learns and uses some polite phrases in French.

Living in the US, it's relatively easy to learn some Spanish thanks to bilingual signs in many stores. Self checkouts at many stores have Spanish language functions which are a great way to learn Spanish as well.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Everyone should speak two languages... their native language... and English.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:23 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've often been in places where the only English I hear is Italo Disco.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Everyone should speak two languages... their native language... and English.
What if one's native language is English? Are they exempted from being worldly?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE

Living in the US, it's relatively easy to learn some Spanish thanks to bilingual signs in many stores. Self checkouts at many stores have Spanish language functions which are a great way to learn Spanish as well.
My French vocab (French being an official language of Canada, you know, the second largest country in the world) has improved no end since I moved here, given everything, from the "pistaches, grilles et sales" to the "lingettes déesinfectantes" on my desk are in both languages!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:13 am
HMO

Originally Posted by emma69
My French vocab (French being an official language of Canada, you know, the second largest country in the world) has improved no end since I moved here, given everything, from the "pistaches, grilles et sales" to the "lingettes déesinfectantes" on my desk are in both languages!
But not exactly the 2nd most in population...
In fact, Canada sits at 38th in this case
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by brendog
What if one's native language is English? Are they exempted from being worldly?
It does highlight the difficulty in choosing a 2nd/3rd language for native English speakers.

English's use as a lingua franca around the world is the probably one the biggest impediments to foreign language learning in the US. Quite interesting that as the world has globalized, English has become more important rather than less.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by HMO
Originally Posted by emma69
But not exactly the 2nd most in population...
In fact, Canada sits at 38th in this case
Both of you are correct:
1. By area in square kilometer, Canada appears to be the 2nd largest (source).
2. The top 3 largest countries by population are China, India, and US (source).

To pick a 2nd (or 3rd, or even 4th) language/s to master bases on either population or area index (or both) is too simple a criterion. Although English can be a popular choice internationally, there are other determinants to factor in as well.

The bottom line is speaking only one language can be very inadequate nowadays for worldly travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.